GOP= GO Putin

mister_coffee

Re: GOP= GO Putin

Post by mister_coffee »

Volodomor Zelenskey is my new hero. Quote from him earlier today:

"I need ammunition, not a ride."

We'd be a very different country if we had elected officials, from any party, that had 1 percent of the courage and honor that fellow has. Unfortunately, it is unlikely he is going to survive coming events.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-ve ... 022-02-25/

Russia vetoes UN security measure to stop invasion
PAL

Post by PAL »

Right Chris. Americans have not had to sacrifice. We were told to go shopping long ago. Biden makes a promise to lower those prices, but he doesn't set those prices. Instead, he could say that it might be a bit difficult, and we may pay more at the pump and for other goods, but it is worth it. Don't pamper us. We have so much.
Now Putin has said that he will kill the families of the Ukrainian soldiers if they do not stop fighting. Wonder what Heir Trump says to that?
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:45 pm

Also, sanctions against oil trade would hit the Europeans hard as well as boost our price at the pump a few cents. But it's still winter and the Europeans count on Russian imports to heat their homes as well as fuel their cars.
very true however all that means is that we're not willing to make a few sacrifices to stop the killing by a brutal dictator designed to steal another free nation's resources. Those sacrifices would have an impact on the free world economies for a short time as fuel is diverted away from frivolities and toward necessities.

Its really a moot point I'm making because I don't think we're willing to put our money where are mouths are as long as the oil keeps flowing.

Same with global climate change. Lots of rhetoric and little action or sacrifice.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Well, this afternoon the Biden admin instated severe sanctions against both Putin himself and the infamous Lavarov.

Also, sanctions against oil trade would hit the Europeans hard as well as boost our price at the pump a few cents. But it's still winter and the Europeans count on Russian imports to heat their homes as well as fuel their cars.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

For all the tough talk condemning this invasion of Ukraine, Europe and the US are not willing to sanction the one commodity that would send the strongest message, ie, Russians energy markets.

In modern times, all the killing always seems to boil down to who controls the flow of oil.

The worldwide industrial war machine wins again and it's killing us.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Also, this increases the probability that Sweden and Finland will ask to join NATO.
PAL

Post by PAL »

General Hodges has pointed out that Putin may have made an error, however. Instead of temporary NATO forces around Ukraine in the NATO countries, they may become permanent.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

It is kind of humbling to watch people fight so hard for their country against a brutal foreign invasion.

On other notes, from DOD:
DOD: As we see it right now, Ukrainian command and control is intact. General sense from what the US is seeing is Russia is not moving as fast on Kyiv as expected.
and:
U.S assesses Russia has committed third of forces around Ukraine to offensive, official says.
PAL

Post by PAL »

And another thing. And this is divisive of me to say, but all those times I got to protest, the Vietnam War, police brutality and other things, I was told many times, "America, love it or leave it". Now I, I get to say to them, "America, love it or leave it." And yeah, it feels good to say it. I say it because I feel angry and I know in my heart it is not productive.
I guess it's obvious I love this country no matter the faults. The faults do need to be corrected and they can be. People do need to work together. We can't very well, as long as there are the Trumps, the Marjorie Taylor Green's, the awful Jim Jorden, etc. I will include Mitch but he probably doesn't side with Russia. He was known to say of the Obama admin. that he would block everything.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Keep it up Trump. His praising of Putin is putting Republican leaders in a bind according to the Seattle Times.
At first I thought he should keep his mouth shut, but now I am seeing how this is causing some trouble amongst the Republican leadership. The Republicans can easily get out of their bind by not supporting Trump.
So dig a hole deeper for yourself Trump.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

putin.jpg
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

oooooh! I'm going to throw up. People are so so ignorant and don't know history. It's like the saying used to be, "better red than dead". They are clueless and/or are wearing and saying things like that to push our buttons. I want them to go live in Russia. They would never be able to demonstrate or wear those T shirts.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

So far, at least, the Ukrainians are putting up quite a fight.

Apparently a Russian air assault on an airport just outside of Kiev (Hostomel Airport) was defeated.

Apparently the Russian advance on Kiev from Belarus has bogged down.

British Intelligence's assessment is that it is unlikely that Russia met its first-day objectives.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, we know he is a dumb...
Biden will be speaking soon and will talk about more extreme sanctions. Unfortunately it means putting the screws to the Russian people, who may rise up and object. There are some anti war protests going on right now in Russia, but some protesters have been arrested. It is said Russia is a police state. I guess that is what Trump supporters want here, huh.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

And didn't everyone know it, that Putin lied? When he said he wasn't going to invade Ukraine.
So he is a lier. And Trump loves him, but maybe not as much as Putin is not paying attention to him. Wah.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, that is too bad. Guess Puti decided to go for it before NATO gets any stronger.
So he takes Ukraine. Who's next? Will he try to go farther? Some are comparing this to Hitler's actions. Puti's long term goal could be to restore it to the USSR. Ack!
Just looked at the map. Scary.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Well, apparently there have been attacks, probably missile strikes, targeting Kiev, Odessa, and Kharkov. Explosions have been reported in all three cities.

You can get a more-or-less live feed of reports at:

https://liveuamap.com/
PAL

Post by PAL »

Gee, with all that good stuff, maybe the US should claim Ukraine.
But really, that is an impressive list. And good for them. Putin's gonna try for it. What will it take to prevent it?
Trump is insane, we know, now. After reading what you posted Mickey, how much more proof do people need to know he is so self absorbed and yes, insane. It's all about him.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Just so we all know….
For those who ask: “Why does Ukraine matter? “
This is why Ukraine matters.
It is the second largest country by area in Europe by area and has a population
of over 40 million - more than Poland.
Ukraine ranks:
1st in Europe in proven recoverable reserves of uranium ores;
2nd place in Europe and 10th place in the world in terms of titanium ore reserves;
2nd place in the world in terms of explored reserves of manganese ores (2.3 billion tons, or 12% of the world's reserves);
2nd largest iron ore reserves in the world (30 billion tons);
2nd place in Europe in terms of mercury ore reserves;
3rd place in Europe (13th place in the world) in shale gas reserves (22 trillion cubic meters)
4th in the world by the total value of natural resources;
7th place in the world in coal reserves (33.9 billion tons)
Ukraine is an important agricultural country:
1st in Europe in terms of arable land area;
3rd place in the world by the area of black soil (25% of world's volume);
1st place in the world in exports of sunflower and sunflower oil;
2nd place in the world in barley production and 4th place in barley exports;
3rd largest producer and 4th largest exporter of corn in the world;
4th largest producer of potatoes in the world;
5th largest rye producer in the world;
5th place in the world in bee production (75,000 tons);
8th place in the world in wheat exports;
9th place in the world in the production of chicken eggs;
16th place in the world in cheese exports.
Ukraine can meet the food needs of 600 million people.
Ukraine is an important industrialised country:
1st in Europe in ammonia production;
Europe's 2nd’s and the world’s 4th largest natural gas pipeline system;
3rd largest in Europe and 8th largest in the world in terms of installed capacity of nuclear power plants;
3rd place in Europe and 11th in the world in terms of rail network length (21,700 km);
3rd place in the world (after the U.S. and France) in production of locators and locating equipment;
3rd largest iron exporter in the world
4th largest exporter of turbines for nuclear power plants in the world;
4th world's largest manufacturer of rocket launchers;
4th place in the world in clay exports
4th place in the world in titanium exports
8th place in the world in exports of ores and concentrates;
9th place in the world in exports of defence industry products;
10th largest steel producer in the world (32.4 million tons).
Ukraine matters. That is why its independence is important to the rest of the world.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

No doubt Trump is still trying to curry Putin's favor to get his infamous Trump Tower built in Moscow. Since the rest of his faux empire is crumbling he needs to find a fresh con. That he might be looking to Putin as a fresh con is worth the smiles of speculation.