Jan. 6th

PAL

Re: Jan. 6th

Post by PAL »

Yes, to your post and about renouncing facts. That's why I won't post about the NY Tmes article on the other BB. I just want people to be aware and see how this all came together, that's the only reason I would post it. But it would turn into something.
I did notice in this video that the officers, keeping the insurgents at bay, did not wale on people, like the police do on people of color and the BLM protesters. Of course, I think they were freaked out by the size of the crowd. When the 1st person entered the capitol, it was just one insurgent momentarily with one officer, that didn't know what to do, according to the video. I wonder what would have happened if he had fired a shot, then ran away down the hallway. When the woman insurgent got shot, which we have seen video of, but this was of a closer range, the insurgents really backed off and went away. All round tragedy and I know I am second guessing. These officers were outnumbered greatly, but when I watched the video I wanted those officers to really crack some heads. I believe it would have turned into an awful blood bath however.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Unfortunately there is a large minority of our population, even here, that have developed a worldview that is impervious to reason and has nothing to do with reality.

In the best case, they need to lose a lot of elections in the next several years, and then conservatives and Republicans will start realizing what all this is costing them as well as the rest of us. Perhaps then they can realize they have gone down a bad path and they can rationalize their way out of it somehow.

In the worst case, a lot of people are going to get killed in a large-scale outbreak of idiotic violence. I doubt such people could really take over the government (largely because they are really only supported by a minority of a minority) but those of us who are reasonable adults and do not wish to see more people die are likely to be appalled at the results.

At times I worry that advocating too loudly for reason might actually be physically dangerous. We know the right-wing kooks are awfully free with their death threats, and there are enough of them that are kooky enough and armed enough they might decide that something someone says online is reason enough to go give them serious lead poisoning.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that I don't know if a peaceful dialogue with people who have renounced facts is even possible.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, don't we know what would happen on the other BB if I posted something like the title, telling people to look up Day of Rage. I think it would devolve quickly but maybe I should be brave and do an experiment. We can be opposed, but what about those that support? I wonder if there are people reading the other BB that would actually be in support? ( Or this one even) I don't see how either, but there are friends of mine that support the conspiracy theories about the vaccine.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I do not understand how being vehemently opposed to such insanity could be considered "divisive".
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Yep, It was a plain and simple insurrection... No question about it...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/politics ... index.html
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Jan. 6th

Post by PAL »

You won't see this link or any mention of this on the other BB. As it would cause divisiveness, but it doesn't matter, because there is no tolerance for what went on, on Jan. 6th.
The more I watched the angrier and disgusted I got. This is the best in-depth video and reporting so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politi ... rters.html

Pearl
Pearl Cherrington