Possible Closures

Fun CH

Re: Possible Closures

Post by Fun CH »

I've never flushed or had deer disturbed in the close to 40 years that I have been skiing on WDSW land. In fact I rairly see one. They seem to move into town during the winter.

I'd like to see the WDFW research that justifies the reason for the closures.

If people and deer don't mix why do so many deer hangout in town? Is it because that's the only place that they are not hunted? Snowmobiles aren't allowed on those lands anyway.

I don't think a few snowshoers and skiers are the problem here.

"Wildlife Services, a Federal Agency, Kills More Than 100,000 Animals in Washington Every Year"

"Wildlife Services has an almost $200 million annual budget and kills nearly 2 million animals every year, including tens of thousands in Eastern Washington. Yet despite its macabre work, few members of the general public know the agency exists."

https://www.chronline.com/stories/wildl ... ear,315338
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Possible Closures

Post by PAL »

"The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is looking for public input on a proposed annual closure for select areas of the Methow Wildlife Area. Designed to advance mule deer conservation at the Methow Wildlife Area, the closure includes 23,306 acres across five wildlife area units and would be in effect from Dec. 15 to April 15 annually.

The closure will support data collection on mule deer winter use and movement in a piloted approach intended to inform long-term stewardship at the wildlife area.

WDFW will host a public workshop on Wednesday, Sept. 13 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Winthrop Barn Auditorium (51 State Route 20, Winthrop). All are invited to attend to learn more and share feedback on the proposed closure."

Well this ought to fill up the Barn. Maps can be seen at the WDFW Newsroom site. See map at this link below.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files ... losure.png
Pearl Cherrington