Shootings in Schools

Jingles

Re: Shootings in Schools

Post by Jingles »

Then the same legislation should apply to gun manufacturers instead of being able to hold them responsible because some idiot flipped out
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Jingles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:20 am ……are not held liable because congress passed a law exempting them from liability…..
Had you done your homework you’d know that such liability protection was NOT done just for Covid vaccines. It was passed by Congress - years and years ago - to insulate companies who produce the effective and needed vaccines we all benefit from. Otherwise, no company could operate; they’d be forever defending themselves from crackpot medical types and suit happy attorneys.
It was the correct legislation for Congress to pass.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

So you just wanted to change the subject, now I get it.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

The same as NRA does,, nothing, unless you are so blind to facts that you imagine the NRA is responsible for the school shootings, in which case you can say the senators accepting money from big pharma, who is responsible for the deaths of those dying from adverse effects from the vax, and are not held liable because congress passed a law exempting them from liability so they could push the big experiment and use human guinea pigs on the populace without ramifications
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

What would big pharma donations have to do with shootings in school?
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Rideback wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 am Senators that have accepted money from the NRA.
Mitt Romney (UT)
Richard Burr (NC)
Roy Blunt (MO)
Thom Tillis (NC)
Marco Rubio (FL)
Joni Ernst (IA)
Rob Portman (OH)
Todd C. Young (IN)
Bill Cassidy (LA)
Tom Cotton (AR)
Pat Toomey (PA)
Josh Hawley (MO)
Marsha Blackburn (TN)
Mitch McConnell (KY)
Ronald Harold "Ron" Johnson (WI)
Mike Braun (IN)
John Thune (SD)
Shelley Moore Capito (WV)
Richard Shelby (AL)
Chuck Grassley (IA)
John Neely Kennedy (LA)
Ted Cruz (TX)
Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Steve Daines (MT)
Johnny Isakson (GA)
Cindy Hyde-Smith (MS)
Roger Wicker (MS)
Rand Paul (KY)
Mike Rounds (SD)
John Boozman (AR)
John Cornyn (TX)
Ben Sasse (NE)
Jim Inhofe (OK)
Lindsey Graham (SC)
Mike Crapo (ID)
Jerry Moran (KS)
John Barrasso (WY)
John Hoeven (ND)
Jim Risch (ID)
Susan Collins (ME)
Deb Fischer (NE)
James Lankford (OK)
Tim Scott (SC)
Kevin Cramer (ND)
Bill Hagerty (TN)
Roger Marshall (KS)
Tommy Tubberville (AL)
Cynthia Lummis (WY)
Now I wonder which senators also support banning books and banning women's health rights??
Would also be interesting to see which senators have accepted funds from or own stock in Big Pharma
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:48 am Lauren Boebert replies to shooting, 'We are not a democracy'

https://crooksandliars.com/2023/03/laur ... s-were-not
here is her actual reply to the latest child Massacre . That quote you posted is her reply to calling for a gun ban. Yes I think facts are important even when they don't support my POV.

"Lauren Boebert
@laurenboebert
·
Mar 27
My prayers are with the beautiful children whose lives have been lost, their families & the first responders who are dealing with this tragedy in Nashville!"

And some replies on Twitter to this shooting.
FsQmgylWAAQ1jpL.jpeg
FsQmgylWAAQ1jpL.jpeg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
FsZpvyiaUAALx6q.jpeg
And the online cycle repeats itself. Its clearly not working fellows, I don't think you are going to get this weapon banned anytime soon.

"The gun that divides a nation"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/i ... -politics/

"Calls by Democratic politicians to renew the ban fell short, with some in their own party voting against it at key moments. Almost no Republican would even entertain the idea. President Donald Trump briefly considered pushing for a ban, asking aides at one point why anyone needed an AR-15, but backed away after advisers warned he would anger his base as well as the NRA.

“The protection of the AR-15 has become the number one priority for the gun lobby,” said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), a vocal supporter of stronger gun laws. He added: “It makes it harder to push this issue on the table because the gun lobby does so much messaging around it.”

Free from congressional scrutiny, the AR-15 has become a consumer product like none other — a barometer of fear and a gauge of political identity, its market success driven by the divisions it sows."
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Lauren Boebert replies to shooting, 'We are not a democracy'

https://crooksandliars.com/2023/03/laur ... s-were-not
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Sorry bur have to disagree and say the study is incomplete and basically false as the projectile from an AR 15 is no more damaging than from a single shot rifle as it is not the rifle but the projectile that determines the amount of damage. I.e. a FMJ Full Metal Jacket bullet is more likely to pass through a target with much less damage than a PSP Pointed Soft Point or a bullet that is Frangible, sometimes called fragmenting. The PSP expands some while in flight from when fired to when it hits the target and once it hits a target it can and often does expand in diameter to double it's diameter or even more, while a frangible bullet almost explodes shortly after impact sending pieces of projectile material in several forward directions. These results happen regardless what type of weapon they are fired from.
Also the projectiles from an AR 15 are not any faster than a projectile fired from a weapon of the same caliber.
That article was published for the sole purpose to feed an agenda of instilling fear in the uneducated people about the AR platform rifles.
AND for clarification in case some don't know AR does NOT stand for Assault Rifle is stands for Armalite Rifle who was the manufacturer of the current platform sporting rifle back in the late 50's early 60's. When they were a po* in the jungles of SE Asia, one reason they were call Mattell toys.
Additional FYI if interested, FMJ's are more often used for target practice because of lack of expansion , PSP used more often used in big game hunting and frangible used for fur bearing predators, i.e. coyotes, bobcats because depending on the distance to the target will more often than not, not even have an exit wound which has to be repaired prior to selling the fur.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Senators that have accepted money from the NRA.
Mitt Romney (UT)
Richard Burr (NC)
Roy Blunt (MO)
Thom Tillis (NC)
Marco Rubio (FL)
Joni Ernst (IA)
Rob Portman (OH)
Todd C. Young (IN)
Bill Cassidy (LA)
Tom Cotton (AR)
Pat Toomey (PA)
Josh Hawley (MO)
Marsha Blackburn (TN)
Mitch McConnell (KY)
Ronald Harold "Ron" Johnson (WI)
Mike Braun (IN)
John Thune (SD)
Shelley Moore Capito (WV)
Richard Shelby (AL)
Chuck Grassley (IA)
John Neely Kennedy (LA)
Ted Cruz (TX)
Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Steve Daines (MT)
Johnny Isakson (GA)
Cindy Hyde-Smith (MS)
Roger Wicker (MS)
Rand Paul (KY)
Mike Rounds (SD)
John Boozman (AR)
John Cornyn (TX)
Ben Sasse (NE)
Jim Inhofe (OK)
Lindsey Graham (SC)
Mike Crapo (ID)
Jerry Moran (KS)
John Barrasso (WY)
John Hoeven (ND)
Jim Risch (ID)
Susan Collins (ME)
Deb Fischer (NE)
James Lankford (OK)
Tim Scott (SC)
Kevin Cramer (ND)
Bill Hagerty (TN)
Roger Marshall (KS)
Tommy Tubberville (AL)
Cynthia Lummis (WY)
Now I wonder which senators also support banning books and banning women's health rights??
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

just-jim wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:27 am .
The answer to the issue of too many guns, or too easy access, is NOT more guns.
We have been doing that, unsuccessfully, for a number of years.
Doing the same thing over and over and over, while expecting better results, is a definition of insanity.
you mean kind of like arguing this issue on the internet. Same polarized "taking points", same result.

The WP decided to show the damage an AR15 round does to the body.

"This is the trauma witnessed by first responders — but rarely, if ever, seen by the public or the policymakers who write gun laws."

