Kicked Off the Methownet BB

Fun CH

Re: Kicked Off the Methownet BB

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:55 pm
PAL wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:09 am I used to go on the BB to find out about fires and emergency situations, as long ago, it seems, I knew I could find out info quick as someone would post. I noticed this past summer that was not the case or it was rare. So I went to Facebook and the Forest Service sites which required more navigating but the info was there.
And this BB did an incredible job! I came here alot for fire info. Thanks Ray for you service.
Pearl
I agree that Ray did a great job and we all owe him a debt of thanks.

My own view is that phpBB, no matter how skillfully operated, is not Appropriate Technology for breaking news about emergency situations. Or more accurately I think there are better tools that will be less work for both producers and consumers. But that's just my opinion.
isn't that something that you're working on in the form of a private app for wildfire?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

PAL wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:09 am I used to go on the BB to find out about fires and emergency situations, as long ago, it seems, I knew I could find out info quick as someone would post. I noticed this past summer that was not the case or it was rare. So I went to Facebook and the Forest Service sites which required more navigating but the info was there.
And this BB did an incredible job! I came here alot for fire info. Thanks Ray for you service.
Pearl
I agree that Ray did a great job and we all owe him a debt of thanks.

My own view is that phpBB, no matter how skillfully operated, is not Appropriate Technology for breaking news about emergency situations. Or more accurately I think there are better tools that will be less work for both producers and consumers. But that's just my opinion.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Yea, they defiantly weren't set up to host anything but what they became.

I'm with Ray though. I'm fine with posting my opinion, but not fine with them banning people who voiced their opinion when it concerned the public interest.

The MNBB staff wasn't set up to moderate an opinion forum and wasn't clear on what could be posted so don't make it look like those who posted opinions needed to shunned.

Without the ability to post links to source research or fact to support an opinion, that forum was suited to be a platform for misinformation and community conflict.
PAL

Post by PAL »

I used to go on the BB to find out about fires and emergency situations, as long ago, it seems, I knew I could find out info quick as someone would post. I noticed this past summer that was not the case or it was rare. So I went to Facebook and the Forest Service sites which required more navigating but the info was there.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

alfrandell wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:24 pm Each of us brought them to wits end many times.
They were pretty patient.
It does not bother me that I/we caused them some time and work... It is not really much of an altruistic "public service BB"... It is in a frame on a money making advertising web page that could have provided reveneue to support proper moderation... phpbb BB software is free, so no investment there... Their only expense is hosting cost which would only range from $300-600/yr... The BB failed/fails at providing timely wildfire and covid information to the served community and other important issues... Everything is thrown in one general "pot" without subject areas to help members find what they want... It is constrained by the lack of allowing BB code, images, and off site links...

Methownet has been generous to the community in support in areas involving the non-profits in the Valley... Some of the ads are donated for the non-profits... They have helped with telecommunications at events... Methownet has also donated $ to non-profits and deserve a lot of credit for that... :-)

The BB is just currently a sore subject with me...

Merry Christmas!!!

pasayten
Ray Peterson
woodman

Post by woodman »

I believe that I was the first person to join this BB after I got censored from the Methownet one in March, 2020. I tried to talk to them over the phone about reinstating me since I had more clarity about the limits of what is accepted over there, but the woman was very firm with me, and wouldn't budge. She said this is a private company, and we don't have time to police the messages. No second chances made me feel marginalized.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

New rules post at MNBB. So glad that they posted this as a way of explaining their position and to clarify what is allowed on the BB. These are issues that we have been discussing on this thread.

"In an effort to keep this bulletin board civil and of positive benefit, we are changing our stance regarding some posting.
A decade of experience hosting a community forum has taught us political discussions are best when the parties are present. With the advent of the Internet, more and more of our discourse has shifted from the cafe, public square, hometown event, and over the fence – all in person – to online text contributing to animosity locally and nationwide. The pandemic hasn’t helped - keeping us from events and public hot spots - where we could build and maintain trust with our neighbors.

Over the years the BB evolved from a completely open forum to what we have today. At first anyone could post anything. We then required names on posts that discussed issues. In response to the increasing number of trolls (at peak, over 100 attempts a day from Russian addresses alone) we required a call to the office to register. We then added rules to encourage civility. Though a majority of folks followed the rules, a few pushed buttons and the discussions all too often devolved into jabs, misinformation, and anger. We now feel it is best to keep the political discussions at the cafes, on the sidewalks, over the fences and off the BB. Some feel a BB where community members buy and sell, find lost dogs, thank others for a kindness is boring. We, however, see in such transactions a potential opportunity to build trust and cooperation within our community.

Rules

As host of the bulletin board the Methownet.com staff has the right to remove posts. Here are some of the reasons we might do so:
1) posts with language or images of a slanderous, libelous, mean or rude nature,
2) spammers
3) bumping your post to the top
4) posts which are commercial in nature
5) firearms sales Washington State law requires that private sales and transfers of firearms (those that do not involve a federally licensed dealer as a party to the transaction) be completed through a licensed dealer.
6) Political posts

Users may be banned for:
1) trolling
2) repeated rules violations
3) mean behavior
4) other stuff

Post in your own words and keep it civil."
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Just checked in and MN posted this;

"As stated in a previous post, our log file shows you deleted the entire thread that you created and then locked the 2nd post you made about Livestock. We did not lock it or delete it."

Didn't know a member had that power to delete entire threads or lock a thrread unless they also have administrative access.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:08 pm I thought I saw a reply from the BB that he had accidently deleted his post, as they said they didn't do it.
yes that's true, but his 2nd thread was locked after MN informed him that he had accidentally deleted his own original thread.
PAL

Post by PAL »

I thought I saw a reply from the BB that he had accidently deleted his post, as they said they didn't do it.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

alfrandell wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:56 am ... We should actually be discussing current events, rather than replying to absurd posts by Members of the far right.
This is a general problem that has been around for a long time. You can "win" arguments based on sheer vociferousness and persistence without persuasion or logic or even coherent thoughts. Especially if you don't care at all.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Looks like Bruce is getting perilously close to joining us here. :o ;) :mrgreen:

Quote today from MNBB.

"So because I cared about the horses, I have been locked out of my post again. I guess I do not understand how inflammatory this topic is.... and I have read the new rules and they do not mention livestock Seriously, That is the second time i have been locked out.. so I will not bring up the topic of livestock welfare ever again... btw they were fed again today. Bruce Herron Wolf Creek
Bruce Herron Wolf Creek"
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Good grief... 148 replies and 9,927 views... quite a thread... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Yep, glitch. I can get on.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:45 am Is it just me or is it Methownet BB. I can't even get on to look at it. Maybe I've been banished too. I didn't bash them on this post, just stated the facts.
probably just a tech glitch. If they haven't banned Bruce Herron yet, you probably are ok. I remember when he was ranting about MTN Bike riders because he made a trail mistake and stopped in a blind spot on the trail, then it was the new forest service trucks, then Alf, then the weed farm, then, Alf again.. :mrgreen:

Try clearing you browser of cookies, cauched files and history.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Is it just me or is it Methownet BB. I can't even get on to look at it. Maybe I've been banished too. I didn't bash them on this post, just stated the facts.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

"Political Posts" must have a pretty broad definition... Glad they added the update... :-)

Rule Changes
Post by Methownet » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:31 pm

In an effort to keep this bulletin board civil and of positive benefit, we are changing our stance regarding some posting.
A decade of experience hosting a community forum has taught us political discussions are best when the parties are present. With the advent of the Internet, more and more of our discourse has shifted from the cafe, public square, hometown event, and over the fence – all in person – to online text contributing to animosity locally and nationwide. The pandemic hasn’t helped - keeping us from events and public hot spots - where we could build and maintain trust with our neighbors.

Over the years the BB evolved from a completely open forum to what we have today. At first anyone could post anything. We then required names on posts that discussed issues. In response to the increasing number of trolls (at peak, over 100 attempts a day from Russian addresses alone) we required a call to the office to register. We then added rules to encourage civility. Though a majority of folks followed the rules, a few pushed buttons and the discussions all too often devolved into jabs, misinformation, and anger. We now feel it is best to keep the political discussions at the cafes, on the sidewalks, over the fences and off the BB. Some feel a BB where community members buy and sell, find lost dogs, thank others for a kindness is boring. We, however, see in such transactions a potential opportunity to build trust and cooperation within our community.

Rules

As host of the bulletin board the Methownet.com staff has the right to remove posts. Here are some of the reasons we might do so:
1) posts with language or images of a slanderous, libelous, mean or rude nature,
2) spammers
3) bumping your post to the top
4) posts which are commercial in nature
5) firearms sales Washington State law requires that private sales and transfers of firearms (those that do not involve a federally licensed dealer as a party to the transaction) be completed through a licensed dealer.
6) Political posts

Users may be banned for:
1) trolling
2) repeated rules violations
3) mean behavior
4) other stuff

Post in your own words and keep it civil.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Come to think of it, I have seen ads for guns for sale and ammo on there. But they may have been swiftly pulled.
I don't think opinions can be posted there. It has been posted what the County Commissioners are doing and what their schedule is. At one point someone voiced an opinion, then several more chimed in, then it's taken away.
Almost any opinion is off limits, it seems. Even something positive will end up with someone chiming in, in a negative manner. It goes.
So I personally don't post opinions on there anymore. It becomes what they deem as too contentious. So let the opinions flow here. I'm good enough with this.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:55 am I believe the trigger word on that post was "guns". I think other posts have used or have mentioned guns, and gone they are.
it is their stated policy that you can't sell guns on the site, but not to discuss local issues related to guns. There were also a few discussions on shooting range access and gun safety that were not pulled.

A forum should have specific rules and not

"Users may be banned for:
1) trolling,
2) mean behavior, or
3) other stuff."

And I see they still have their personal opinion rules still in place.

So is it still OK to post an opinion there? If so, what topics are off limits?

I guess you find out that answer after you are
banned from the site.
PAL

Post by PAL »

I believe the trigger word on that post was "guns". I think other posts have used or have mentioned guns, and gone they are.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

joseysranch wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:54 pm I think MethowNet are sticking to their metaphor of the traditional "bulletin board." Where posting for-sales, wanteds, losts, and announcements is expected... and where pinning up an essay about the merits of the democratic party, vaccine efficacy, and housing solution debates would be anathema.
when I joined near the beginning of the pandamic, I remember reading a MVBB mission statement, something to the effect that it was to serve as a Methow Journal of sorts.

I thought it strange that "Journel" entries were being deleted even if the conversation was civil. An example was a thread where we were discussing Twisp as a sanctuary City for Gun owners. The conversation was very civil and certainly we were discussing an important local issue. That thread was quickly zapped and I believe the person who initiated that thread was banned.

That generated another thread on why a civil thread was deleted. I believe in that thread Ken had a good comment about the solution to free speech that you don't agree with or find contentious is more free speech. (Ken let me know if I incorrectly stated that).

That thread was allowed to continue for a few pages before it to was Zapped.

That may have been the thread that led to other people being banned. I know that they didn't like it when you questioned how the BB was being operated.

Also consider that owner Jeff used to participate in some of the contentious local political issues (according to a phone conversation with him).

So the MNBB mission has just only recently changed, and not really a Methow journal. Such a journal in any human community could never be full of flowers exclusive of conflict that clearly exists.

Personally, I think the MNBB is a better place by not allowing contentious conversations simply because they apparently don't have the resources to moderate those types of discussions.

But what took them so long and why was it done without clearly defined rules on what can or cannot be posted?

you know what they say, one man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.😉

At any rate I hope that this thread played at least a small part and cleaning up that unmoderated bulletin board.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Ok, Ken thanks for the clarification. See what you made me do? I wrote it out.
Yes, Ray, you're right. Got off the subject here!
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

We may need a "Lets Go Brandon" thread... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

No, no, no! They were saying it, (f-uck Joe Biden) the reporter purposely (?) changed it. That’s the point! Now it just fits how much is f-ed up!
PAL

Post by PAL »

Can you explain what the "deeper" meaning is? It says to me that, yeah, some people are disappointed with Joe Biden. So what? Or I'm realizing, are you saying the people were really chanting, "Let's Go Brandon" and that's what they really meant. Cheering Brandon on. And the reporter said they were saying something quite different? I suppose that could be.
Gonzo, you must be proud of me, I wrote it out!
Pearl Cherrington