Roadkill harvest photoshoot stopped by threats to kill; man jailed

mister_coffee

Re: Roadkill harvest photoshoot stopped by threats to kill; man jailed

Post by mister_coffee »

Just a couple of general remarks on this mess.

My first observation is that the situation was thankfully resolved without bloodshed or death. It is hard for me to understand the arguments that this situation would have somehow came out better if a person with a firearm had intervened. Yes, you could say that it might not have been resolved without violence, but we know for a fact that on that day and on that place that the situation was resolved without anyone being harmed.

My second observation is that this has been a very difficult year for everyone. Some of us have handled it better than others, but I don't think anyone can really stand up and say they have handled every challenge life threw at them in the last year in an exemplary fashion. So we should cut everyone and ourselves a little slack.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Alf, Never said I would shoot him... But I would certainly have drawn my weapon and told him to stand down... You overreact a lot to anything that counters what you say... It has to go both ways to be fair...

Cheers

Ray
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm Alf,

Your explanation and justification is pure bs in my opinion... Jeesh, what a crock of crap...

They were LEGALLY harvesting the deer, NOT poaching... I carry and would have drawn my weapon if this clown came upon me and my family members the way he did... end of story...

Let the courts deal with him...

pasayten
Ray Peterson
Ray, I think Alf is just showing empathy for a friend who is experiencing a troubled time in his life.

When I hear about simular incidents involving veterans suffering from PTSD, my only hope is that they get the help they need.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Alf,

Your explanation and justification is pure bs in my opinion... Jeesh, what a crock of crap...

They were LEGALLY harvesting the deer, NOT poaching... I carry and would have drawn my weapon if this clown came upon me and my family members the way he did... end of story...

Let the courts deal with him...

pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

While not excusing the knife behavior, Alf , you offer an interesteing POV concerning disrespecting the animal by making an Instagram or Youtube show out of carving it up.

Unfortunately that is becoming the norm everywhere and in most every field of endeavor. It will take a new generation to reject the current public display of self ego stroking before that behavior disappears.
Last edited by Fun CH on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Well Alf, Not like him??? Not according to facts...

Bagge is currently on probation related to a January 2020 conviction on one count each of fourth-degree assault and harassment, both gross misdemeanor offenses, dating to October 2019, according to Okanogan County court records. He was sentenced two days in jail and 60 months of unsupervised probation.

what is his story??? Seems like he was in a very aggressive and bad mood that day... but he will have his day in court.

and from the local Newspaper...

MARCH 10, 2021 BY METHOW VALLEY NEWS

Alleged threats in confrontation over roadkill harvest

By Natalie Johnson

A Winthrop man was arrested Sunday (March 7) after being accused of using a knife to threaten two men who were harvesting roadkill.

Jan Bagge, 54, was arrested Sunday night on suspicion of first-degree robbery and felony harassment. He made his first appearance in Okanogan County Superior Court on Monday afternoon, and is being held on $250,000.

Two civil anti-harassment orders were filed with Okanogan County Superior Court in the case Monday, prohibiting Bagge from contacting the alleged victims.

An arraignment, at which Bagge will have the opportunity to enter pleas, is scheduled for Monday (March 15).

Judge Henry Rawson also ordered Bagge have a mental health evaluation.

According to the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office, deputies received a report of a robbery at 2:56 p.m. on Sunday, off Bear Creek Road in Winthrop near Pearrygin Lake State Park.

One of the two victims identified by the sheriff’s office, Ryan Bell, reported that he was working on a project about harvesting roadkill, which is legal in Washington, and was taking pictures of another area resident, Kenneth Bevis, harvesting meat from a roadkill deer.

Bell and Bevis were reportedly in the process of doing this when a silver Dodge truck drove up and its driver, holding a knife, walked toward Bell and Bevis, saying, “You must think this is really funny,” according to the sheriff’s office.

Bell ran down a hill away from the man, who reportedly then threatened to kill him.

Bell then took a photo of Basse standing over Bevis –who had fallen to the ground – with Bagge holding the knife.

Bagge allegedly ran at Bell with the knife, demanded Bell’s camera, and threatened to kill Bell and his children, who were on the scene as well. Bell threw Bagge in the camera, and managed to get into his car and lock the doors, according to the sheriff’s office.

Later that day, officers from the Winthrop Marshal’s office, the Twisp police department and the sheriff’s office went to Bagge’s residence, located the Dodge truck from the earlier incident, and arrested him at 6:58 p.m.

As of Tuesday morning, Bagge was still in custody at the Okanogan County Jail.

Bagge is currently on probation related to a January 2020 conviction on one count each of fourth-degree assault and harassment, both gross misdemeanor offenses, dating to October 2019, according to Okanogan County court records. He was sentenced two days in jail and 60 months of unsupervised probation.

pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I would like to see the photos of the incident.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
admin
Site Admin

Roadkill harvest photoshoot stopped by threats to kill; man jailed

Post by admin »

By Pete O'Cain
Wenatchee World staff writer Mar 8, 2021

WINTHROP — Authorities say a Winthrop man used a knife to threaten two men documenting a roadkill harvest.

A Mazama man was photographing a man from Twisp, who was removing meat from a deer, Sunday afternoon in Winthrop when they were allegedly threatened by 54-year-old Jan Bagge, according to a news release from the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office.

The Mazama man was working on a project about the harvesting of roadkill, a practice that was made legal in Washington in 2016.

The Twisp man was removing the meat near Pearrygin Lake State Park when Bagge arrived in a pickup and, armed with a knife, got out of the truck and threatened to kill the Mazama man, the release said.

The Mazama man fled to a snow-covered field and then Bagge allegedly turned his attention to the Twisp man, who tried to explain that the harvest was legal. The sheriff’s office said the Twisp man fell down and then Bagge stood over him with the knife.

The moment was captured in a photo by the Mazama man which prompted Bagge to allegedly demand the camera and threaten to kill the Mazama man’s two children, who were in a nearby car, the release said. The Mazama man gave Bagge the camera but then Bagge returned it to him shortly after.

The confrontation was reported to the sheriff’s office and deputies arrested Bagge on suspicion of first-degree robbery and felony harassment. He’s being held at the Okanogan County Jail and was expected to make a preliminary appearance Monday in Okanogan County Superior Court.
mugshot.jpg
mugshot.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 4226 times