Psychiatrists warn Trump's psychosis will grow "as he becomes more desperate"

Fun CH

Re: Psychiatrists warn Trump's psychosis will grow "as he becomes more desperate"

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:56 am Pharisee /phar·​i·​see ˈfer-ə-(ˌ)sē/

Someone who follows the impulse to be seen as righteous by obeying certain laws, while ignoring more important matters of the heart.

here's another quote from that Christian fellow from that link I posted.

"This is a book that touches on ethical reasoning, political analysis, and religious faith. There is, however, an ambiguity in the main title. The “righteous mind” can refer either to a mind that thinks about that which is right, or it can refer to a self-righteous or dogmatic mind."

Personally, with all the public land advocacy work that I've done that obviously upsets some people with self-interest goals, it should be clear that I don't care how people see me. I've been called every name in the book, but I have a good understanding where that comes from, which is their character not mine.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Re: Psychiatrists warn Trump's psychosis will grow "as he becomes more desperate"

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:56 am Chris... for being "somewhere else", you sure do post here a lot... lol...
Yea, I'm on a quest to stop the hate on your site, you know because it sprung up in our Community. The hope is people who come here leave their baggage behind and foster a spirit of, well..."peace, love and understanding".

I was fortunate to meet a family recently and fairly new to the Methow who embrace that spirit. When that happens my hope and faith is renewed.

But yea, I post on three musician sites and sometimes read TGR but have only one post there. None allow partisan propaganda for the echo chamber. That helps keep people from publically hating on each other and expands inclusion and participation.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Chris... for being "somewhere else", you sure do post here a lot... lol...

Pharisee /phar·​i·​see ˈfer-ə-(ˌ)sē/

Someone who follows the impulse to be seen as righteous by obeying certain laws, while ignoring more important matters of the heart.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Finding the moral platform is so much easier at 30,000 feet. Where it becomes dicey is when any commenter has to return to earth and debate those who argue using disinformation, misinformation and plain old fashioned lies. At ground level whataboutisms and both sides do it arguments are rampant and largely irrelevant, yet each thread we have to wade through it.

The truth is the baseline, no matter who delivers it, no matter who wades through the analysis, in the end the truth is what dissolves the tribalism so enough with the side ventures and rabbit holes.

So yesterday Trump's attorneys got an email that told them Trump was to surrender on Tuesday down in Miami and face 7 indictments. He went on rants declaring himself a victim on TruthSocial and then stood before a camera declaring all kinds of conspiracies were in the works. He is not a sane man. He is a desperate man and getting more so every day.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:06 pm Chris…. You want moderation and more rules, go somewhere else…. Or set up your own BB…. It is not that expensive…

This BB is set up for free expression…. That is one of its purposes…. The other is Okanogan County fire information
oh I am somewhere else.

Does your ideal of free expression include racial slurs and hate speech?

"Someone who acts with decorum is polite, calm and respectable. It also means the etiquette expected in an event. Someone who behaves with "dignity" is also polite and worthy of respect. It also describes the personal values of self-respect and respect for others."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Z_mnev5nw7
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

dorankj wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:44 am So Jim (and others) can post this but I say Let’s go Brandon and "Unsavory acronym" and I’m censored and slapped with psychological problems! Real even handed board you run here Ray.
Let's go Brandon is not censored... f bombs are... what's your problem?
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

So apparently the indictment has happened now, at least according to Trump... so stay tuned.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

You can **** off Jim you “unsavory acronym”! Yeah, seems real “free expression”
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

You can stop the flappy-handed pearl clutching, Ken. I fixed it for you.

Your continued defense of a dishonest, lying, misogynistic, racist psychotic is noted.
Last edited by just-jim on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

So Jim (and others) can post this but I say Let’s go Brandon and "Unsavory acronym" and I’m censored and slapped with psychological problems! Real even handed board you run here Ray.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

From HCR tonite:

