Chiliwist

just-jim

Re: Chiliwist

Post by just-jim »

I think Cook Mtn and Woody Mtn systems might be pretty similar?

I should’ve added: Go to the FS office and ask to buy a ‘1” Ranger District Map’. It is a good map that has topo lines on it and all the roads. It is a black and white map….takes 3 LARGE sheets to cover the whole Methow and Pasayten…..you want the one that covers the South Summit/South Methow. It’s a good enough scale to do driving around with - but not something you’d maybe go hiking with.

As for what DNR roads are open or not….maybe give the DNR Regional Office in Colville a call. Then ask them to refer you to someone in the Okanogan who can speak about road maintenance, etc. There are knowledgeable DNR folks working here, but they typically work out of their homes…just not out of a central/local office that you can contact.
PAL

Post by PAL »

This is great. Thanks. There is also Cook Mtn Rd. We would be riding our ebikes up there. I wonder if Jason Day or I think Mark Townsend of DNR would know. But it will be an adventure. We know some of those easterly roads were quite bad. Howard had a flat way way out there on his ebike and had to ride mine back to the car. We had his Blazer and it was quite amazing he made it down and then up the road. Big honkin' ruts. I bet it is even worse now. But we would have ended up in the Chiliwist if he hadn't had the flat. We could see way in the distance and it was quite remote and amazing.
Another way in would be from Olema or Malott. Will let you know what happens.
Pearl Cherrington
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Hi Pearl -

As you note a bunch of those roads do leave the paved So Summit rd and head east-ish across the DNR ground into the Chiliwist/Malott area….but many are in very poor shape, blocked or washed out.

There are - or were, 2 main ways out. (CAVEAT - I have not been on either of these in a couple decades)

The more northerly route takes off nearer the groomed x-c ski trails. There are actually 2 FS roads that join and then end up in Chiliwist Creek. Northerly one is FS rd 750. It is also joined by FS rd 705 a little further south. That one takes off right at the junction of the paved So Summit and the Polepick Rd (#500) if you know where that is.

Map link: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer ... anned_topo

Much further south, 2 more FS roads - 230 and 240 - also join after a bit and proceed SE and then South down Hooker Creek, which becomes Rowel Canyon, then Whitestone Canyon, ending at Rat Lake, above Brewster. The 230 Rd leaves the So Summit about 1/2-3/4 mile north of ‘4 Corners’, which is where you end up if you drive up Benson Creek and take the Chiliwist cut-off road (#308) eastward, instead of going towards Leecher Mtn.

Map link: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer ... anned_topo

Other than these two, you can get into the Woody Mountain area - just east of the roads where the groomed xx ski trails are. And you can work your way eastward, I think. Or, the DNR Woody Mtn road eventually comes out on HWY 20 just above the 7 Devils.

Pack a lunch and water, besides a map! It’s a looong drive.

Jim
PAL

Chiliwist

Post by PAL »

Does anyone know if there are any roads from up around the South Summit area or a bit past, going toward Okanogan, that head into the Chiliwist?
I've looked at maps and there are some choices, but don't know what condition the roads are in. They were logging up there last year, so roads could be good...or bad. Any info appreciated.
Pearl Cherrington