How the Democrats Can Use Moral Foundations Theory Against Trump[ism]

Fun CH

Re: How the Democrats Can Use Moral Foundations Theory Against Trump[ism]

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:31 am Note that there are also Republicans against trump[ism]... :-)
I wonder what that number is?

Consider that only 10 Replucians voted to impeach Trump for his role in the Jan 6th insurrection.

147 Republican House members ( 139) and Senate (8) voted to support Trump in his efforts to over turn the 2020 election results.

And now "Over 120 Bills Restricting LGBTQ Rights Introduced Nationwide in 2023 So Far"

http://www.aclu.org/press-releases/over ... 023-so-far

And women's rights to bodily autonomy are successfully under attack. That effort includes a bill in Va. (now shelved) to monitor a women's menstrual cycles.

And for the moment,

"Florida backs off athlete menstrual data, but debate lingers"

https://apnews.com/article/florida-mens ... 0providers.

So many issues to address, yet here and other internet forums, a minority of Democrats think using derogatory name calling to debate these issues is a sensible strategy.

Since when did liberals decide that harassing fellow Americans by using derogatory language supports progressive ideals? Doesn't everyone have a right to freely express their beliefs without being harassed?

From the web;

"Verbal harassment shall include derogatory remarks, jokes, or slurs and can include belligerent or threatening words spoken to another. Verbal harassment shall include derogatory remarks, jokes, or slurs, and can include belligerent or threatening words spoken to another."

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
noun
a supporter of a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Re: How the Democrats Can Use Moral Foundations Theory Against Trump[ism]

Post by pasayten »

Note that there are also Republicans against trump[ism]... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

How the Democrats Can Use Moral Foundations Theory Against Trump[ism]

Post by Fun CH »

This is why I believe threads posted on this forum and many others, which are filled with derogatory name calling, heresay evidence which often times is taken as truth, and over all general nastiness, are more then not, harmful. You all are appealing to right leaning bias (humans emotional elephant) which only confirms what they believe to be true about liberals. What is that? That it is we who are seeking authoritative control, lawless etc.

I added [ism] to thread title because while this article is old, it still applies.

"How the Democrats Can Use Moral Foundations Theory Against Trump
Posted by Jonathan Haidt in 2016 US Presidential Campaign, Moral Foundations in Action, Politics

Tom Edsall of the New York Times just published a column giving responses from me and other professors and political strategists to this question: Given the many claims and promises Donald Trump has made which will be impossible to fulfill, how should the Democrats refute them? (E.g., Trump’s claim that he would grow the economy by 6% per year, or end birthright citizenship.) Edsall printed the best parts of my response, but as long as I have a blog where I can post my entire response, here it is:

HiTom,

Your question presupposes that the Democrats should be trying to create better arguments. Yes, they should, but that is not the place to start. One of the basic principles of psychology is that the mind is divided into parts that sometimes conflict, like a small rider (conscious verbal reasoning) sitting atop a large elephant (the other 98% of mental processes, which are automatic and intuitive). The elephant is much stronger, and is quite smart in its own way. If the elephant wants to walk to the right, it’s going to, and there’s no point in trying to persuade the rider to steer to the left. In fact, the elephant really runs the show, and the rider’s job is really to help the elephant get where it wants to go. This is why all of us are so brilliant at finding post-hoc justifications for whatever we want to believe. And this is why, in matters of politics and morality, you must speak to the elephant first. Trump did this brilliantly in the Republican primary, and in his convention speech. But how will he do when he appeals to people in the broader electorate?

I think the Democrats need to tell a story about Trump that activates deep and powerful moral intuitions, so that vast numbers of voters find their elephants moving away from Trump. At that point, good arguments will stick.

I think there are two main approaches. The first links to deep moral intuitions about fairness versus cheating and exploitation. Trump presents himself as a successful businessman. But a good businessman creates positive-sum interactions. He leaves a long trail of satisfied customers who want to buy from him again, and a long trail of satisfied partners who want to work with him again. Trump has not done this. He thinks about everything as a zero sum interaction, which he usually wins — and therefore the person who dealt with him loses. I think the Democrats should give voice to a long parade of people — former customers and partners —former customers and partners — who deeply regret dealing with Trump. Trump cheats, exploits, deceives. Trump is a con-man, and we are his biggest mark yet. Don’t let him turn us all into suckers.

The second approach is to link to moral intuitions about loyalty, authority, and sanctity. These are the moral foundations that authoritarians and ultra-nationalists generally appeal to, and Trump sure did this in his convention speech. But these can be turned against him too. Trump talks about patriotism (a form of loyalty), but he seems to be pals with one of our main adversaries (Putin) while telling our friends in the Baltics that we may not defend them. In these ways he brings shame to America and weakens our stature among our friends. The moral importance of authority is in part that it creates order, and Trump talks a great deal about law and order, yet he is the chaos candidate who will throw America into constant constitutional crises, throw the world into recession, and throw our alliances into disarray. The moral importance of sanctity is that it brings dignity and exaltation to people, places, and institutions that can unite people who worship things in common. The psychology of sacredness evolved as part of our religious nature, but people use the same psychology toward kings, the constitution, national heroes, and, to a decreasing degree, to the American presidency. Trump degrades it all with his crassness, his obscene language, his fear-mongering and his inability to offer soaring rhetoric. What a contrast with Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Reagan.

So I don’t think the Democrats should focus on raising doubts about his specific promises at this point. They should focus on linking Trump to violations of deeply held moral intuitions. If they can first speak persuasively to voters’ elephants, they will then find it much easier to speak to the reason-based riders, and to raise doubts about the specific things Trump has promised."

https://righteousmind.com/how-the-democ ... nst-trump/
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King