Warning: Graphic images

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/i ... uman-body/

"Any bullet can kill, and instantly, when it hits a vital organ. The higher speed of a bullet from an AR-15 causes far more damage after it hits the body and drastically reduces a person’s chances of survival.

“As that bullet slows down,” said trauma surgeon Babak Sarani, an authority on casualties from mass killings, “that energy is so massive it has to go someplace, and your body will literally tear apart.”"
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

They have found, in the book "The Coddling of the American MInd" that children growing up in these times have been praised repeatedly, even it is not warranted. I do think that praise should be offered however, to encourage children, when praise is warranted. I did get a swat on the fanny at times, but I don't think that is really a good option now. Hitting sends the wrong message. I never had to have a time out however.
Jingles, we grew up in a different era. We were taught respect and discipline. I don't know what has happened now except that maybe parents are working so much they don't have the time or make the time in their already exhausting schedules. Social media, we didn't have. Where I grew up, we didn't have as many extracuricular activities. But I lived in the country, 25 miles from my school. Others were farm kids and had chores, not all kinds of sports to participate in. Then again sports teach teamwork and cooperation.
What is the answer. Posting signs, like Ken says? It might help.
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

pasayten wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:13 pm
People and times have changed...
Would we agree that a lot of it is because people in general are Not held accountable for their actions and when say kids do something wrong (even when they know it is wrong) excuses are made for their behavior from being in a single parent family setting to being in a depressed economic household? IMO all to many parents used to many time outs instead of a good paddling on the backside. Not just current kids but kids all the way back to the 70's and 80's kids that are having kids now.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

I use to be able to walk down the neighborhood streets with my .22... Buy bullets at the hardware store... I lived in Seattle... Go to the dumps on the outskirts and plink rats... Nobody got shot at schools back then... I am 75 now... Graduated in 1965... No gun violence or significant drugs in school then...

People and times have changed...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Ray while we ( you and I) might not agree on everything I totally that is definitely way to many schools, but in you research delete the schools where shootings occurred since schools were made gun free zones where people with evil intentions can find "soft targets" with little fear of encountering "armed protection"
I am of an age where we had a rifle team while in school and where teen age boys and girls often had rifles and shotguns in their vehicles in the school parking lots because right after school they participated in a School sponsored rifle team or sheet team.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

The answer to the issue of too many guns, or too easy access, is NOT more guns.
We have been doing that, unsuccessfully, for a number of years.
Doing the same thing over and over and over, while expecting better results, is a definition of insanity.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

All of the "good guys with guns" at Uvalde made one hell of a difference. If someone is suicidal and doesn't plan on living through the shooting, having more armed people on location probably makes them **more** willing to go there. "Suicide by cop" is indeed a thing.

On the mental health thing, my point is that in the states we already have an extremely poor mental health system and extremely poor access to it, plus the fact that we have curious laws that make it difficult for anyone to intervene when somebody is having a crisis. One way to make the problem of mass shootings less bad is to change those curious laws and make it easier and less legally risky to intervene. I have my doubts that we will ever effectively implement something like that, even if only because the resources required to make it happen would be enormous and people would scream bloody murder at the very idea of spending that much money.

So I guess all we can do is sit here and watch children die.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

It's not that America has more nut cases or lone wolves.
It's simply that those with a grievance have easier access to weapons.
More guns in schools, churches, grocery stores only makes it harder for law enforcement to enter, identify who's responsible and protect the public and themselves. More guns is the opposite of a solution it's an NRA answer that makes more sales to the manufacturers.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Maybe stop announcing to all that schools are “gun free zones”! How about signs that say ‘Anyone on this campus may be armed’ (Good luck!) Deterrence is a REAL thing, these shooters are evil and cowards but they’re not stupid. Show the list of all the cop stations and gun shows that have been shot up and the number of people killed.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

pasayten wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:25 am So why does our country have so many more messed up folks than say the UK? Or does it really boil down to gun control?
I think it was jingles - posting in another thread - who said that…it was ‘evil people’, not guns, that were responsible for the bad things done with guns.

It’s hard for me to believe that people in the US, as a whole, are 144 times more ‘evil’ than the people of Canada or France are.
50318238-6D96-4F23-877D-036131D7E0DC.jpeg
It’s the sheer number of guns, and the easy accessibility to them for people who shouldn’t have them.
I think it always has been.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

So why does our country have so many more messed up folks than say the UK? Or does it really boil down to gun control?
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Something honestly needs to be done!
Yes, something honestly needs to be done...

You could, in theory, do something about this problem even without regulating firearms in any way. But you'd need a very intrusive early warning system that identified people at risk to do things like this and intervene with them, again in a very intrusive way. What I'm saying is that you'd need the same network of mandatory reporting and the like that goes on with possible cases of child abuse for adults who are undergoing a spiritual emergency. And you'd need to detain those people (the vast majority of whom would never seriously consider hurting anybody) until you'd sorted things out, and if you do determine they are at risk you'd have to provide treatment for them, whether they consented to the treatment or not. Such a system would, like all systems we set up, be prone to abuse and manipulation by other people.

So like I said, you could in theory do something. For me, honestly it is a poor cost/benefit tradeoff.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

And the answer we will get is to have more security with guns and armed teachers. What is so hard about having red flag laws and enforcing the background check laws we have now? The girl in Nashville had 7 weapons she had purchased legitimatetly. Gee she must have had to work overtime to purchase these weapons.
Besides the wars going on, we are quite a violent country. It may be said by some people that it has always been this way. It had not in any way been like what we are seeing now.
Pearl Cherrington
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

27 years ago, a gunman entered Dunblane Primary School in Scotland, killing 16 kids and a teacher.
The UK govt responded by enacting tighter gun control legislation.
In the 9850+ days since, there have been a total of O school shootings in the UK.
ZERO, in a country of over 67 Million people.
pasayten

Shootings in Schools

Post by pasayten »

Saw this post on facebook... Shootings in schools... I had no idea the list was this long... Dang... :cry:
Covenant School
Thurston High School
Columbine High School
Heritage High School
Deming Middle School
Fort Gibson Middle School
Buell Elementary School
Lake Worth Middle School
University of Arkansas
Junipero Serra High School
Santana High School
Bishop Neumann High School
Pacific Lutheran University
Granite Hills High School
Lew Wallace High School
Martin Luther King, Jr High School
Appalachian School of Law
Washington High School
Conception Abbey
Benjamin Tasker Middle School
University of Arizona
Lincoln High School
John McDonogh High School
Red Lion Area Junior High School
Case Western Reserve University
Rocori High School
Ballou High School
Randallstown High School
Bowen High School
Red Lake Senior High School
Harlan Community Academy High School
Campbell County High School
Milwee Middle School
Roseburg High School
Pine Middle School
Essex Elementary School
Duquesne University
Platte Canyon High School
Weston High School
West Nickel Mines School
Joplin Memorial Middle School
Henry Foss High School
Compton Centennial High School
Virginia Tech
Success Tech Academy
Miami Carol City Senior High School
Hamilton High School
Louisiana Technical College
Mitchell High School
EO Green Junior High School
Northern Illinois University
Lakota Middle School
Knoxville Central High School
Willoughby South High School
Henry Ford High School
University of Central Arkansas
Dillard High School
Dunbar High School
Hampton University
Harvard College
Larose-Cut Off Middle School
International Studies Academy
Skyline College
Discovery Middle School
University of Alabama
DeKalb School
Deer Creek Middle School
Ohio State University
Mumford High School
University of Texas
Kelly Elementary School
Marinette High School
Aurora Central High School
Millard South High School
Martinsville West Middle School
Worthing High School
Millard South High School
Highlands Intermediate School
Cape Fear High School
Chardon High School
Episcopal School of Jacksonville
Oikos University
Hamilton High School
Perry Hall School
Normal Community High School
University of South Alabama
Banner Academy South
University of Southern California
Sandy Hook Elementary School
Apostolic Revival Center Christian School
Taft Union High School
Osborn High School
Stevens Institute of Business and Arts
Hazard Community and Technical College
Chicago State University
Lone Star College-North
Cesar Chavez High School
Price Middle School
University of Central Florida
New River Community College
Grambling State University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Ossie Ware Mitchell Middle School
Ronald E McNair Discovery Academy
North Panola High School
Carver High School
Agape Christian Academy
Sparks Middle School
North Carolina A&T State University
Stephenson High School
Brashear High School
West Orange High School
Arapahoe High School
Edison High School
Liberty Technology Magnet High School
Hillhouse High School
Berrendo Middle School
Purdue University
South Carolina State University
Los Angeles Valley College
Charles F Brush High School
University of Southern California
Georgia Regents University
Academy of Knowledge Preschool
Benjamin Banneker High School
D H Conley High School
East English Village Preparatory Academy
Paine College
Georgia Gwinnett College
John F Kennedy High School
Seattle Pacific University
Reynolds High School
Indiana State University
Albemarle High School
Fern Creek Traditional High School
Langston Hughes High School
Marysville Pilchuck High School
Florida State University
Miami Carol City High School
Rogers State University
Rosemary Anderson High School
Wisconsin Lutheran High School
Frederick High School
Tenaya Middle School
Bethune-Cookman University
Pershing Elementary School
Wayne Community College
JB Martin Middle School
Southwestern Classical Academy
Savannah State University
Harrisburg High School
Umpqua Community College
Northern Arizona University
Texas Southern University
Tennessee State University
Winston-Salem State University
Mojave High School
Lawrence Central High School
Franklin High School
Muskegon Heights High School
Independence High School
Madison High School
Antigo High School
University of California-Los Angeles
Jeremiah Burke High School
Alpine High School
Townville Elementary School
Vigor High School
Linden McKinley STEM Academy
June Jordan High School for Equity
Union Middle School
Mueller Park Junior High School
West Liberty-Salem High School
University of Washington
King City High School
North Park Elementary School
North Lake College
Freeman High School
Mattoon High School
Rancho Tehama Elementary School
Aztec High School
Wake Forest University
Italy High School
NET Charter High School
Marshall County High School
Sal Castro Middle School
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Great Mills High School
Central Michigan University
Huffman High School
Frederick Douglass High School
Forest High School
Highland High School
Dixon High School
Santa Fe High School
Noblesville West Middle School
University of North Carolina Charlotte
STEM School Highlands Ranch
Edgewood High School
Palm Beach Central High School
Providence Career & Technical Academy
Fairley High School (school bus)
Canyon Springs High School
Dennis Intermediate School
Florida International University
Central Elementary School
Cascade Middle School
Davidson High School
Prairie View A & M University
Altascocita High School
Central Academy of Excellence
Cleveland High School
Robert E Lee High School
Cheyenne South High School
Grambling State University
Blountsville Elementary School
Holmes County, Mississippi (school bus)
Prescott High School
College of the Mainland
Wynbrooke Elementary School
UNC Charlotte
Riverview Florida (school bus)
Second Chance High School
Carman-Ainsworth High School
Williwaw Elementary School
Monroe Clark Middle School
Central Catholic High School
Jeanette High School
Eastern Hills High School
DeAnza High School
Ridgway High School
Reginald F Lewis High School
Saugus High School
Pleasantville High School
Waukesha South High School
Oshkosh High School
Catholic Academy of New Haven
Bellaire High School
North Crowley High School
McAuliffe Elementary School
South Oak Cliff High School
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Sonora High School
Western Illinois University
Oxford High School
Robb Elementary School
Weston High School

This is horrifying list and how long it is. It’s so scary this keeps happening…. I’m scared for my kids school all the time and so many others I know with children.
Something honestly needs to be done!
pasayten
Ray Peterson