Bible verse on wall in Sheriff's office...

dorankj

Re: Bible verse on wall in Sheriff's office...

Post by dorankj »

You have attacked me for running for elected position, labeled me with no evidence and slandered me because I hold differing opinions to you. Maybe on Christmas you can stick to your own opinion and information and not falsely accuse others?
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Stop putting false labels on people Alf! You know really nothing about me, you don’t WANT to know anything about me and you regularly demonize other’s for your fears and issues.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Good for this sheriff! I’ve never understood, we all should be able to ‘endorse’ anything we want regardless of what position we hold (freedom of speech). What you can’t do (and the constitution prohibits in government action) is ESTABLISH a state religion (that came from Church of England etal.) Why do the lefties always get to control the language?! Animal Farm was not supposed to be a guidebook.
pasayten

Bible verse on wall in Sheriff's office...

Post by pasayten »

Bravo for this Sheriff... :-)

North Carolina sheriff refuses to take down Bible verse in office, says he is 'afraid of burning in hell'
Jordan Mendoza, USA TODAY - Yesterday 4:45 PM

A North Carolina sheriff said he "will not waiver" after the Freedom from Religion Foundation requested he remove a Bible quote from a wall located inside the government office.

The quote – “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13." – can be seen in numerous photos shared on the Columbus County Sheriff's Office Facebook page.

However, the Freedom from Religion Foundation, a national nonprofit group that promotes the separation of church and state, is demanding the quote be taken down, saying it promotes exclusion and violates the First Amendment by "government sponsorship of religious messages."

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

"The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office must serve all citizens equally, whether Christian or non-Christian," foundation president Annie Laurie Gaylor said in a statement on Dec. 14. "A blatantly Christian message in a law enforcement division sends a message of exclusion."

"This bible verse display promoting Christianity in a sheriff’s office building is correctly viewed by a reasonable observer as an endorsement of religion, and is therefore unconstitutional," the foundation's attorney, Chris Line, said.

On Tuesday, Sheriff Jody Greene addressed the demand in a Facebook post. "The verse is one of my favorite Bible verses, and it seemed fitting for all the adversity I have had to endure," Greene wrote. He said before officers execute a search warrant or "any service that puts our people in immediate harm's way," they always pray.

"I was raised in church. I have been in law enforcement for over thirty years. My training taught me to value God, family, and my country," Greene wrote. "Companies spend thousands of dollars on motivational classes, to come up with motivational slogans. My motivation comes from the greatest motivational speaker of all times, Jesus Christ."

The sheriff added the quote was paid for with private funds and he intends to keep the quote up.

"I am not scared of much, but I am afraid of burning in hell," Green wrote. "Let me be clear, I will not waiver on my stance and Christian beliefs."

As of Wednesday afternoon, the post has received thousands of reactions and comments, mostly thanking Greene and the department for standing for their beliefs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Columbus County Sheriff's Office
December 21, 2021

Good afternoon, Columbus County citizens. I would like to address the recent news article WECT TV6 ran on me concerning a Bible verse that is posted on the wall at the Sheriff’s Office. The verse is “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13” First, the Bible verse was placed on the wall after I took office. It was paid for with private funds, not with county funding. The verse is one of my favorite Bible verses, and it seemed fitting for all the adversity I have had to endure. It is very motivational to me and my staff. Here at the Sheriff’s Office, we work hard in everything that we do. Before we execute a search warrant, or any service that puts our people in immediate harms way, we ALWAYS go to the Lord with a group prayer. ALWAYS!

I was raised in church. I have been in law enforcement for over thirty years. My training taught me to value God, family, and my country. Going back to the Bible verse, I have taken many pictures with that Bible verse in the backdrop with not a single issue, but now that we are going into an election year, it is an issue. How absurd! It seems to me we have a few sheep in wolves clothing. That’s all. This is a political ploy. Some want a person that they can control. Companies spend thousands of dollars on motivational classes, to come up with motivational slogans. My motivation comes from the greatest motivational speaker of all times, Jesus Christ.

Currently, in Columbus County, we are at 180 overdoses. Drugs and violence are killing our youth. We need more Jesus and less politics. I would like to thank the folks for all the phone calls and messages of support. Five of our County Commissioners and our House of Representative Brendon Jones have also called with their support.

I am not scared of much, but I am afraid of burning in Hell. The image shown below from The Freedom from Religion Foundation, mocks Christians’ fear of burning in Hell. According to their Facebook page, they have a contest for the Unabashed Atheist/Nonbeliever of the week. The virtual billboard shown below has the winner’s photo in a silhouette of the devil and flames. Just look at where our society is headed. It is time, past time, to stand up. So let me be clear, I will not waiver on my stance and Christian beliefs.

Merry Christmas and God bless you ALL!!
burnhell.jpg
pasayten
Ray Peterson