Explaining the student loan forgiveness reasoning

Rideback

Explaining the student loan forgiveness reasoning

Post by Rideback »

'Stolen from a friend:

'Someone recently asked me how student debt cancellation helps those who already paid off their debt.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Not every program has to be for everybody. People with apartments pay for first time homeowner benefits. Young people pay for Medicare for our seniors. People who take public transit pay for car infrastructure.
Maybe student load forgiveness doesn't impact you. That doesn't make it bad. I am sure there are certainly other things that student loan borrowers' taxes pay for. We can do good things and reject the scarcity mindset that says doing something good for someone else comes at the cost of something for ourselves.
An example: If a person is blessed enough to be in a position to have paid off their loans, maybe they have a home now and benefitted from first time homeowners programs that people crushed by student loans help subsidize when they aren't about to buy a home because of student debt. It all comes around. It's okay. We can support things we won't directly benefit from.'