Property Tax

kedski

Re: Property Tax

Post by kedski »

Will the bill 5670 is dead this year, but you can bet your grandma's teeth it's coming back next year with a roar. King Co. is behind this. Like the saying goes the rich just want more.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

PAL wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:36 pm Would it be better to say, undocumented human beings?
It is important to remember that we are talking about humans and not, say, termites here.

The law is what the law is. I didn't make the law.

The 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees, of which the United States is a signatory, explicitly forbids contracting states (e.g. the United States) from "imposing penalties on refugees who entered illegally seeking asylum as long as 'they present themselves without delay'" and "forcibly returning refugees to the country they have fled from."

The first clause is commonly interpreted as prohibiting the prosecution of refugees for unlawful entry and presence.

If anyone is going to blather on about upholding the law, you ought to make damned sure you know what the law is first. And you don't get to just enforce the laws you like. As someone on this board likes to say, "suck it up buttercup."
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Would it be better to say, undocumented human beings?
Pearl Cherrington
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

I always get a kick out of people bitching about ‘illegals’.

First is the simple fact that immigrants, legal or not, are the single biggest reason our economy is doing the stellar job it is; their increase and additions have made up for our falling birth rates.

Second….The idea that anyone’s grandparents, great-grandparents or great great grandparents “came here legally” or the often heard refrain that “…’they’ need to enter the country legally like the rest of us did…” is farcical. And, it is historically inaccurate.

Most of our relatives came to the US without any bar to immigration at all; no quotas, no turn-arounds at the border, no restrictions; there was no Homeland Security in the 1800s. People simply came and entered – many without even being officially recorded - across an open border.

The policy of the US, reflected in it’s various Laws from the late 19th century onwards, was usually a preference toward (mostly) white, (mostly) Protestant, northern Europeans. It barred or severely limited - variously, according to the particular concern of that time - those that were Catholic (e.g. quotas on Irish and Italians) or Jewish or Slavic (e.g. quotas on Eastern Europeans). By contrast, immigration from Northern Europe was not controlled by quota until the 1950s.

Prior to 1882, there were almost no controls on immigration from any country, other than for those immigrants with a criminal background or having certain illnesses. That year, Chinese immigrants began to be barred from this country. It wasn’t until 1924 that a quota system began for the Mexican border (where the concern was at least partly for Asians crossing that border). 1924 also saw the beginning of quotas for immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe, which were about keeping Jews and (Catholic) Italians out.

So, unless your ancestors came AFTER 1882 if they were of Chinese background, or AFTER 1924 if they were of Eastern/Southern European or Hispanic background, or AFTER 1950 if they were from Northern Europe……then they entered freely, based just on a desire to be here, for a wide range of reasons. They had the EXACT same desires as everyone who wants to be here today.

Stop thinking your relatives passed some magical high bar to become US citizens - they didn’t! They just showed up. Including mine, leaving Canada during a depression there. They arrived in the ‘Lake States’ (Ohio/Michigan, etc) and New England - penniless French speaking Catholics from Quebec – in the late 1860s. They crossed into the US without quotas, tests or other of today’s barriers.
Last edited by just-jim on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I call and will call them illegals as long as they continue to enter this country without going thru the due process .
We ( the tax payers and the United States in genera)l are and should be a haven for people in danger of Political persecution not domestic violence or gang violence. Domestic and gang (cartel)violence is a local government responsibility.
If they are simply seeking a more financially better life they should enter this country via established programs
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Jingles wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:51 am Personally I don't give a rats azz if it was D's or R's that spent 460M on illegals it is 461 M that should not of been spent on someone that broke the law to begin with.
But if the truth hurts that the D's are the offending party suck it up buttercup and own it
The United States is a party to the 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees which gives our country specific duties and responsibilities with respect to refugees. Those duties and responsibilities the have force of federal law. One could reasonably argue that it is the United States that is in fact breaking the law, not the "migrants" or "illegals" as you call them.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Jingles, who broke the law? Is it the people crossing over illegally or those asking for amnesty? No nastiness please, I just want info.
Pearl Cherrington
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Take responsibility?! Ha, gaslighting and projection are built into their DNA.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Personally I don't give a rats azz if it was D's or R's that spent 460M on illegals it is 461 M that should not of been spent on someone that broke the law to begin with.
But if the truth hurts that the D's are the offending party suck it up buttercup and own it
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Thank goodness we don't also have a pool tax added on... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Sorry, you are right! It is about 33%. I was reading it exactly backwards!

I transposed some columns when I copied it off the Assessors website. (I dont have my new tax statement, yet)
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Local School $817
State School Part 1 $1,185
State School Part 2 $636

(You can click on picture and blow it up)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Looks like your ‘State School’ is 800$+ - hard to read - which is about 15% of your $5600 total. That’s the only one set by State, I believe.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Why are your state school tax only 15% and mine are 33%? (miscalculated before)
IMG_9155.jpeg
pasayten
Ray Peterson
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

pasayten wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:56 am Need to define "controlled"... I look at "from"... Not 85% on my tax bill... 60% local... 40% is for State School taxes...
Add in the local school levy and schools account for 47%... Nearly half.
I meant, Ray, that of all the taxes listed - the ‘State School’ is the only tax that isnt controlled locally. It is set by the State, I believe. And it is just over 15% of my total tax bill. All the rest are voted on directly by local voters or set by the County Commissioners. Yes the total of all the school taxes is high!

Your 4th grade reading comprehension has failed you again, Ken. Jingles made this a political post.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Have the corporations and very wealthy pay their share. Corporations and the very wealthy can afford to have tax accountants and lawyers to find the loop holes the rest of us can't. That's what needs to happen.
Put it on the little people, that's what they do.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Since about 85% of our Property taxes are controlled right here in Okanogan County by - mostly - Republican leaning County Commissioners and other Boards…
Need to define "controlled"... I look at "from"... Not 85% on my tax bill... 67% local... 33% is for State School taxes...
Add in the local school levy and schools account for 47%... Nearly half.
What were the funds of the lottery suppose to help pay for?
Now they would like an income tax also to help "solve" tax issues??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Wow! What a twist to make this political by an absolute partisan. Such a jackwagon!
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Jingles wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:21 am Maybe this is why they want to raise property taxes state wide so more illegals can get more free stuff

https://mynorthwest.com/3949335/rantz-w ... lars-2023/
Since about 85% of our Property taxes are controlled right here in Okanogan County by - mostly - Republican leaning County Commissioners and other Boards…..I doubt that the made up fantasies of right wing Seattle radio blowhards carries much truth.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Maybe this is why they want to raise property taxes state wide so more illegals can get more free stuff

https://mynorthwest.com/3949335/rantz-w ... lars-2023/
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Dont kick about taxes too much. It could be worse. My brother lives in Cincinnati, OH. They have:

- A sales tax rate of 7.8%, similar to ours here.
- A State Income tax that runs about 3.5%+ of income
- A CITY income tax that runs about 2 to 2.5% of income. Some cities are closer to 3%.
- Their property taxes are VERY high. My bro and his wife own a nice, but small, post WW2, 2 bed bungalow in a nice neighborhood close to good schools. He figures it MIGHT be worth $250,000. Their property taxes are near $7000!
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Hope they don't try for a personal property tax like,some eastern states, tax everything you own, cars, boats Rv's televisions, furniture
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Once Olympia got their hands on an income tax, we are screwed. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

No state income tax without reducing property taxes by alot.
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

If memory serves me right wasn't the money from lotto sales supposed to go to help fund the schools?