Roe vs. Wade

dorankj

Re: Roe vs. Wade

Post by dorankj »

“I doubt very much”, well that doesn’t matter much except to you! I assure you it is life and innocent and should have constitutional rights! If women want body control don’t bring another, separate DNA life into existence, many, many controls can be exercised to prevent that.

PAL, most are against late term abortions, so get your facts straight and thankfully we live in a republic so the ‘majority’ doesn’t get to vote on our rights, no ‘democracy’ decides basic constitutional protections either! You guys don’t have the majorities you think, that’s why you’re all freaking out.
PAL

Post by PAL »

From what I understand Roe v Wade was a Supreme Court case. It involved the Constitutional right to privacy. That is in the Constitution. Hence Roe v Wade upheld privacy. But not anymore. But there is a force, a force of women united, so watch out world.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

PAL

Post by PAL »

Majority of Americans are Pro Choice. What part of that do you not get Ken? Most normal people. Who is that? The majority? Then the majority has been found to support abortion.
You are in the minority. Get that?
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Your answer about the loss of an innocent life is equal to 'guns don't kill people' from the NRA. Both are deflections. Just as I know that another unarmed man won't shoot me, I know that abortion is about access even more fundamental than the right to bear arms. It's history goes back throughout this Country's beginnings and beyond. No one can say that abortion is singularly about taking an innocent life, full stop, that's simply a talking point that attempts to politically detonate what is a much larger and problematic situation that needs comprehensive policies, including recognition of civil rights. Your argument reminds me of someone saying they went to 6th grade so they consider themselves educated but then can't understand why they can't get a job.

Not once have I read where you've proposed or even supported any policies that protect and nurture children.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

That is assuming we all agree the "life" in question is "human" and "innocent".

I doubt very much that a cute little blastocyst is human and since it cannot be self-aware it is doubtful from a philosophical perspective that it can be innocent.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

And most normal people with a functioning brain know the difference between all your ‘examples’ is the death of another innocent human life! No ‘privacy’ protects that.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Abortion was not uncommon and legal since the beginning. This decision is “ahistorical”, but you didn’t bother to listen, did you? I didn’t expect you to understand the concept of ‘right’, anyway.
It’s pretty basic, though, as an un-enumerated right, like the right to move around the country and other rights of privacy.
Most 10th graders could explain it to you….
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

No, as the decision said, there was never a ‘right’ to an abortion, just like there was never a ‘right’ to a slave and the court rightly reversed a previous wrong decision and that has happened before (thank God).
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

So…you may read Heather Cox Richardsons daily screed…..but her podcast is good, too.

“Now and Then” is her weekly podcast. Along with Yale History prof., Joanne Freeman, they pretty much cover the history and politics of the US from the founding until early 20th century.

I don’t listen regularly, but this is a good one!
They are talking 2 weeks ago on the same day the Roe v Wade reversal decision came out…..and what it means:
- this is the FIRST loss of a constitutional right in US history,
- this period now mirrors the 1850s in a lot of ways,
- the combination of supreme court decisions on ‘guns, religion and abortion’ are unprecedented, and represent a dangerous place.

About 35 minutes…

Processing Roe’s Reversal in Real Time
Now & Then

Heather and Joanne react to the overturning of Roe v. Wade. How did we get here? What does the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs signal for the future of women’s reproductive rights and broader civil rights in America? What kind of unique perspective do women historians bring to understanding this moment?
Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/n ... 0567694095

jim
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

I have read them and really they’re not very compelling. They loosely try to link innocent mis-carriages (something no-one supports prosecution and I don’t believe will happen) and actual harmful behavior by the mother (yes, taking meth while pregnant IS harmful to the baby, just like after birth). Two different issues and yes different people in different states may handle them differently (again, democracy).
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

That's a lazy answer. Every link, every quote, every example argues for the reality that miscarriages and stillborn births are already being looked at as crimes. Come back after you've read the links and quotes in the article and stop with the opinions until you do. If you want a discussion, use links to actual research not useless opinions.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Awe, you’re a special one! You think NPR doesn’t lie and doesn’t have their own agenda to promote. They are literally government propaganda, I'm sure they’ll change their name to Pravda soon.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Miscarriages and stillborn births count!
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/03/11090153 ... nancy-loss
PAL

Post by PAL »

Ken, in some states miscarriage could be misconstrued as a woman having an abortion. Oh yes, they are watching. But women will prevail, let me tell you.
"I don't think". I couldn't help myself.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

haha, sounds like you're getting a little bit sensitive and overworked. My my.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

I had 3 people to respond to and I did, are you for real?
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

PAL from his responses it looks like you may be on to something! His whole conversation now seems to be word salads and distractions, jumping wildly from one non sensical talking point to another. Actually kind of fun to watch him bounce around.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Well, many women (above 80%) DO have an abortion for convenience or because they’re ‘not ready’. Do men and women get to decide what the punishment is for a mother who kills her child that is 2 months old? So that’s a dumb argument too!

What does having a mis-carriage have to do with whether or not it was a baby? You guys with your euphemisms, mis-definitions and excuses to try and remove your guilt for obvious evil! Let’s not kill innocent humans, pretty simple.

PAL, you’re just so clever! Whatever
PAL

Post by PAL »

Ken, you use, "I don't think" alot I've noticed. Subliminal? Meaning you don't think?
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

dorankj wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:59 am How does it “might become” a baby? I don’t think you understand science!
Um, ten to twenty percent of pregnancies end with miscarriages, and if the miscarriage occurs before a certain time the conceptus never becomes a baby. Where the exact line is is rather fuzzy and subject to debate.

The interesting thing about miscarriages is under the new regime in many states, any of those miscarriages could potentially be a crime. I guess the police are going to be awful busy sorting that out...
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
SharonLaVonne

Post by SharonLaVonne »

Ken, you don't get it. What makes you think getting an abortion is something women just do for the heck of it? It is a serious decision and Guess What? It is not yours to make. So tired of "so called" Christians and their attitudes toward women. That's right, no woman has been spontaneously made pregnant since the "Virgin Mary" - who of course, gave birth to a man to was a apparently the almighty Savior of the world. There-in lies the built -in crux of some men's belief that they are superior and get to make choices that are NOT their to make.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

How does it “might become” a baby? I don’t think you understand science!
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

I don’t think you understand federalism.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Calm down, my a..
Hey and what about all those frozen embryos, thousands of them in freezers, waiting to be implanted. Some probably get thawed out and never make it.
Abortion choice is not a whim.
There are at least 80 corporations helping women to cross state lines if need be, for health care choices and abortion, For once I applaud the power of the corporations. They are forging ahead despite the laws. They may force the issue, so there will be court cases.
Also, a 10 yr. old girl in Ohio was raped and then it was discovered she was 6 wks. and 3 days pregnant and it was too late, according to the arcane, backwards law of Ohio for her to get an abortion. But she was transported to Indiana where it was still legal. Not for long.
These are the kinds of things the Supreme Court did not take into account or the states.
Democracy, right, when the majority of Americans thought the Court should not overturn Roe v Wade. The majority in a democracy, not the minority, get that?
Pearl Cherrington