“Pence, Hutchinson, and Christie are directly attacking Trump, Pence by saying the events of January 6, 2021, make Trump unfit to be president, Hutchinson by saying Trump should withdraw because of the criminal charges he’s facing, and Christie by attacking Trump and his family as grifters. At Saint Anselm College in New Hampshire yesterday, Christie reminded the audience: “Jared Kushner and Ivanka Kushner walk out of the White House and months later get $2 billion from the Saudis…. You think it’s because he’s some kind of investing genius? Or do you think it’s because he was sitting next to the President of the United States for four years doing favors for the Saudis?... That’s your money he stole and gave it to his family. You know what that makes us? A banana republic.”
https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/june-7-2023
I agree…Guilty Depends donnie probably wont do any extended jail time. My own personal hope for guilty, lying fat-azz donnie is that he gets at least a few weeks of cell time with a large man named ‘Bubba’, a guy with very, very LARGE hands. And Bubba makes donnie squeal and cry every day. Repeatedly. What could be a more fitting end to someone who has reamed us all for years?
Actually, if he just shut the **** up….that would be enough.
Last edited by just-jim on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Chris…. You want moderation and more rules, go somewhere else…. Or set up your own BB…. It is not that expensive…

This BB is set up for free expression…. That is one of its purposes…. The other is Okanogan County fire information
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

In reference to Facebook. I did rely on them for fire reports and there are some pages that are public. And many locals make comments, usually for the good, but sometimes it gets contentious. That's a forum you won't be able to change.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

It's all problematic when it comes to Trump.
Will his Secret Service attachment go with him is one that comes to mind.
However, he's what? 78? Chances are this won't go before a jury for another year to 18 months. After that Trump will automatically appeal which could take 2-3 years. Add to that the other indictments coming from the Florida case, the Manhattan case and the Georgia case and he's really looking to be spending the rest of his life in court one way or another, with fewer and fewer supporters by the day.

His father died of Alzheimer's. He is obese and unfit. But hey, he may outlive us all, just would be so much nicer if it were behind bars.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I suspect that Trump will do something really stupid and destructive when he gets the Federal indictment. Which looks likely to happen (the indictment) at this point. It is also important to remember that people who mishandled classified documents in ways similar to what he did (especially where he apparently lied about them when he was asked to return them) have done prison time.

For all that, I personally doubt Trump will spend any time in prison. Both because of his advanced age and being an ex-president I think logistically it is going to basically be impossible to hold him in any prison.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

As the saying goes the truth does seem to bend towards the Left.
Calling out writers that I link to as 'hacks' seems to be a tactic of yours to make their accountings trivial. I post links from experts so that the facts that the articles utilize can be put into context for lay people who don't have higher education. You'll note that I've posted by lawyers, doctors, Phd's and scholars. You have called them all irrelevant, not because you disagree with the facts they bring to the conversation but because they engage in analysis. If the truth mattered to you I would hope that you'd set aside your penchant for attacking the analyists and instead talk about the analysis.

Personally, I don't care a whit about how many swear words an article uses or if Trump is the target, some situations actually are better described with swear words than flowery prose. The whole world Trump brought to us is complicated and will seem more so as the next weeks we see the results of the grand juries' decisions. People will need to have some explanations of how the charges were made, how to interpret the laws that are cited and the context.

I will continue to post articles that describe and analyze because the truth is the final arbiter and that's where the truth fits in.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm So you would lke this BB to have a no politics policy?
I didn't say anything about stopping hate as not coddling.
You often quote Johnathan Haidt and he is the one that wrote the book, the Coddling of the American Mind. He points out reasons for the divisiveness.
If you haven't read it, it is so good.
They better take down Facebook as it is probably not benefitting our community as a whole either. Or any other sites. Ban 'em, then.
like I said it's the quality of political discourse that counts. People in an echo chamber attack their political opponents first and seek understanding, almost never.

What is the goal of all this preaching to the choir type political discussion?"

Are you trying to change minds or simply trying to confirm that your beliefs are righteous? Or is it the dopamine hit.*

To your other point. Facebook and Twitter have the ability to ban people from your group or not allow them in. Facebook Pages are mostly not for public viewing.

This site seems to have a no moderation policy, so go ahead and use all the derogatory language a person chooses to use to attack the other person. That's not political discourse. As Jonathan Haidt says, calling someone a racist is not an argument.

So do you believe that calling someone names or publicly calling a Community member a liar is good for our community? Yes call out bad behavior if it's proven to be true but that doesn't have to include a derogatory name calling attack.
Rideback wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:28 am What role does the truth have in discussions between polarized participants?
Lets face it, a lot of what you post is biased "get Trump" speculation using very a limited fact base to draw conclusions. It's media designed to sell product. That also happens on the right with things such as the Hunter Biden laptop or a stolen election. People believe what they want to believe as truth.

