General Wildfire Discussion

Information about wildfires, prescribed burns, and other fire related info for the 2021 season.
mister_coffee

Re: Wildfire Discussion

Post by mister_coffee »

After 2014 and 2015 I had the expectation that we, as a community, would have a fundamental rethink of what it means to live here and how we do so.

The fact is that because of land management history, climate change, increased population, and government neglect we are left to attempt survival in an environment that is challenging at best. And apocalyptic at worst.

I agree that a lot of fire mitigation prep work has been neglected. And that applies at all levels, starting with individual homeowners and going through local governments, state government, all the way up to the federal government. Only one federal agency has substantially increased prescribed fire use in the last twenty-odd years.

In 2014 we didn't have any kind of county-wide warning system. In 2021 we did have one, it just didn't work worth a damn: I received the level 3 evacuation notice for the Cub creek fire almost an hour after it was called in (according to the 911 dispatch logs). If I wouldn't have had decent situational awareness to actually see the smoke it is unlikely the warning would have helped me at all. If the idiots who started that fire did so near Lost River or Edelweiss I suspect people would have died.

We are going to have to do a lot better if we expect people to survive and thrive here.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

In times of emergency I wonder why the a lot of the fire mitigation prep work does not often occur before the fire emergency such as creating a fire break along hwy20?

Imo, We need to start thinking about logging strategic fire break clear-cuts.

I definitely do not like to see firefighters placed In Harm's Way doing this work in the unhealthy smoke conditions. That smoke increases their chances of cancer as does foaming agents.

“In all, researchers found that more than two-thirds of firefighters–68 percent–develop cancer, compared to about 22 percent for the general population…” “Firefighters…have a 68% higher risk of being diagnosed with cancer than the general population.”

https://firefightercancersupport.org/resources/faq/

We are always thankful for the firefighters and First Responders who help us in an emergency.

But let's help them and be prepared by allocating the money needed to manage our forests and the resources to attack small fires that have the potential to threaten our communities before they grow into uncontrollable inferno's.

And we all need be responsible and cautious in preventing human caused wildfires.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Time lapse videos of Virginian Ridge last night from above Big Valley, approximately 100x speedup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wayekdpndhq3te0/800.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdhev2lu3npz9v4/1130.mp4?dl=0
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

General Wildfire Discussion

Post by pasayten »

Folks, Feel free to post your own wildfire pictures, comments, and links on this thread.

How to upload a picture to your post...
Pictures can be displayed in a post by using the "attach file" option at the lower part of the new post interface. Choose the "insert inline" option and your picture will be displayed in the post.

Ray Peterson, aka pasayten
pasayten
Ray Peterson