Kicked Off the Methownet BB

Fun CH

Re: Kicked Off the Methownet BB

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:51 pm I was told I was not considered one of their problem children.

Jeff and Maria are part of the problem. Thinking that you can run a public forum without moderation and instead rely on informants to do the job is disrespectful to the community.

Its their job to moderate the forum before the angst escalates and creates a bigger problem if that's the concern.

It will be interesting to see if the person who reposted his already deleted thread on taxing the second home owners to help fund affordable housing is banned.

That has happened to several people on the right already. But this guy seems to be left leaning so we get to see if a double standard is also in play.

This has been another episode of "As Methownet Turns". :mrgreen:
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, you might have known it was coming. And someone lodged a complaint as that is what they pay attention to. I know, as I complained about someone, none of this gang, of course, because most on here have been banned from Methownet! Ha.
When I talked to them I told them I got excited at times and hoped that I could still stay on. I was told I was not considered one of their problem children.
They have really clamped down. Some public service announcements are posted, such as the Commissioner meetings. But you better not make any comments, except to thank the poster.
They are now buy, sell, trade or maybe poetry can be posted, with a list of people's favorites.
So this is the place to put forth opinions, links, photos, discussions and most of the discussions have been pretty good without too many personal attacks. But there will be some. And it's almost like a family where we have spats and then move on.
Glad we have this and don't have to resort to the evil FB or other sites. This is homegrown.
Thanks,
Ray
Pearl Cherrington
Farmerbill

Post by Farmerbill »

We got kicked off both bulletin boards about 10 years ago for nothing. I called Jeff and Maria and they tried to fix it and said we should try entering through chrome. We tried everything and it just kept saying “we think your a bot”. We just gave up yet we can still observe but can’t comment or make a post. That’s unfortunate because we are local farmers and have regular good prices on meat or hay we produce. Marketplace won’t allow selling of any animals or animal products so until Ray built this site we only had word of mouth for informing the valley about good local raised meat.
I’ll defend Jeff and Maria to some extent because they do the site for free so it’s just out of kindness they even provide the bulletin board.
I hope nobody beats up on Ray because he’s such a nice guy and a real jokster. He’s such a Godsend to the Kiwanis with all his expertise on computers. They were really shallow on the computer stuff till Ray showed up.
Thank you Ray for your dedication to help our valley. God bless you🤙
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Not really interested in talking to them at the current time. Nothing there anymore that interests me. 😜
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Ray, have you called them and talked with them? It used to be a person could post a public service announcement but even now it doesn't seem to be allowed, because some smart arse will come on and turn it into an issue.
Chris, love the Groucho quote. Humor is the best medicine.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:35 am Well I am now permanently banned from the Methownet BB... Jeesh... I wonder what rules violations I violated? lol
Perhaps you were being TOO civil on that BB.

Did you not even recieve a warning?
I tend to join any Association with Groucho Marx's candor.
Attachments
images (11).jpeg
images (11).jpeg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 6197 times
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Changed the BB banner...

Pasayten Bulletin Board
Free voices of the Methow Valley - No methownet.com BB like censorship here!

:-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

That is a shame. And shameful.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Well I am now permanently banned from the Methownet BB... Jeesh... I wonder what rules violations I violated? lol
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Jeesh... They deleted my "Deleted Topics/Threads Methodology" thread... LOL... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Happy to see the MNBB staff remove another thread full of misunderstanding and misinformation. It started out as one informational post about a CCB meeting and quickly became a sh..show train wreck.

Question: If you all know these posts do nothing to further a civil conversation,will not change minds of your fellow posters, will most likely be removed and the BB staff is not interested in having these types of posts, why do all keep posting them on that site?

And for the record Bruce, Alf did not call you a racist. Always best to ask for clarification if someone's post is not clear to you.

also watch out for auto spell check changing your words that can lead to misunderstandings if not corrected.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Happy to see MN BB remove a thread that was a verbatim reprint of a Newsweek opinion piece entitled "How Fauci fooled America".

That thread, with no mention by the op that it was an opinion piece, snuck in after the MN office closed and was becoming contentious along with one post that was reprinted and fact checked on this BB.

http://pasayten.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=72&start=20
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 am

Chris, i still see your outbursts after i type anything.
just the statement that you have posted, but not the damaging words.
you can try to outski me, or let your dog attack me, or something.
So what you're saying is that you think I'm attacking you but you don't read my posts so you really don't know if I'm attacking you?

Got it..I think. :roll:
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Well it didn't take long for karlukkid's Colin Powell thread to be removed from the MV BB...
Colin Powell
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Once again Mr Bone Spurs goes out of his way to ridicule a distinguished veteran of the US Army, Joint Chiefs of Staff and the former Secretary of State who recently passed away. It is wrong to belittle veterans who have served our country especially in death. This comes from a man who has:

Cheated on all his wives
Broken the Law
Groped and sexually miss treated numerous women
Cheated on his taxes.
Lied repeatedly
Filed 4500 bogus lawsuits
etc

Yet this is acceptable behavior from the "leader" of his party.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:49 pm the staff has told me again and again that they are not so interested in hosting an opinion site,
with arguments that get mean sometimes.
they hope that we will trade some vegitables.
get rid of stuff that we do not want.
etc.
here is your place to let off steam.
yay ray!
that BB has always had problems in the opinion section from what I've been told by good, long time Valley residents who were driven away from posting by personal attacks.

Attacks that were never moderated by the owners unless brought to their attention by others. This of course creates a kind of Eastern Germany after World War II scenario where you are required to rat them out. (like you say your neighbors called County authorities on you, and you say you reported businesses that were not enforcing mask mandates)

Don't like someone's opinion or facts concerning public land issues? Rat 'em out, accuse them of slander and maybe that post will be removed or better yet, that poster kicked off that BB.

Is what you state the new policy Alf? If so, has that been communicated to its members?

Or are you all just tired of seeing your posts and threads disappear there? It does appear that contentious issues are no longer being discussed as of a couple of weeks ago.

I read the rules a couple of days ago and it states that opinion pieces still require signatures. So what you state doesn't appear to be the case unless the rule changes are lagging behind the new policy.
Attachments
images (5).jpeg
images (5).jpeg (5.87 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Nope! The true fascists are in control and will not tolerate any dissent. Some of us wrong thinkers have been removed and they will not even respond to requests for an explanation. False accusations and twisted reasoning trump truth and fair application of rights. I can be personally attacked (verbally) but if I respond in any way displeasing to the masters of our ’newspeak’ is verboten!
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Try...

https://bb2.methowvalley.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

No ads... No frames... Just BB :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Kind of funny, but I can no longer access the Methow BB from home. I'm guessing that my IP address is blocked.

This message appears.

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Is this a matter of they don't enjoy discussion of their BB on this site?

Of course I can still access that site from a different IP. So what's the point really.
Italian_Helicoptor

Post by Italian_Helicoptor »

Fun CH wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm My voice was stopped at the BB. I called Maria to discuss this issue and some of that discussion is contained within this email I sent to her.

"Dear Jeff and Maria Hardy,

From speaking with Maria today my understanding is that my account was banned on the bulletin board because people were complaining about what I had to say.

It's interesting that none of my posts were removed prior to this Banning, or warning notice given.

Maria mentioned that it was her understanding that Jeff had talked to me about this issue. However when I spoke to you Jeff, you were mainly concerned about political posts and made it sound like you were seeking my advice on how to deal with the issue. You further stated that (you) actually agreed with what I had to say concerning my political position

My advice was to not allow political discussions and later a thread started by Jeff detailed how political discussions were no longer allowed.

However the political discussions kept happening. And I kept commenting a few of them.

Maria informed me that you do not monitor the site unless a post is reported, and that the only way to control the site would be to end all discussion.

IMO, it does not seem like you are being responsible to the community by not moderating your own site. Maria even mentioned that lack of moderation sounded kind of "wonky".

I suggested that it might be a good idea to end discussions. Perhaps you should consider just being a want ad and sell site, community events calendar, and current events such as emergencies, fire, etc.

From reading your site I'm not sure you understand what harm your BB actually does to the community. You have a lot of people using the site to complain about their neighbors or groups such as Bruce's rant against Mtn Bike riders.

I have spoken out against that as well as how our North Cascade mountains are being commercialized and most recently against Reviving the recreational District idea, so it's no wonder that I've riled a few feathers. My voice apparently stands in the way of people making some cash off public resources.

But who knows I don't have the Inside Story on what people complained about exactly or who was doing the complaining.

Also, a lot of misinformation is passed along on your site such as Alf telling people it's not safe to go to the hospital right now which is contrary to medical expert advice. That issue spurred on a lengthy back and forth with Alf with a lot of miscommunication.

We know that miscommunication and misunderstanding is one of the faults of internet forum discussion.

I totally get that removing me from your sight may be a business decision on your part as Maria suggested that you were pulling your hair out trying to figure out what to do with my account.

I would have first suggested an honest discussion with me personally. That would have been the respectful thing to do.

However, I have no longer have control over my posts and therefore I do not wish them to continue to be published on your site.

To that aim I request that you remove all of my posts within 10 days.

Thank you,
Chris Hopkins"
Lol...come to the dark side and join the club...I too am banned...lol
BIDEN=> Biggest Idiot Democrats Ever Nominated
Not drinking your Kool aid!!
Not Vacinated, Never Will Be!!
My carbon footprint, is bigger then YOURS!!
PAL

Post by PAL »

Me too. They start off like an announcement, for facts, but then opinions start coming in and before you know it, it degrades. I found out, if you do call them and complain about a post, they will remove it, after they look at it. I did not call on this one, but did on one that I felt started getting abusive towards me. April says they do not want people who glom onto other people and are making assumptions and disparaging remarks.
But I should have known better to comment. I opened myself up.
Actually on this BB, we've been having some civil discussions, asking questions, a back and forth that I don't feel is hostile.
And..yes, I know I was sensitive and took things personally when we kind of went at it.
By the way, do you know about the movie, filmed in Jan. and Feb. in 2020, called Stoke the Fire? It's about heli-skier Sage Cattbriga-Alosa. Do you know of him? The review said they talked with the local hardcores about skiing up there. And now, as it was last year, it may become a hotspot, as they rave about it. But add it is hard to get to.
Just wondering about your thoughts on this and I know I went off subject, but since I have your attention..
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Was happy to see the MNBB remove a long Covid misinformation diatribe.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Yes, probably best to vent to a friend. But some people, I guess want the whole world to know. I'm including myself in there at times.
Regarding South Cr., I spoke with a person, whose name I promised not to mention, that got permission from the landowner, to cross. I think that's what is required. Just talk to him. Not call him names. Access to the trail came about because Jack chose to close it off due to people vandalizing his cameras, leaving nasty notes and crossing anyway. Then once the ranting began, he dug in deeper. To repeat he didn't give access before the BB rants came about.
I have every reason to believe my friend did talk to April and that is what was discussed. But I think you are largely right that they will only take a post off if there is a complaint. On the hospital post, I thought there were probably complaints even before it was finally removed. It was getting divisive.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:38 am A friend of mine talked to April at Methownet, and April says she does monitor it. How often, who knows.
The solution would be to have a separate category like Methow.com does. Which never gets used. Gone by the wayside. But that would mean they would still need to clean it up occasionally.
I think sometimes the posts start out as public service announcements, but someone will always comment, not necessarily negative. People need a place to vent. FB, Twitter and Instagram allow for that, so people need to go there. Many people don't like those forums however for various reasons.
Glad we have this one. It's been mostly respectful on here.

Quote: "A friend of mine talked to April and she said"..

That of course is hersay evidence. The fact is that Maria told me that they don't read it. Perhaps the policy changed because the optics of not moderating your own forum doesn't look good. Still that forum doesn't look moderated until a member reports a rule violation.

As far as needing to vent. The internet is a goldmine to psychologists studying human behavior. Research is showing that online venting may feel good for the short-term but it's just making people angrier in the long run. So it's really not good for you.

And look at the results. A more divided country and a platform to repeat hateful and misinformed rhetoric. Why is that?

Politicians, PR firms, con men and ad agencies understand very well how to manipulate human psychology in order to sell product.

Another local result is losing public access to the South Creek trail through online venting that contains utterly disrespectful comments directed towards property owners asserting their rights.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Honestly, words just fail me.

Thinking about the hospital thread yesterday, and re-reading it this morning (thanks again, Ray!) I realized the "conversation" there was analogous to having a discussion with an adult who believes in Santa Claus. They go off about the North Pole, elves, reindeer, and going down chimneys. I felt I was patiently explaining to them why they were mistaken.

It is both immensely frustrating and kind of absurd. Which most tragedies are.

When you zoom out, what we have right now in this country is a large population who are in the middle of an existential mental health emergency. That's why adults are freaking out on airplanes (over 3000 events so far this year, as opposed to around 150 in a normal full year). That's why I've seen grown men throw full-on temper tantrums that would impress any four-year-old in Wal-Mart. I also think that's why so many people are willing to believe absurd conspiracy theories about COVID-19, public health measures designed to keep people safe, and vaccines for the disease. Or for that matter about the 2020 election.

As for that other board, it seems that if they are going to keep it, they should have a clearly written policy as a sticky thread and they should stick to their policy and enforce it in a consistent, clear, and transparent fashion. It also wouldn't hurt if they recruited respected members of the board's community to be moderators.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

A friend of mine talked to April at Methownet, and April says she does monitor it. How often, who knows.
The solution would be to have a separate category like Methow.com does. Which never gets used. Gone by the wayside. But that would mean they would still need to clean it up occasionally.
I think sometimes the posts start out as public service announcements, but someone will always comment, not necessarily negative. People need a place to vent. FB, Twitter and Instagram allow for that, so people need to go there. Many people don't like those forums however for various reasons.
Glad we have this one. It's been mostly respectful on here.
Pearl Cherrington