Good luck convincing the other side by posting partisan views that include attacks. But maybe changing hearts is not the goal anyway?*

"People can believe pretty much whatever they want to believe about moral and political issues, as long as some other people near them believe it, so you have to focus on indirect methods to change what people want to believe.

Jonathan Haidt"

"In accounts of men in battle, there is an incredible adrenaline rush from group-versus-group conflict. The fervor and passion of partisans is clearly rewarding; and if it's rewarding, it involves dopamine; and if it involves dopamine, then it is potentially addictive.

Jonathan Haidt"
PAL

Post by PAL »

So you would lke this BB to have a no politics policy?
I didn't say anything about stopping hate as not coddling.
You often quote Johnathan Haidt and he is the one that wrote the book, the Coddling of the American Mind. He points out reasons for the divisiveness.
If you haven't read it, it is so good.
They better take down Facebook as it is probably not benefitting our community as a whole either. Or any other sites. Ban 'em, then.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

What role does the truth have in discussions between polarized participants?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:43 am
But don't we still want to oppose a governemnt here, that is leaning towards authoritarianism, fascist or any other form like a dictatorship? We don't want anyone in the White House with Trump's psychosis, (referring to what this post is originally about), do we?

its the quality of political engagement that counts.

Many of the Articles posted here are full of logical fallacies and cognitive biases. For every psychologist on the left that may say Trump is mentally ill you'll find one on the right who says he's not. This is all just partisan based and money pays a role as people seem to enjoy consuming this partisan garbage.

If an article confirms a person's bias or belief those fallacies and biases will not be apparent. It will be taken as truth.

Better to engage in critical thinking, dig deeper and consider both sides of the argument. Ask, what are they trying to sell me?

Reputable people working in the field of psychology have a rule that's called the Goldwater rule.

"When providing opinions of psychological characteristics, psychologists must conduct an examination "adequate to support statements or conclusions." In other words, our ethical code states that psychologists should not offer a diagnosis in the media of a living public figure they have not examined."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwat ... 20examined.
PAL wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:43 am I still think we can discuss this guy and others on this BB, however. I don't believe in avoidance of stressful topics. I don't believe in coddling.
I think we can talk about it and not let it stress us

Meditation is a helpful practice.
But it does stress people out. Families are becoming divided over partisan politics. I know people who won't talk to family members or friends because each thinks they are so right and won't even consider the other person's opinion.

On platforms such as this or Twitter are people calm and collected when they post derogatory attacks? Or are they in a heightened angry emotional state?

Yelling hate at Trump is still hate. Yelling hate at community members is still hate no matter how justified one feels for doing so. Stopping hate is not coddling.

How many members of our community are willing to come into this fray? What maybe 6?

There is a reason MethowNet cracked down with its no politics rules. That move benefited our community as a whole IMO.

Here's a study on what todays partisan politics is doing to people's Mental Health.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3621003087

"Participants reporting an increase in polarization had 52–57% higher odds of developing depressive disorders (OR = 1.52, 95% CI: 1.01, 2.29, P = 0.047) and anxiety disorders (OR = 1.57, 95% CI: 1.07, 2.29, P = 0.02) compared to participants who perceived no change in polarization"
PAL

Post by PAL »

But don't we still want to oppose a governemnt here, that is leaning towards authoritarianism, fascist or any other form like a dictatorship? We don't want anyone in the White House with Trump's psychosis, (referring to what this post is originally about), do we?

Yes, every single day the media is mentioning Trump. He's getting great press, as you say. For how many years has it been going on now?

I still think we can discuss this guy and others on this BB, however. I don't believe in avoidance of stressful topics. I don't believe in coddling.
I think we can talk about it and not let it stress us. We do have a choice. We should be able to choose what we want to discuss.

Meditation is a helpful practice to get through the stress.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 pm What about a political party that is leaning that way? Shouldn't that party be questioned? Those words I listed are scary words, especially if activated and if these forms of government should come about.
The extremes of both parties are calling each other facists now. There are examples from both parties that facist ideology is in play, just like both parties support elements of socialist ideology. That doesn't make us fascists, socialists or communists.

Those words are used as insults in order to demonize the other party and sow division. Derogatory language has always been used to try to put someone down while elevating yourself above them. In reality, those who use derogatory language for that purpose are only putting themselves down. Using it to debate a point only shows that that person can't put together a cogent argument based upon facts.

Joe Biden has called for the end of this type of divisive rhetoric. Trump obviously embraces it.

Loosing the hate is also good for our own stress levels. Why have that guy in your head affecting your daily moods? And why listen the constant "getTrump"rhetoric and endless speculative analysis just to get all fired up over it?

The DOJ is handling it and they make the call.

Old poll:

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... n-the-u-s/

Public Highly Critical of State of Political Discourse in the U.S.

"The public renders a harsh judgment on the state of political discourse in this country. And for many Americans, their own conversations about politics have become stressful experiences that they prefer to avoid."
PAL

Post by PAL »

Yes, Jack changed his mind, but there was an agreement, or so the Forest Service thought, along with the Backcountry horsepeople. He wants to lease it to the FS and the FS doesn't want to do that. They still want to try to work something out. Jack is upset that the FS won't clear the trail. (Not my words) The trail is open to Lewis Lk still and they are replacing a bridge, if they haven't already.

What about a political party that is leaning that way? Shouldn't that party be questioned? Those words I listed are scary words, especially if activated and if these forms of government should come about.

Yes, a concern is that we could be out numbered and these high priced amenities would have us displaced.
HIgh Country News has an article about the West being loved to death.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:37 pm The South Cr. trail debacle is old news. The new news is that Jack had an agreement last fall with the FS and a several members of the backcountry horsemen and women, that he would allow a new bridge to be built on the upper portion of his land.There were papers drawn up and the FS was to purchase the land where the bridge would go. He has since reneged on the agreement.
i can send you the email chain if you like.

Are fascist, racist, Nazi's, cult members derogatory names? I do believe the things I listed need to be called out. I mean that a fascist, authoritarian and Nazi type government should be fought against.(of which there are individuals) I think a fair number of Trump supporters don't realize that his beliefs align with these forms.
But I don't think I have called out individual community members. Maybe I did at one time and you can probably dredge up something I said or agreed with.
The last 3 lines of your post about people that desire more services, etc. I agree with. But they are here, so we have to make sure we vote for the right people and say no to the tax levies that they want and other amenties that will cost the Valley workers jobs and reducing their income because they are forced to pay for the amenities.
regarding your question about derogatory speech, how would you feel if someone called facist, Nazi, or a cult member just for supporting your political candidate of choice?

Here's an WP opinion. Quote

"Tossing around ‘Nazi’ and ‘fascist’ as insults is reckless and historically illiterate"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... lliterate/

"Such reckless verbiage is, of course, not just grossly disproportionate and non-analogous to the real thing, it’s historically illiterate. The Anti-Defamation League has frequently had to issue reproaches such as, “Glib comparisons to Nazi Germany are offensive and a trivialization of the Holocaust.”

The term “fascist” is, if anything, even more absurdly misused, also by both of today’s tribes."

BTW, I'm glad you changed your post. Jack has every right to change his mind (if that is the fact )concerning how his property is used.

And yes, we have to vote however a new recreational District proposal that's put on the ballot will be decided by the vote of the majority in that district. As rural gentrification takes hold and more of the locals are displaced, we maybe soon out numbered. This is happening all over the west.

This use of derogatory language to demonize others is morally wrong and I hope it ends as awareness grows. Once I became aware that I was party to that practice also and its implications, I stopped. You'd be surprised how "freeing" that is.

Namaste ;)
PAL

Post by PAL »

The South Cr. trail debacle is old news. The new news is that Jack had an agreement last fall with the FS and a several members of the backcountry horsemen and women, that he would allow a new bridge to be built on the upper portion of his land.There were papers drawn up and the FS was to purchase the land where the bridge would go. He has since reneged on the agreement.
i can send you the email chain if you like.

Are fascist, racist, Nazi's, cult members derogatory names? I do believe the things I listed need to be called out. I mean that a fascist, authoritarian and Nazi type government should be fought against.(of which there are individuals) I think a fair number of Trump supporters don't realize that his beliefs align with these forms.
But I don't think I have called out individual community members. Maybe I did at one time and you can probably dredge up something I said or agreed with.
The last 3 lines of your post about people that desire more services, etc. I agree with. But they are here, so we have to make sure we vote for the right people and say no to the tax levies that they want and other amenties that will cost the Valley workers jobs and reducing their income because they are forced to pay for the amenities.
Pearl Cherrington