Kicked Off the Methownet BB

PAL

Re: Kicked Off the Methownet BB

Post by PAL »

Well, Gonzo, if you are a troll, then so am I. The last thing I posted on that BB was about the playing field that got vandalized and there were many people concerned about it. LocalSince1994 said it was a witch hunt and it degraded from there. I said it wasn't, that it was vandalism and someone should be charged and I pointed out LocalSince1994 didn't sign their name. I knew when I did that it would be taken off. I think there was one more comment but it was taken down before we could see it.
You may have seen the post. I was being ornery, but not ornery to be banned...yet. I hardly make any comments or post anything that could be controversial and actually any subject can be.
They are doing what they think is best for the community and what they offer. That is why we have this alternative BB and I think overall we are quite civil to each other and maybe respectful. After all I did start laughing whenever Ken started posting, you know, Let's Go...I can't quite write it, even though I can laugh at it.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Welcome to the club Gonzo! No censorship of subjects and discussion here! Subject areas, offsite links, BB code, and pictures also welcome... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Gonzo'57

Post by Gonzo'57 »

Greetings to all my fellow banned friends!

I've been banned from the MVBB for the second time! Reason - Trolling, which I find interesting as I had been posting MAYBE three times a month for quite a while. The first time I was banned was because I dared to ask what the advertisers on the MVBB thought of all the folks being banned form the board. Advertisers generally want more people, not less, viewing their paid for advertisements.

Anyway, banned again. I emailed the MVBB and asked for an explanation and have seen nothing from them. It's been at least two weeks. I let them know that I fully support their right, as a privately owned enterprise, to ban anybody they please.

Looking forward to bantering and bickering and sharing opinions and viewpoints with all of my fellow MVBB ostracized brethren.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Didn't see anything in the methownet BB rules about not posting subjects of local issues and concerns... This seems to be a somewhat new situation. Evidently their revenue from advertising on the BB page is not enough to fund a moderation function/person... Sooo... just remove anything that might cause division or conflict in discussion.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
joseysranch

Post by joseysranch »

I think MethowNet are sticking to their metaphor of the traditional "bulletin board." Where posting for-sales, wanteds, losts, and announcements is expected... and where pinning up an essay about the merits of the democratic party, vaccine efficacy, and housing solution debates would be anathema.

And that's ok. I view removing a contentious thread from the BB in the same moral context that I would view taking a political flyer off of my neighborhood's cork board by the mailboxes. It's just not what the thing is up there for.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

A few threads with high drama below, mainly because they are concerning competing public land use and conflict.

I had a thread on TAY called "Snow Bikes coming to a slope near you" that had around 29,000 views. The thread was about the increasing technology of snow machines now making it easy to access historical BC ski terrain.

Another one of my threads on TAY with muli-thousands of views was one about North Cascade Heli-ski corperation breaking the law when it cut up and down a bunch (rhymes with funch) white bark pine trees, which are a federally listed sensitive species, in order to create unauthorized helicopter landing Zones.

These contentious issues draw views but also a shine light on those issues.

I did break one of the rules there at MN BB when speaking out against NCH corporate owner Paul Butler, who allegedly borderline threatened me (police report filed), presumably for my involvement in exposing his law breaking, high Environmental impact, corporation that's turning our formally pristine mountains into Disneyland.

And that's happening all with the blessing and good spin doctoring of our Forest Service.

I thought the issue had local and National political, environmental, and public health significance and was somehow OK to post there.But that BB was in a much-needed transition to ending this type of discussion because it was getting out of hand.

Post script:

If you go high up into those formally pristine mountains from January through Mid April and listen very carefully amongst the silence, you will hear a sound. At first it will sound far off in the distance but going louder and louder as it finally draws near enough to do damage to your ears and the very core of your being.

That sound you will hear is the sound of money.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:38 am Factoid of the day...

This is the 3rd highest viewed topic on this BB...
Only Wildfires and Tristan are above...

9125 Views! Jeesh
people seem to enjoy drama.
Last edited by Fun CH on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
tristanbgilb

Post by tristanbgilb »

I got my RADIO stream back up after it being disabled for some time. Hopefully that will get me back into the groove with the christmas mix our programmer has going at the station. I can just crawl back into my little corner and be occupied again.

Image <=NUCLEAR BUTTONImage

KFAC-LP 105.5 FM Twisp WA
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Factoid of the day...

This is the 3rd highest viewed topic on this BB...
Only Wildfires and Tristan are above...

9125 Views! Jeesh
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Fun CH wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm And you say you are banned again. Was the last one temporary?
Previous one said permanent... but I emailed them... They reinstated me if I promised not to post links to my BB and talk about it... Guess the "email me to view deleted content" re-offended them...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 am The Methownet BB is in a smaller frame inside a webpage that has money making advertising on it... They generate revenue from it... You would think they could dedicate some staff time expense for active moderation... ... :-(
yes I agree, that BB is part of their business model so clicks are important.

Don't think they are lazy, most likely can't afford to pay someone to monitor the site. That's why volunteer moderators that don't offer extreme political POVs would be a welcome addition.
pasayten wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:16 pm Jeesh... I am banned again for my reply that said I could be emailed for access to view the deleted affordable housing post.

And you say you are banned again. I guess the last one was temporary? How about this one?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Jeesh... I am banned again for my reply that said I could be emailed for access to view the deleted affordable housing post. No direct links to this BB or direct mention of it... Just that folks could have access to view the saved deleted content... Most of which was a great discussion of the issue and possible methods of solution that folks spent good time and effort writing...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

I don't know if Todd is banned yet. He doesn't come on that much but it is usually something snarky. The person who attacked me hasn't been banned, but the post was removed. This was a month or so ago. And he has occasionally been on since then.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 am
I have become very disappointed with the current status of the methownet BB as a local resource... :-(
yes their Wildfire coverage this season was full of poor information, poor communication and misinformation. Not what you want during an emergency situation.

I remember one particular rant by Todd of Mazama who didn't seem to like members of the community driving to Mazama seeking fresh air or observing the fire situation.

When I was on the site, he would always come on and trash the discussion until the thread was removed. When that type of derogatory nonsense is allowed for any period of time, it appears to be acceptable behavior and continues.

Is he banned yet?

All I can think of is that type of behavior in a thread generates clicks which benefits their advertising Revenue.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Pearl, I've been called a troll on a few forums. I'm always sincere when presenting my POV however when a person happens to disagree with that POV often they will become triggered, react emotionally and call me a troll.

On internet forums the word troll is becoming a form of derogatory name-calling.

Its always better when triggered to take a break, see if you're misunderstanding the post and then offer a
constructive counter point if need be. Although, not easy to take that break. (emotional triggering is going to interfere with a persons critical thinking, human factors again).

While it's understandable that MN staff gave a reason for banning Alf, it certainly wasn't respectful of them to call him a troll. They are the ones who aren't moderating the discussion.

Its like, "you're banned, enjoy that knife we just stuck in your back and twisted it."

"And no we're not going to moderate this forum to make sure that doesn't happen again. We're just going to let the discussions get out of control so we can inflict maximum damage before we ban you."
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

The Methownet BB is in a smaller frame inside a webpage that has money making advertising on it... They generate revenue from it... You would think they could dedicate some staff time expense for active moderation... The hosting costs are minimal which I can testify to... As we both use the same free software (phpbb)... Methownet has also turned off most of the cool features of the software like pictures and offsite links... Also the formatting features... I use Godaddy as my hosting provider and have 5 websites and the BB served on it for only $300/yr.

They also practice what is called "dirty deleting" by removing the whole thread which may contain a lot of thoughtful and beneficial posts that members spent considerable time and thought writing along with the few "offending" posts in the thread... Just plain lazy...

I have become very disappointed with the current status of the methownet BB as a local resource... :-(
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Did you say you had talked to them about moderating? They may not want to pay someone to constantly moderate. It sounds like they check on it every now and then. So someone is doing some other job and then checks in?
As I said, it is not a BB anymore that hosts just any kind of subject matter.
I mean, I guess I troll too. I go on, to see what's new, what's for sale, public announcements. Then if a subject catches my eye, like the housing issue, I comment, because that's an interest. Is that trolling? Guess I should look up the definition.
So for those of you that have been kicked off, do you feel it's an injustice? Or could they have given you a warning?
The way I see it, since I don't have much self discipline, if I got kicked off, it would free me up from making comments! Ha.
Discussions of subjects are needed. People can only write so many letters to the editor. Again this BB lets people raise a question and it's ok if it's controversial. And misinformation is countered here with correct info, if that info is correct!
I've disagreed with posts and people on here as you know, but no one has ever been abusive like they were on the other BB, which I decided to put a stop to.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:30 pm I only lodged one complaint as the post was attacking me personally, badly and just rattling things off about me. April said they want to know about abuse. I sure hope that person doesn't come to this BB. It would ruin it for me as they seemed to be out to get me. I looked them up and he, yes, it was a he, gave me the creeps. Google and evil FB do pop up info on a person, if you want to know about them and they happen to do FB.
I don't go through the other BB looking for posts to complain about.
I know, the housing one showed up again. How can anyone complain about it, but when they took it down, I don't think it was getting contentious...yet.
I noticed that they let the one Little Red Rooster post go by. He said for Kyle to "Walk boy walk" and someone else responded an opposite reply, but it got buried.
As you say Chris it will be interesting to see how fast or if it does come down. Oh, I think it will. Maybe they are starting to moderate it and I'm wrong about people complaining.
I don't see any indication, that there is active moderation by the BB staff, especially when as you say, that one snarky post stayed up.

Looks like the duplicate thread on affordable housing was removed and the only one that remains is Andy's thread with his one comment encouraging people to comment to the appropriate organization.

So that one stays but the others removed doesn't make sense.

Why remove a whole thread because of a few bad actors?

Why not just remove the offending post and ban the offender after a set number of infractions, like three strikes you're out?

But what it boils down to is that Methownet isn't doing their duty running a forum in a small community.

Perhaps they just need a few volunteer moderators.

"A forum moderator oversees the communication activity of an Internet forum. He monitors the interchange of contributors and makes decisions regarding content and the direction of threads. Moving discussions from one section to another to keep topics organized is also a common job for a forum moderator."

"As a moderator, your duties involve providing discussion topics, encouraging participants to share, removing unrelated or inappropriate content, answering questions, defining group boundaries and rules, and updating the platform. You also have the authority to decide what information is approved or removed."
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

PAL... I will watch and moderate any significant bullying on this BB... Members can also alert me... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

I only lodged one complaint as the post was attacking me personally, badly and just rattling things off about me. April said they want to know about abuse. I sure hope that person doesn't come to this BB. It would ruin it for me as they seemed to be out to get me. I looked them up and he, yes, it was a he, gave me the creeps. Google and evil FB do pop up info on a person, if you want to know about them and they happen to do FB.
I don't go through the other BB looking for posts to complain about.
I know, the housing one showed up again. How can anyone complain about it, but when they took it down, I don't think it was getting contentious...yet.
I noticed that they let the one Little Red Rooster post go by. He said for Kyle to "Walk boy walk" and someone else responded an opposite reply, but it got buried.
As you say Chris it will be interesting to see how fast or if it does come down. Oh, I think it will. Maybe they are starting to moderate it and I'm wrong about people complaining.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:51 pm I was told I was not considered one of their problem children.

Jeff and Maria are part of the problem. Thinking that you can run a public forum without moderation and instead rely on informants to do the job is disrespectful to the community.

Its their job to moderate the forum before the angst escalates and creates a bigger problem if that's the concern.

It will be interesting to see if the person who reposted his already deleted thread on taxing the second home owners to help fund affordable housing is banned.

That has happened to several people on the right already. But this guy seems to be left leaning so we get to see if a double standard is also in play.

This has been another episode of "As Methownet Turns". :mrgreen:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, you might have known it was coming. And someone lodged a complaint as that is what they pay attention to. I know, as I complained about someone, none of this gang, of course, because most on here have been banned from Methownet! Ha.
When I talked to them I told them I got excited at times and hoped that I could still stay on. I was told I was not considered one of their problem children.
They have really clamped down. Some public service announcements are posted, such as the Commissioner meetings. But you better not make any comments, except to thank the poster.
They are now buy, sell, trade or maybe poetry can be posted, with a list of people's favorites.
So this is the place to put forth opinions, links, photos, discussions and most of the discussions have been pretty good without too many personal attacks. But there will be some. And it's almost like a family where we have spats and then move on.
Glad we have this and don't have to resort to the evil FB or other sites. This is homegrown.
Thanks,
Ray
Pearl Cherrington
Farmerbill

Post by Farmerbill »

We got kicked off both bulletin boards about 10 years ago for nothing. I called Jeff and Maria and they tried to fix it and said we should try entering through chrome. We tried everything and it just kept saying “we think your a bot”. We just gave up yet we can still observe but can’t comment or make a post. That’s unfortunate because we are local farmers and have regular good prices on meat or hay we produce. Marketplace won’t allow selling of any animals or animal products so until Ray built this site we only had word of mouth for informing the valley about good local raised meat.
I’ll defend Jeff and Maria to some extent because they do the site for free so it’s just out of kindness they even provide the bulletin board.
I hope nobody beats up on Ray because he’s such a nice guy and a real jokster. He’s such a Godsend to the Kiwanis with all his expertise on computers. They were really shallow on the computer stuff till Ray showed up.
Thank you Ray for your dedication to help our valley. God bless you🤙
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Not really interested in talking to them at the current time. Nothing there anymore that interests me. 😜
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Ray, have you called them and talked with them? It used to be a person could post a public service announcement but even now it doesn't seem to be allowed, because some smart arse will come on and turn it into an issue.
Chris, love the Groucho quote. Humor is the best medicine.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington