Re: Psychiatrists warn Trump's psychosis will grow "as he becomes more desperate"

Fun CH

Re: Chris's copyright fetish...

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:46 am 883 posts now... lol...

Way more than on NW Hikers or TAY... You must really like this BB... :mrgreen:

We let ANYBODY post...
that would be a great forum motto.

"We let anybody post"

In 2020 long after I was gone from NWH posted this.

"It is disheartening to see this site transform from what was once a positive, fun, spirit filled community to one more often than not dominated by contentious discussion and negativity."

It was good Tom finally realized what he created wasn't good for the hiking community.

BTW, Tom told the community that I was ousted because he didn't want my posts on public land issues to become a Dumping Ground on his site. At the time I was disgusted with the trending commercialization of our mountains.

Tom told me in a roundabout way, that he was getting pressured by commercial supporters of his site to have me gone. Money talks.

On TAY my posts got thousands of views. Here I estimate you have around 20 readers. I was publicly invited to sign up again there after the former owner went haywire. But that site was clearly dying as Facebook started to replace forums.

Anyway, you have a nice political partisan dumping ground here.

But is your forum good for the real Methow community in its current form? Do you even care?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

883 posts now... lol...

Way more than on NW Hikers or TAY... You must really like this BB... :mrgreen:

We let ANYBODY post...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:05 pm It is what it is Chris... No justification needed by me... That is just a fetish in your mind... Deal with it...

Chris has made 881 posts on a BB that he finds "unsuccessful and unreputable"... Hmmm...
actually, no. You improperly use the word "fetish" as a derogatory word in order to elicit an. emotional response out of me. That won't work.

One other disadvantage to posting entire articles is that when ever I have to look at a thread, I have to scroll past a very long page to get to the next post.

I know a minor complaint in comparison to someone who is allegedly willfully breaking the law. I guess you and Trump have more in common than you think. Sad that your ideology lead us down that path.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

It is what it is Chris... No justification needed by me... That is just a fetish in your mind... Deal with it...

Chris has made 881 posts on a BB that he finds "unsuccessful and unreputable"... Hmmm...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:06 pm Chris does seem to like to hang out a lot on "unsuccessful and unreputable" BB's... Hope he doesn't get his robes stained... One would think he would go elsewhere...
nice trolling Ray. You haven't yet justified using other peoples work without permission (allegedly). What's the story there?
Fun CH

Re: Trump indicted

Post by Fun CH »

There you go again Ray. Did you get permission this time? Here's the link to do that takes about 15 to 20 days, so I guess not.

clearance@latimes.com

Quote:

"Permission must always be obtained when using Los Angeles Times content (text, pages, graphics, photos, etc.). "
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Chris does seem to like to hang out a lot on "unsuccessful and unreputable" BB's... Hope he doesn't get his robes stained... One would think he would go elsewhere...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

realoldtimer wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:17 am In a copyright dispute, I got this verdict -- paraphrased -- decided by one judge --

Since the quoted material was used only to convey information and not for monetary gain, the suit was denied.

A different judge might decide differently.

Permission or not is easy to obtain so why would you even need to go see a judge?

More facts are needed to draw any type of conclusion from your post. The specifics of your particular case would need to be known.

What are the facts of the case? What was copied and where was it used? Was an entire article posted as Ray does and others have done and now post with respect for the authors rights?

Or was a small quote taken from the article with commentary and linked to the source which would constitute fair use and is allowable.

Did the article specifically have a copyright clause that you agreed to when you used the website? USA Today,(Content Ray uses) has that clause but that is not required to have copyright protection.

And I agree, a different judge with a different set of facts may draw a different conclusion.

These are just the laws of the land that any publisher of a website should understand.

Most successful and reputable website forums don't allow material protected by a copyright to be posted.
Fair use is fine

They follow the law. That is particularly important for this website because of all the politically motivated partisan public trials happening here.
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

In a copyright dispute, I got this verdict -- paraphrased -- decided by one judge --

Since the quoted material was used only to convey information and not for monetary gain, the suit was denied.

A different judge might decide differently.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Chris... once again... blah... blah... blah...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Ray you missed one so I moved it here.

This is speaking to Ray after I commented where he posted an entire online USA Today article which is protected by copyright law., I presume he thinks that's okay so I posted this story as one local example. It's so simple to ask permission before violating someone else's Right to benefit from their own work.
Fun CH wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:59 am Before you arrived and we were still dropping mountain bike lines down into what became your neighborhood, a local artist got a commission for a painting of a house.

The person (no longer with us) who purchased the painting used the painting for the cover of his Winthrop real estate business brochure. While he owned the painting he did not purchase the copyright and did not ask permission for it's use.

Maybe the artist didn't want her work represented on a real estate for sale magazine. Maybe she would have been OK with it. But he didn't ask.

Well real estate magazine were published and over 1000 free copies were distributed throughout the valley were you see such advertising brochures.

Man, I never saw a real estate brochure disappear so fast from the shelves. They were free after all.

Seriously dude, artists want control of how their work is used. That is THEIR RIGHT.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:54 pm Trump's infringement on 'Air' today in his speech would seem a much more serious violation than what Chris is concerned about.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... #rcrd14043
interesting that you would use the "whataboutism" argument here considering that you are very vocal in opposition to the use of that argument.

I do see that you have changed from posting entire copyright protected articles to only posting the "fair use" of other people's work. Thanks. Your actions set a good example.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Ray, you put my posts here because you enjoy trolling your membership as evidenced by the title you chose. Perhaps you should change the thread title to "Why forums should adhere to copyright law".

If you are going to allegedly steal other people's work to provide content for your site, perhaps you should man up and post according to the law.

in·teg·ri·ty
/inˈteɡrədē/
noun
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Trump's infringement on 'Air' today in his speech would seem a much more serious violation than what Chris is concerned about.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... #rcrd14043
pasayten

Chris's copyright fetish...

Post by pasayten »

Fun CH does seem very concerned about copyrights...

Moving them here so they don't clog the original threads with senseless gibberish...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Re: Canada wildfire smoke updates: At least 100 million Americans affected by air quality alerts

Post by pasayten »

Chris... blah blah blah
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Re: Canada wildfire smoke updates: At least 100 million Americans affected by air quality alerts

Post by Fun CH »

USA terms of service, this is what you agree to when you use their site. I only quoted a portion of that contract but it basically states don't violate copyright law without permission. They do allow you to make one copy for your personal use but contacting them to ask if you can use their content to provide content for your site would resolve the issue. Perhaps you did that?

https://cm.usatoday.com/terms/#:~:text= ... cial%20use.

"This Site and all the materials available on the Site are the property of us and/or our affiliates or licensors, and are protected by copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws."
Fun CH

Re: Psychiatrists warn Trump's psychosis will grow "as he becomes more desperate"

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:58 pm
I will continue to post articles that describe and analyze because the truth is the final arbiter and that's where the truth fits in.
But please don't violate copyright law while accusing others of breaking the law. Fair use is where you can quote another persons work that includes your own commentary.

Also keep in (open) mind that liberals (supported by reasearch) tend to be "closed minded and dogmatic". In other words, liberals tend to believe that only their principled POV is the only truth. BTW, I identify with liberal principles.

" dog·mat·ic
/dôɡˈmadik/
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true."

Here is a review,from a Christian POV, of social psychologist Jonathan Haidt's book "A Righteous Mind".

This review also gives good working model of how we reason, which is usally done post hoc after a judgement is made. We try to find evidence that supports our belief and that often has nothing to do with the actual truth.*

"I also appreciated his observation that liberals tend to be more dogmatic and narrow-minded than conservatives. So true, but all too often denied by liberals!"

"Haidt pleads with both sides to listen and learn from each other. In fact the two sides compliment each other. A healthy society needs both liberals and conservatives. But he especially urges liberals to recognize that conservatives are better at creating and preserving moral and social capital that are essential to any society. “Moral communities are fragile things, hard to build and easy to destroy” (p.342)"

https://elmerjohnthiessen.wordpress.com ... han-haidt/

*"If you think that moral reasoning is something we do to figure out the truth, you’ll be constantly frustrated by how foolish, biased, and illogical people become when they disagree with you. But if you think about moral reasoning as a skill we humans evolved to further our social agendas—to justify our own actions and to defend the teams we belong to—then things will make a lot more sense".

Jonathan Haidt, The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion"
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:37 pm
I suggest if you are so concerned about copyright infringement that you contact these news sources and let them know we are breaking the law.
And who are the very small group of vocal newcomers? This long ramble of yours sounds pretty divisive in itself, dividsion of the "newcomers" and those who have lived here for a very long time.
and to address these points. I pointed out the copyright issue to the forum owner, Ray. He doesnt seem to care that other peoples rights are being infringed upon, that their work is being used without permission. Very simple to ask for that permission from the copyright holder.

As far as newcomers, I'm one of those also. It is a small minority who come here and treat the locals as just part of the service that they are entitled too. That division is already there, pointing it may or may not help, but awareness of any issue is the first step.

Most people who come here become productive members of this community and are valued for what they bring. Some however desire ever more services and want the already income stressed local tax payers to foot the bill.

They also organize to stop further land development thereby putting local people out of work. They do this after they themselves have used the services of the people who will later loose work. In essence they want to shut the gate behind them.

It's all part of the rural gentrification process, look it up.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:52 pm That's all we are doing and giving some links that no company will care if the links are shared.
That's not correct. Whole articles that have copyright protection, have been copied and pasted here, some without links. Do you really think it's fair play to use someone else's work without permission? Would you be okay if I copy someone's architectural work and post house plans online without permission?
PAL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:52 pm Constantly nit picking at our speech. It's constant. We are good human beings and he makes us out to be criminals and hateful people.
Maybe Fun Ch has a psychosis? Desparate. I didn't know he was staff on this BB and is a moderator. Now I know.
This type of insult and attack is exactly the same tactic that Trump uses for those who disagree with him. But you left out calling me "desactimonious".

Jim and many others on the left use this online tactic while calling out that same behavior from Trump as deplorable. You all have successfully normalized that behavior in our political discourse, a win for Trump.

So, you have demonstrated my point quite well.

To address your psychosis comment;
Many people experience mental distress at some point in their life. It's not anything to take light off as they struggle through it. Using that as an insult is questionable.

You might want to consider that your post reflects your charector, not mine, good human.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:55 pm
As far as where we go now, I don't know, do you enjoy running a site that promotes hate and Community division? If so, I guess we go nowhere.
What a pompous jerk…. You are free to leave anything time if you don’t like it…. This is one of the few boards that hasn’t kicked you off….
You were kicked off a Methow.net so what's your point exactly? Using other people's work, while violating their copyright just to provide content for your forum is I guess is acceptable these days? The fact that you devolve into derogatory name calling speaks volumes I guess because you can't justify allegedly violating copyright law?
Last edited by Fun CH on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:18 am Actually, the article was posted on MSN and no copyright gibberish was posted with it... They use it as an advertising mechanism to get you to possibly subscribe... So what now?

"Man up"... lol...
BTW, you may have violated one of your pronoun guideline standards...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... eed3&ei=20
that article is copyright protected whether or not it includes a copyright mark.

As far as trans rights, which I assume is why you use the pronoun meme so frequently, using the correct pronoun is the first step to social acceptance of a person's right to exist freely in any society, especially here where that right is supposed to be an American value.

BTW, Saying man up to a man is perfectly acceptable, saying that to a trans women, most likely not.

As far as where we go now, I don't know, do you enjoy running a site that promotes hate and Community division? If so, I guess we go nowhere.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Actually, the article was posted on MSN and no copyright gibberish was posted with it... They use it as an advertising mechanism to get you to possibly subscribe... So what now?

"Man up"... lol...
BTW, you may have violated one of your pronoun guideline standards...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... eed3&ei=20
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 am You adding the copyright police to your righteous duties now? :-)
actually no, if I were policing your alleged violation of copyright law I would let the copy right holder know of the alleged violation and let them deal with it. Instead I'm asking you, if you don't have permission to post the article, to man up.

If you don't have permission to copy an article in its entirety, why violate the copyright? Most forums I visit have rules against doing that.

Many of the articles pilfered and posted here are taken from sites that depend on advertising and data collection as Revenue to pay the people that actually did the work.

And don't you think that if someone is going to post articles accusing Trump of violating the law, the poster should actually, you know, follow the law?

And here is just one problem with that "opinion" piece. Quote;

"Donald Trump, the traitor ex-president who attempted a coup on Jan. 6, a confirmed sex predator, an indicted felon who has been arrested for his alleged crimes".

Trump is not an "indicted felon". He has been indicted on felony charges but not as of yet a convicted felon. That is an important distinction which the author of the article fails to recognize as well as other allegations that he presents fact. In other words disinformation.

Unfortunately many of these sites have popped up lately to sow division in order to make cash or to satisfy other self-interest goals, like ego. Same thing Trump does.

We do however have to recognize he's probably one of the biggest money makers news and social media has ever seen.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

You adding the copyright police to your righteous duties now? :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson