Discussion of public facilities and luxuries in the Methow Valley

Fun CH

Re: Discussion of public facilities and luxuries in the Methow Valley

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:42 pm My “interest” was and is improving emergency service delivery and effectiveness here and whether we are actually receiving the best for all our dollars. I’m not going to rehash everything about that issue or get into a debate with you regarding taxing methods or districts. My point was to get you to consider others’ POV and concerns as just as valid and worthy as your big efforts even if you don’t understand the finer nuances or deeper reasons they hold those positions.
it's not about me, Ken. But what nuanced pov's do you want people to consider? You mean that the one where most people act according to their own self interest gain?

That is why it was refreshing to see a no on prop 1 sign from a company that has a lot to gain if prop 1 passes. From doing business with them over the years, I assume they hold conservative values.

It's always best to take the good parts no matter where they come from and incorporate those values into your own life.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
dorankj

Re: Discussion of public facilities and luxuries in the Methow Valley

Post by dorankj »

My “interest” was and is improving emergency service delivery and effectiveness here and whether we are actually receiving the best for all our dollars. I’m not going to rehash everything about that issue or get into a debate with you regarding taxing methods or districts. My point was to get you to consider others’ POV and concerns as just as valid and worthy as your big efforts even if you don’t understand the finer nuances or deeper reasons they hold those positions.
Fun CH

Re: FOTP sent out flyers in the mail

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:28 pm Funny how you demand absolute agreement on this issue but when those of us in the know about other items (ie a over-sized, misplaced and wrongly designed fire station) you deny any effort to understand why it’s being warned against. Maybe if you actually showed others a willingness to understand their POV and reasons they advocate for what they do you could get more understanding and consideration of what has you riled up! Technically, if the MPD passes it will be ‘voter approved’ and from certain people’s viewpoint for everyone’s benefit.
I'm not demanding anything and I am listening. I understand that you had a personal stake in the firehall issue. Like I said before it was a safety issue both for training and unsafe conditions in the old station. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt the new firehall construction covered by an excess levy? Like the new proposed hospital is an excess levy.

All low income seniors and disabled families do not pay excess levy's which is not the case with the proposed prop 1 Mega MAC which is a regular levy. Low income seniors still pay all or a part of that regular levy.

The FOP has argued that we need a $20-$30 million dollar replacent pool because children will die if we don't get that.

However, if the Methow no longer had a pool tomorrow, there are other nearby public pools where children can learn to swim safely, just not as convenient. And you don't need MPD here to fund a simple pool.

So that FOP safety argument doesn't hold water.
pasayten

Discussion of public facilities and luxuries in the Methow Valley

Post by pasayten »

Posts moved here for clarity...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Funny how you demand absolute agreement on this issue but when those of us in the know about other items (ie a over-sized, misplaced and wrongly designed fire station) you deny any effort to understand why it’s being warned against. Maybe if you actually showed others a willingness to understand their POV and reasons they advocate for what they do you could get more understanding and consideration of what has you riled up! Technically, if the MPD passes it will be ‘voter approved’ and from certain people’s viewpoint for everyone’s benefit.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:59 pm Mega fire station in the wrong spot, Twisp town hall, twisp sports field in silly location. Meanwhile effective development to answer housing shortages and availability are fought tooth and nail by these same types. Then we have overall market conditions and economy furthered by liberal progressive viewpoints that seem to think government should have more and more power and then scratch their head asking why things seem to get worse!
the only one you mentioned that had local district voter control is the fire station. I voted for that mainly because fire fighter safety was comprosed with the tight spaces in the old station. That is not a luxury, I consider that an essential need.

Keep in mind that our republican County Commissioner, Andy Hover, could have said no I will not support raising property taxes on low income families in my district. He could have also pointed to the 78% to 22% vote that defeated a 2014 MPD prop.

He suported this proposition and here we are. I will not vote for him again.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Mega fire station in the wrong spot, Twisp town hall, twisp sports field in silly location. Meanwhile effective development to answer housing shortages and availability are fought tooth and nail by these same types. Then we have overall market conditions and economy furthered by liberal progressive viewpoints that seem to think government should have more and more power and then scratch their head asking why things seem to get worse!
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:48 pm Actually as evidenced by election votes broadly it’s not just “a few”. I’ve lived here my whole life, trust me a great many things here now would not have happened without these new liberal progressive voters. You just happen to take exception to this one, I wonder where this principled stance has been for prior ‘luxuries’ that don’t fit this area or populations’ tax base?
please give examples of "prior ‘luxuries’ that don’t fit this area or populations’ tax base?"
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Actually as evidenced by election votes broadly it’s not just “a few”. I’ve lived here my whole life, trust me a great many things here now would not have happened without these new liberal progressive voters. You just happen to take exception to this one, I wonder where this principled stance has been for prior ‘luxuries’ that don’t fit this area or populations’ tax base?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:32 pm Actually this furtherance of luxury items at the expense of others and essentially telling others that they know what’s best for everyone is exactly consistent with modern ‘liberal’, ‘progressive’ viewpoints! The fact that so many transplants are here and pushing this or may vote for it is not coincidental.
please don't confuse minority actions of a few with self interest goals as representing liberal viewpoints.

I know many liberal " transplants" here who will be voting no on prop 1.

What is interesting to me is how those on the left with self interest goals are taking a 1907 republican legislation bill (Metropolitan Park Districts) and using it for self interest gain that will further the rural gentrification process. That ethic is completely contrary to liberal values.
Last edited by Fun CH on Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Actually this furtherance of luxury items at the expense of others and essentially telling others that they know what’s best for everyone is exactly consistent with modern ‘liberal’, ‘progressive’ viewpoints! The fact that so many transplants are here and pushing this or may vote for it is not coincidental.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:45 am That publication is really more of an advocacy magazine for certain causes and one political viewpoint. I tried many times to provide the other side and honestly to defend mis-information and they really aren’t interested in presenting facts and truth, they just further the narrative they support.
advocating for the Mega MAC is not an issue that would be in keeping with the values of a Liberal left or a Proggessive Left POV. Liberals values do not include taking money from the poor to fund a luxury desire. If fact we activity fight against inequality.

Self interest gain is the only motive I can think of that would explain a lack of empathy towards low income families in our community.

The opposition to prop 1 has both strong liberal and conservative support.

Don is however trolling the Valley when he called the 78% of use who defeated the 2014 MPD proposition "paranoid" and his last editorial attack on members of this community.

Also consider Anne's article where she writes this, quote;

"Both sides agree that a vote for Proposition 1 is not a vote for a specific pool facility with a specific cost. Proponents see that as positive, allowing the aquatics district and community to determine the future design and cost of a new facility. Opponents see it as negative, asking voters to support a future facility that is not yet designed."

That statement supports the current "there is no plan" FOP narrative.

Opponents to prop 1 already know one of the goals of the FOP Metropolitan Park District, that prop 1 would create if passed, is to build a $20 to $30 million dollars in 2pool\spa facility.

How do we know?

Because that was the original FOP design on their webpage when they sent out the ballot petition and the plan that they sent to the county commissioners for their support on prop 1 if passed. The FOP even had an exact dollar amount estimate for the Mega MAC indoor 2 pool/spa facility.

Here is plan as summited to the county.

viewtopic.php?t=1325

Here is FOP original webpage posted here

viewtopic.php?t=1211