No Meat Mondays...

pasayten

No Meat Mondays...

Post by pasayten »

There was a movement for a school in a rural area of the UK to push "No Meat Mondays"... Maybe it should have been "No Sugar Mondays"... Be interesting to see how the no meat concept would work around here... :-)

From a facebbok post in the UK addressing the issue...

Red Shepherdess

There was uproar after mixed messages began flying around about a school taking the plunge to ‘no meat Mondays’. It came as a shock to many that there was even a contemplation of such measures from a school embedded within a rural community & county who have seen generations of farming families walk through the doors. It turns out some of the information wasn't accurate but it got me thinking about schools in general pushing this.

Whether schools make ‘no meat Mondays’ permanent or a one off, I fear the message they send out could do far more damage than what they realise with the reasoning for even trying this concept is to be more 'environmentally friendly'. Telling a significant proportion of students that their families livelihoods, bounded together by tradition and hard graft (over generations probably out seeing many schools existence) is suddenly deemed a waste or damaging to this world. And ignoring the fact that meat can be far more sustainable than vegan alternatives that are processed to death or flown half way across the world.

We talk about our children’s right to have choice. School canteens cater for all diets. There is a complete acceptance that if someone chooses to eat a vegan/vegetarian diet that is fine (which it is of course) and there is alternatives available. What I’m struggling with is why is it ok to take away childs right to choose by forcing them to eat meat free meals at school? The principle is EXACTLY the same, yet cover it in fashionable lingo about how it is more sustainable or 'better' and suddenly it is ok? There is no difference, it's unacceptable to push everyone into the same box without a care for their values.

Let's be realistic right now to feed an entire school at mass, can you actually get anymore sustainable than lamb (and many other meats here in Cumbria) produced literally on the door step of the school? Lets take lamb for example; roaming environments that crops can’t be grown on, living very natural lives high up in the fells, providing us with a diet that is hormone free and rich in nutrients and goodness to help us grow and thrive, and that hasn’t had to be flown half way across the world in order to do so. Is there really an alternative that is more sustainable that can feed so many individuals?

One good thing to come out of this was the reaction. Voices were loud & they were heard. Students from farming families & beyond spoke out, stood firmly and stuck to their own believes. I had endless conversations and many messages sent to me about this and after I processed it all I couldn’t help but just smile slightly, maybe the world isn’t ready to give up meat after all, maybe people really do understand & value the importance of meat in a diet, I know the people of Cumbria do.The reaction to this proves it.
red.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/redshepherdess ... 9775223370
pasayten
Ray Peterson