Covid high in the Methow Valley...

pasayten

Re: Covid high in the Methow Valley...

Post by pasayten »

Gee... Another Covid info thread was deleted on the methownet BB... Imagine that... :-)
Please explain...
Post by RedRonda » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:48 am

Is just the mention of Covid enough to get a post taken down?

I was simply providing information from Okanogan Health Department.

Ronda Bradeen
hearnoevil.png
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

I haven't seen any studies yet (remember it's only been around a couple of months) about reinfection with Omicron but I did see several studies that people who have had Delta are more likely to get reinfected by Omicron. I'd be willing to bet a nickel that those who are reinfected with Omicron have not social distanced or worn masks and may have put themselves at risk.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Guess I should proof read what I write.
I have a question. How much natural immunity does Omicron give to people versus people that have had the Delta variant. I realize this may be impossible to answer. But they are finding people do have a higher re-infection rate after getting Omicron.
Does this make more sense?
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

I don't understand your question. Could you reword please?
PAL

Post by PAL »

Most excellent points Rideback. And the news did announce a new variant off of Omicron.
I have a question. How much natural immunity give to people versus the Delta variant. I realize this may be impossible to answer. But they are finding people do have a higher re-infection rate after getting Omicron.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

We all tend to focus on the stats of how many contracted covid and of that number how many went to the hospital and then how many died.

But those numbers don't recount predictions of how the impact of a circulating virus within a population lends opportunity to covid to mutate, to increase the timelines of how many get the virus, the expense of bringing online another vaccine that is omicron specific, the expense of the govt provided masks & vaccines.

As long as there are unvaccinated people the virus will continue to thrive. As long as it thrives the more it will impact every aspect of our lives and diminish the quality we all took for granted.

Get vaccinated, wear a mask, social distance. We are not each other's enemies, the virus is our enemy.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Percent Vaccinated as of Jan 17th: 48%
Dang... That is low for the whole county, but not surprising with the reservation included. Twisp/Winthrop % is much higher.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

OCPH will post data updates each week on Wednesdays. Please be aware that these reports are not real-time and do not include every active case in the community on a given day. OCPH continues to work hard to verify and count every positive case that is reported to Public Health (from home tests, EMS testing sites, and clinics). We appreciate your
understanding that there will be a delay between when someone receives a positive test result and when the case appears in our data updates.
Thank you, Okanogan community!
-----
Updated numbers are for Jan 19-25, 2022

Past 7 Days: 662
Past 14 Days: 925
Total Positive: 6,910
Incidence Rate: 2,145
OCPH Verified Deaths: 78
WA DOH Reported Deaths: 108
Percent Vaccinated as of Jan 17th: 48%

Locations of New Cases January 19-25th:
Brewster - 102
Carlton - 6
Conconully - 1
Coulee Dam - 24
Elmer City - 14
Loomis - 3
Malott - 9
Mazama - 1
Methow - 1
Nespelem - 22
Okanogan - 47
Omak - 135
Oroville - 83
Pateros - 24
Riverside - 9
Tonasket - 67
Twisp - 62
Wauconda - 3
Winthrop - 48

Please visit our website in English or Spanish:
https://okanogancountycovid19.org/covid-19-data/
https://spanish.okanogancountycovid19.o ... -covid-19/
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Covid-19 Deaths in the U.S. Top 2,100 a Day, Highest in Nearly a Year...

Omicron variant, though milder for some patients, is spreading with record-breaking speed

Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. have reached the highest level since early last year, eclipsing daily averages from the recent Delta-fueled surge, after the newer Omicron variant spread wildly through the country and caused record-shattering case counts.

The seven-day average for newly reported Covid-19 deaths reached 2,191 a day by Monday, up about 1,000 from daily death counts two months ago, before Omicron was first detected, data from Johns Hopkins University show. While emerging evidence shows Omicron is less likely to kill the people it infects, because the variant spreads with unmatched speed the avalanche of cases can overwhelm any mitigating factors, epidemiologists say.

“You can have a disease that is for any particular person less deadly than another, like Omicron, but if it is more infectious and reaches more people, then you’re more likely to have a lot of deaths,” said Robert Anderson, chief of the mortality-statistics branch at the National Center for Health Statistics, which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The U.S. saw the highest numbers of deaths in the pandemic about a year ago, before vaccines were widely available, when the daily average reached 3,400. More recently, the Delta variant triggered a peak just above 2,100 in late September. Omicron has since muscled Delta aside and now accounts for nearly every known Covid-19 case, the CDC has estimated. The seven-day death average last topped the current level in February 2021, as the U.S. recovered from last winter’s surge.

Hospitals in the U.S. are struggling to staff medical facilities as a wave of Covid-19 cases sidelines healthcare workers. Some hospital administrators are being forced to turn to last-resort measures to ensure quality of care. Photo: Joseph Prezioso/AFP/Getty Images
Covid-19 deaths, though still largely composed of older Americans, trended younger as the Delta variant tore through southern states this summer and then older again as it moved northward, recent death-certificate data show. It will take more time for these data to reflect demographic trends during the Omicron surge, Mr. Anderson said.

The new variant’s breakneck speed and its arrival during the winter holidays, when states slowed their data reporting, complicated efforts to closely track the impact and so have changes in the way the U.S. detects and counts infections.

A surge in at-home testing, for example, is largely not counted in state case reports, said Beth Blauer, the data lead for the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center, which compiles pandemic data. This means the huge number of Omicron cases reported—the seven-day average topped 800,000 this month, more than triple the prior record from a year ago—is still likely undercounting the true number by a huge margin, Ms. Blauer said.

“I don’t think we have any appreciation for the volume of cases,” she said. The case average, recently trending lower but up early this week, was about 731,600 on Monday.

The case-tracking problem makes it difficult to determine the mortality rate from Omicron compared with prior variants, although there is growing evidence of Omicron being less virulent than its predecessors.

A new study the CDC released on Tuesday measured a high of nine deaths per 1,000 cases during the Omicron surge, weighing deaths against cases from three weeks earlier. During last winter’s surge, this number peaked at 16 deaths in 1,000 cases, and during the Delta surge, it reached 13 in 1,000, the study said.

There are several possible limitations in the analysis, including changes in testing and case tracking, a period when Delta and Omicron overlapped and the fact that vaccine coverage wasn’t taken into account, the study said.

“We’re still losing too many people a day for it to be in any way acceptable,” said Jodie Guest, vice chair of the epidemiology department at Emory University’s Rollins School of Public Health.

CDC data tracking rates of death by vaccination status have yet to catch up to the Omicron surge. Though Omicron is triggering many breakthrough cases in the inoculated, data have shown that infection rates remain higher among the unvaccinated and that those without shots are significantly more likely to be hospitalized.

In a positive sign, Covid-19 related hospitalizations are heading lower shortly after reaching the highest-recorded levels. Federal data also indicate Covid-19 deaths in hospitals have started to decline from a recent Omicron peak. The CDC says roughly seven of every 10 Covid-19 deaths occur in hospitals or other inpatient settings.

Some parts of the country, including major coastal states like New York and California, are also in recovery mode. A Wall Street Journal analysis shows 20 states representing 55% of the population have case averages down at least 20% from recent peaks.

At the same time, as Omicron fades in populous, coastal areas, it hasn’t yet peaked in less-vaccinated regions that could see a higher death rate, Mr. Anderson said. Deaths may climb yet further as they continue tracking the recent rise in cases, epidemiologists said.

“We know that deaths are a lagging indicator,” said Andrew Noymer, an infectious-disease epidemiologist and demographer at the University of California, Irvine. “I’d want to give it a few more weeks before I take any victory laps, claiming that we’ve been fortunate on the deaths side.”
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Facts from the Dept. of Health.

Unvaccinated 12-34 year-olds in Washington are:
• 2 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 12-34 year-olds.
• 5 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 12-34 year olds.
Unvaccinated 35-64 year-olds are
• 3 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 35-64 year-olds.
• 8 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 35-64 yearolds.
Unvaccinated 65+ year-olds are
• 4 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
• 7 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
• 13 times more likely to die of COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.

There are many repercussions in the choice not to vaccinate.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Yep... For example, the vaccinated Budrow family is eight for eight... no severe symptoms... (from Aimee's fb post)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Here's hoping you all are boosted. And stay safe out there.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

County has just published results for Jan 22/23 for a total of 209 cases, 21 of which are Carlton, Mazama, Twisp & Winthrop.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Latest case counts are as follows for the Valley from the 21st and 22nd.
Twisp-12
Winthrop-7
Age group is from 0-39 mainly.
Brewster, Tonasket way up. Go to the county's site to get more info.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

This is that holiday surge. We knew it was coming. It must be Omicron. My friends, family and I just mitigate as best we can. Limit busy store visits, avoid gatherings, I mean really, why did I move to the Methow, to get away from crowds. Ugh.
Wear mask in public places, wash hands. Always have washed hands before Covid after being in public places.
Thanks for posting.
And I realized that was for one day just now! I was thinking it was a 2 wk. period. Hope these people do not have it very seriously and don't have to be hospitalized.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Covid high in the Methow Valley...

Post by pasayten »

Jeesh... 25 for Twisp/Winthrop!!!

https://okanogancountycovid19.org/covid-19-data/
covidjan.jpg
pasayten
Ray Peterson