Inslee won't seek re election

mister_coffee

Re: Inslee won't seek re election

Post by mister_coffee »

pasayten wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:13 pm ...
What's your solution and timeframe? Need something to give the tax paying residents hope for the drug and theft jungle they have been forced to live in for many recent years... :( :( :(
We also have to be realistic and understand that whatever we do is going to be insanely expensive and in the very best case take years to improve the situation. That doesn't mean we shouldn't start but when people start screaming about how expensive it is we need to remember what we are signing up for.

There isn't going to be one solution, largely because there are some distinct populations of homeless folks and they'll need different kinds of help.

People who are working or are able to work should be given generous help to get housed, employed, and keep them working. That's probably a third of the homeless population and the easiest win to take. It still won't be cheap. Just not as ruinously expensive as what will come next...

People with a drug addiction should be given treatment and temporary housing. Then hopefully they can transition to the first category. Addiction treatment isn't 100 percent effective and is insanely expensive, on the order of $50,000 per patient. This is approximately the cost of a first-class summer vacation to Italy, and I suspect will be about as politically popular as giving all our heroin addicts free Italian vacations. There is also a capacity issue because we don't have enough treatment beds to treat everyone, and a homeless drug addict on a waiting list is still homeless and still on the streets.

People with mental health issues should again be given treatment and temporary housing. But again mental health "treatment" is at best primitive (approximately where medical care was when it was practiced with leeches) and not always effective. But it is still enormously expensive and again spending that much money on homeless people won't be politically popular. And again we don't have the number of mental health professionals needed to treat all of these people, even ineffectively. So we'll need to train them (mental health professionals) before we can make a real dent in this problem.

Finally, there will be some people we can't treat and can't help in any polite way. We're going to have to man up and admit that and also have the strong stomach it will take to involuntarily detain those people (some are criminals hiding amongst the homeless population, so involuntary detention will be prison) where they won't be a danger to themselves or others. This will involve bringing back involuntary commitment for the mentally ill and probably also "vagrancy" laws (even though those laws had a pretty toxic history).

I just have to question whether we will ever be willing to pay what all this will cost.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Like I say, it's complicated and the mythbusters piece is pretty enlightening.
We saw almost a decade ago now that Walmart wasn't paying it's employees a living wage and the company had calculated that they could set up a framework that would shove their employees into Fed'l and State programs to fill the gap of medical, food and care. That way Walmart could get cheap labor and not be on the hook for any perks.

Housing is a huge issue these days. I was surprised to see that such a large percentage of the homeless are actually working but they can't afford housing.

Mental health facilities and covered care have been cutback.

Vet care...we have a whole lot of vets on the streets as I'm sure you're aware...and when I look at the debt ceiling fight going on now, again it looks like vets could get shorted again if Rep's have their way. Rep's say no, but the McCarthy plan says yes.

As much as I'd personally like to vote for a person based on single issues, I'm old enough to know that no one has a magic wand.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Rideback wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:55 am Homelessness is a national problem, not just Washington's.
What's your solution and timeframe? Need something to give the tax paying residents hope for the drug and theft jungle they have been forced to live in for many recent years... :( :( :(
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Homelessness is a national problem, not just Washington's. It's also extraordinarily complex and had been generated long before Inslee came to office. Yes, it's gotten worse. Yes, something needs to be done. But I don't see anyone on that FB page offering up a magic wand solution. It's pretty easy to do a quick Google to see what Inslee has done and is doing, it's an ongoing priority in his administration so it's not like he's just turned a blind eye to it.

https://usafacts.org/articles/which-sta ... oiEALw_wcB

Mythbusting homelessness:
https://www.breaktime.org/post/breaking ... IYEALw_wcB
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

AG Bob Ferguson announcing this morning an exploratory for running for Gov
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Jingles