Why don't registered voters vote?

realoldtimer

Re: Why don't registered voters vote?

Post by realoldtimer »

In spite of the way politicians, governments, and other entities toss around millions, billions, and trillions, it is an incredible amount of money!

Just ask a senior citizen living on Social Security.

Of course, I remember when a dollar was worth more than a hundred cents, and would buy more than five gallons of gasoline.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

realoldtimer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:13 am Andy Borowitz's humor column in The New Yorkee was about money spent on campaigns, not running the election process.

I remember asking my wise,, old grandfather years ago why nyone would spend so uch money to get a job that annually psid such a small percentage of the campaign expenses. He said it's not about the salary.
Well, then it isn't really that much money at all... If you look at what businesses pay per customer to get that customer with direct mail, online, radio, or television and multiply that by the number of campaigns and voters it seems like they aren't spending that much.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

Andy Borowitz's humor column in The New Yorkee was about money spent on campaigns, not running the election process.

I remember asking my wise,, old grandfather years ago why anyone would spend so much money to get a job that annually psid such a small percentage of the campaign expenses. He said it's not about the salary.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Is ten billion dollars really excessive? That's approximately $50 per registered voter. That number might be a bit high but it isn't insane.

What do you think it costs to compose, print, and mail the voter's pamphlets they send to every registered voter? I'd guess $5-$10 per voter right there.

And the staff required to run the election, train volunteers, count ballots all cost money. Even if a lot of the workers are volunteers somebody needs to recruit, train, and manage the volunteers and you also need to develop training materials for the volunteers. None of that is free either.

The voting machines (if used) and vote counting machinery itself is a capital cost but needs to be amortized and again costs money.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

Maybe it's just another cash cow, like Andy's humor post?

“When you imagine what you could do with ten billion dollars, you immediately think of building new roads or schools,” a citizen of Montenegro said. “But America’s roads and schools must be in excellent shape, if they can afford to spend ten billion dollars on elections instead.”
By Andy Borowitz
realoldtimer

Why don't registered voters vote?

Post by realoldtimer »

About 50% voted --
I thought this election was important.

Strange -
https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/20221108/okanogan/