Dem States have higher life expectancy

mister_coffee

Re: Dem States have higher life expectancy

Post by mister_coffee »

Now Americans have a lower life expectancy at birth than China. Thanks Republicans!

https://qz.com/china-life-expectancy-ex ... 1849483265
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Rideback wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:26 am Thinking of the current example of Mississippi where the Rep leadership chose, once again, not to provide a community with potable water, where decades of corrupt behavior by the Rep's in power where they chose policies to line their own pockets and those of their wealthy have lowered the quality of life and eventually life expectancy itself.
I have been thinking about this recently. And thinking about it in terms of Heather Cox Richardson’s discussions about ‘Southern Democrats’ of the 1870s onward keeping policies in place to prevent southern blacks from voting.

It seems to me that, in many parts of the US, the same system has stayed in place for 150 years (although the ‘D’ was replaced by ‘R’ about 60 years ago). So, what exists now in many Southern States is that a small minority of wealthy, white landowners who have greatly benefitted from leaving the rest of the population - black and white - uneducated, in poor health, under employed….and most importantly, AFRAID of outsiders. It’s why there is a State like Kentucky being represented by this fool.
B6AA53A8-FAAB-4D86-B54A-8D93B75FA6EA.jpeg

And that is what many want us to return to, now…. “States Rights” and all. A system where State legislators rule just as they have for a century and 1/2. Powerful evidence that we need a strong federal system. As most saw in this country beginning in the early part of last Century.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Well, ya, pretty much my point.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I don't think that is the case.

To make this non-political, take a look at this chart showing average internet costs in cities around the world:

https://www.newamerica.org/oti/reports/ ... -findings/

Now at a quick glance you can see that not only do Americans pay much more for Internet access, most of that access is capped and they need to pay even more for additional data.

Now I do know that in both Korea and Japan there is very much a cultural bias that paying more for something gives you more status and the unwritten assumption is that by paying more you are getting more. Yet per-month internet access costs in Seoul and Tokyo are much lower than most places in the States, and the averages are too.

Similarly (and much more political) we pay much more for law enforcement services than most European countries, yet crimes here are solved at a much lower rate than in any European country. Why exactly is that?

I do believe that you could build a very plausible political movement around this thesis. The very short summary is that Americans are getting ripped off. They are being ripped off by businesses, their government, and sometimes by themselves. So maybe we should just try and fix that.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Perhaps we Americans have fallen into the trap in more ways than one to believe that more expensive = better quality, just as too many believe that wealth equates to better personhood.

Thinking of the current example of Mississippi where the Rep leadership chose, once again, not to provide a community with potable water, where decades of corrupt behavior by the Rep's in power where they chose policies to line their own pockets and those of their wealthy have lowered the quality of life and eventually life expectancy itself.

Liz Cheney voted for policies that Trump, McConnell, Kochs and Mellons favored 90% of the time. She doesn't favor policies that are demonstrated to improve the lifestyles of everyday people. Yes, she has been profoundly brave to buck Trump & his party but that doesn't make her politics any more palatable than Dick Cheney's.

Health care matters, environmental health matters, the health of our judicial system matters. Where good policies that protect people from the pilagers exist we will thrive.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

You should keep in mind that all of those things (unemployment, income, education, and crime) are in one way or another correlated with life expectancy.

I do think that there is a larger point that we Americans have gotten used to paying more money for poorer results and services. This includes public health and health care, criminal justice, internet access and cell phone service, and transportation. Not all of those are services provisioned by the government.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

As a previous Republican/Independant (I did vote for Obama)... and especially before the trump/maga sh**show came along... I am glad in this regards to live in Washington... :-)

Liz in 2024!!!
pasayten
Ray Peterson
just-jim

Dem States have higher life expectancy

Post by just-jim »

Now, along with lower unemployment rates, higher income, better education rates and lower crime rates it turns Dem States have better life expectancy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ral-states

I wonder if it is a case of these measures being what they are because those States are full of Dem voters, or if they are Dem leaning States because people with these attributes make them so? Seriously…it is sort of a chicken or egg question….
Last edited by just-jim on Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.