How to talk to someone about vaccine hesitancy

Fun CH

Re: How to talk to someone about vaccine hesitancy

Post by Fun CH »

I read on the internet, might have been this forum, that water is getting past the life jackets and more people are drowning. It might have been the firefighters that superspread way too much water around the Valley this summer that's causing the problem locally. :mrgreen:
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Actually, the pandamic is easing with more people becoming vaccinated.

For the first time major news outlets are presenting experts in epidemiology and virology that are recognising the contribution of those that have acquired natural immunity in helping to end this pandamic.

The caveat of course is that we're not out of the woods yet and have to remain diligent, but Covid cases are on the downturn as expected.

Both good quality masks and the vaccine, along with natural immunity have been very effective in leading to that downturn.

As always, be wary of the doom and gloom crowd, the dividers and those providing misinformation that feeds their self interest.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Well Ken, this quote seems about right...

"The tragic triumph of Trumpism is not that he has persuaded all Americans, or even a majority of Americans, to reject their way out of the pandemic; it’s that he has persuaded just enough of them to keep the disease wreaking havoc on the country."
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Well Ray, more people have died under Biden with ‘vaccine’ his whole presidency than under Trump when it started and no jab option till the very end. Who actually runs the country better?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Jeesh... What a narcissistic attitude and revisionist history... would be actually funny if it wasn't so sad...

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-c ... ty-2021-10
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:07 pm Over 70% of Washington citizens over 12 now vaccinated...

https://www.king5.com/article/news/heal ... eGNYGwu6L8
we're getting closer to ending this thing. Wonder what percentage people in our State have acquired natural immunity?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Over 70% of Washington citizens over 12 now vaccinated...

https://www.king5.com/article/news/heal ... eGNYGwu6L8
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

That’s exactly the point, I’m not afraid of a damn thing! Get it if you want, question me if you want, I’m not telling anyone that they must do anything. I expect the same from everyone else.
anonloser

Post by anonloser »

If by over educated you mean values statistics with millions of data points over anecdotal evidence witnessed first hand in a few hundred select situations, then yeah, I guess I'm a dumb dumb.

If getting covid is no big deal then getting the vaccine should be a piece of cake. Not sure what you're afraid of.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

I’m not “mischaracterizing” (not even a word) anything! I’m just a dumb first responder who has been living this thing on the front lines this whole time. You over-educated idiots who confuse and distort are the real threat to us all!
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Ken, you are mischaracterizing what is known as sterilizing immunity.

Not all vaccines provide such immunity. Some examples include flu vaccines, as well as vaccines for rotavirus, pertussis, and hepatitis B. Certain polio vaccines, including any being administered in the United States, also do not provide sterilizing immunity.

That doesn't mean that these vaccines can't save lives and that doesn't mean they aren't really vaccines, which is the current anti-vaxx-kook claim.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Alf, I’m not a nihilist you dork! I’ve seen firsthand many, many people with this and how they do after. I will say one more time for the extremely thick headed: if you’re over 65, obese or have any number of co-morbidities you should consider the ‘vax’. If you’re younger healthy and have no other concerning medical issues this particular virus is really not much of a threat (unlike polio, small pox or other listed maladies) If you get COVID and have any sort of concerning issues (short of breath, blood clotting, anything beyond normal flu-like symptoms) do not wait, get therapeutics, seek info from your Doc and if necessary call 911. Do not accept that you must just ride this out if you are having problems, you will need to fight the protocols that have so far kept people at home to slowly die of asphyxiation or clotting issues (PE-pulmonary embolis) also sepsis will set in for prolonged fever and will also kill if not managed early. The rest of you keyboard warrior, armchair Dr.s should really st*u!
Mark58

Post by Mark58 »

dorankj wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:51 am Well it’s a actual vaccine (and I’ve had it). Nobody who gets the polio vaccine ever gets polio! This therapeutic for COVID (it really only seems to lessen the chances of severe injury or death for the individual) doesn’t stop transmission or even getting COVID. It’s proving (with the need for a ‘booster’) to really be more like the annual flu shot, never eliminating the flu just lessening the chance of severe injury or death for the most vulnerable. Healthy people with strong immune systems, no obesity or major co-morbidity have a far better result (27x better) with a natural response.

Incorrect. The Salk vaccine was a killed vaccine. It was followed by the Sabin vaccine, which was live virus that was weakened. But occasionally someone got polio, usually mild, from it. And, occasionally, someone not vaccinated got polio from someone who was vaccinated with Sabin. That said, it was worth it because polio was so widespread and devastating. But, now that polio is rare, the live vaccine is no longer worth the risk and is no longer used. So one needs to think in terms of risk and reward when one thinks about vaccination. Misconceptions are rampant and lead to misinformation.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:51 am Well it’s a actual vaccine (and I’ve had it). Nobody who gets the polio vaccine ever gets polio! This therapeutic for COVID (it really only seems to lessen the chances of severe injury or death for the individual) doesn’t stop transmission or even getting COVID. It’s proving (with the need for a ‘booster’) to really be more like the annual flu shot, never eliminating the flu just lessening the chance of severe injury or death for the most vulnerable. Healthy people with strong immune systems, no obesity or major co-morbidity have a far better result (27x better) with a natural response.
there is no question that natural immunity works after Contracting covid. If only those seeking natural immunity could somehow not spread the disease to more vulnerable people while they're seeking that natural immunity. I guess that's why masks and testing are advised even among the vaccinated due to potential breakthrough case transmissibility of the virus.

There were breakthrough cases of polio and measles among the vaccinated.

"Jonas Salk's polio vaccine—hailed a medical miracle—was 80 percent to 90 percent effective at preventing paralysis caused by the polio virus."

"Measles and polio breakthrough infections aren't just rare because the vaccines are so effective but also because those who are vaccinated rarely interact with infected people. Even with highly effective vaccines for Covid-19, breakthrough infections are likely to keep happening because the virus is so widespread."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180978408/

From the CDC

"The risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people cannot be completely eliminated as long as there is continued community transmission of the virus. Early data suggest infections in fully vaccinated persons are more commonly observed with the Delta variant than with other SARS-CoV-2 variants. However, data show fully vaccinated persons are less likely than unvaccinated persons to acquire SARS-CoV-2, and infections with the Delta variant in fully vaccinated persons are associated with less severe clinical outcomes. Infections with the Delta variant in vaccinated persons potentially have reduced transmissibility than infections in unvaccinated persons, although additional studies are needed."

Hopefully Ken, with the new vaccine mandates enough people will get the vaccine and enough people will have developed natural immunity that you won't get the disease or have to get the vaccine.

You 'carry the water' for the community with your job and those of us who are willing, will 'carry the water' for the community by getting vaccinated.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

I believe anyone who wants to get it should, anyone over 65 and definitely anyone obese or with co-morbidity. It’s great Donald Trump had the wisdom and foresight to push away the hurdles and red tape to get this developed so fast and then put together a great distribution and injection plan! I too have antidotal data that many of my co-workers (on the front lines from the very beginning and never stayed home) who have a similar health and body type to me got it, their whole family got it and all have done quite well and now have excellent natural immunity. I choose for myself to go that route and I honor your personal choices!
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Basically healthy, but 74 y/o and I firmly believe that being vaccinated helped save me from getting Covid at a staff meeting where all but two (including me) did not get sick. Lots of younger healthy people got pretty sick from that meeting. Also probably helped me from spreading Covid to my family and friends.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Well it’s a actual vaccine (and I’ve had it). Nobody who gets the polio vaccine ever gets polio! This therapeutic for COVID (it really only seems to lessen the chances of severe injury or death for the individual) doesn’t stop transmission or even getting COVID. It’s proving (with the need for a ‘booster’) to really be more like the annual flu shot, never eliminating the flu just lessening the chance of severe injury or death for the most vulnerable. Healthy people with strong immune systems, no obesity or major co-morbidity have a far better result (27x better) with a natural response.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

In 1954, polio was a terrifying reality. The vaccine began as a large clinical trial of 1.3 million kids around the country. They called themselves Polio Pioneers, the first to try a new vaccine in the hopes of ending a grave threat.

Nine months after the trial ended, the vaccine was declared safe and effective. In 1955, mass inoculation against polio began. 25 years later, domestic polio transmission had all but vanished.

Polio is now a mandated vaccination in all 50 states. The kids you see pictured made this a reality for us all.
polio.jpg
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

How to talk to someone about vaccine hesitancy

Post by Fun CH »

We've been having a long running discussion here about respecting ordinary people in our community.

We saw how internet disrespect toward a private property owner kept much of the South Creek trail closed.

We've seen how internet shaming and blaming people about vaccine hesitancy has created disharmony to the point where one member of this forum is afraid to post, fearing retribution for the nastiness that he posted.

When I worked as a Child care worker, working with at risk youth, and later as a Wa. State certified VR counselor, we were trained to first and foremost listen. Sometimes just reflecting back what the person has said allows them to solve the crisis situation or problem themselves.

Here is an quote from an article that describes how to respectfully discuss vaccine hesitancy. Please read the whole article.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how- ... hesitancy/

"Making someone feel ashamed or embarrassed only makes people less likely to change,” says Barringer ( behavioral health therapist). “Instead, reference trusted health experts or sources when discussing their fear and why something may or may not be true.”