Did I miss something?

Rideback

Re: Did I miss something?

Post by Rideback »

Case counts across the US for the last couple of weeks have been on a steep decline. Those who remain unvaccinated remain at severe risk of infection and complications. The death rate has remained high but it's anticipated that it will follow the decline.

That said, our hospitals and health care system are still stretched beyond imagination and the cost of health care because of Covid has dramatically increased. Inslee must be under intense pressure to follow Oregon & California's decisions, glad he seems to be more cautious.

https://www.axios.com/covid-cases-death ... dd22d.html
Fun CH

Re: Did I miss something?

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:09 pm It seems like we have all became so exhausted by the pandemic that we are declaring it over. Many locations are lifting mask and vaccine mandates.

All this while new cases are still over 100,000 per day, and deaths are still over 2000 per day.

Maybe it is just me but it seems a tiny bit premature.

And I've heard a lot of people say that after Omicron nearly everyone has some immunity, either through infection or a vaccine. Which sounds good but a lot of people were saying exactly that about Delta last September. But I can't see any reason to think that would be true now but false in September.

A more realistic scenario than "the pandemic is over" is that we are going to get a reprieve for a few months. Hopefully we will be wise and use those few months to stockpile antivirals and prepare new booster shots for the next wave.
simple, more people are vaccinated and have had Covid now then last September.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2022021 ... stimate-us

"The high percentage of immunity from vaccination and previous infection tends to prevent or shorten new illnesses and reduce the amount of virus circulating overall. Health experts are now discussing whether the number is high enough to stop new waves or reduce the burden on hospitals"
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Did I miss something?

Post by mister_coffee »

It seems like we have all became so exhausted by the pandemic that we are declaring it over. Many locations are lifting mask and vaccine mandates.

All this while new cases are still over 100,000 per day, and deaths are still over 2000 per day.

Maybe it is just me but it seems a tiny bit premature.

And I've heard a lot of people say that after Omicron nearly everyone has some immunity, either through infection or a vaccine. Which sounds good but a lot of people were saying exactly that about Delta last September. But I can't see any reason to think that would be true now but false in September.

A more realistic scenario than "the pandemic is over" is that we are going to get a reprieve for a few months. Hopefully we will be wise and use those few months to stockpile antivirals and prepare new booster shots for the next wave.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea: