Washington State Joins 9 other States & DC to Generally Ban Assault weapons

Fun CH

Re: Washington State Joins 9 other States & DC to Generally Ban Assault weapons

Post by Fun CH »

From what I'm reading, the court challenges to State Laws banning assault weapons and magazine capacity limits are going nowhere.

In 2016 the Supreme court actually refused to consider the issue.

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left in place gun control laws in New York and Connecticut that ban military-style assault weapons like the one used in last week’s massacre at an Orlando nightclub, rejecting a legal challenge by gun rights advocates."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN0Z61JE

Of course the makeup of the
US Supreme Court is different now.

In Washington State, I'm guessing that anyone who desires to own an assault style weapon already owns at least one.

If you are keeping one for home self defense, wouldn't you be pleased knowing that you're probably able to outgun who's ever breaking in your door since AR15's will be harder to obtain in the State? And isn't a shotgun a better home defense weapon?

As far as hunting goes, I've only seen hunters carrying standard bolt action rifles around here. Is an AR-15 really the preferred choice for hunting?

About 15 years ago I gave away one semi-auto riffle (16 or so round mag) to a gun safety instructor in the Valley for use in his teaching.

Good to know he's dedicated to teaching kids gun safety and I believe is required now to buy a new gun in our State for all.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Fun CH wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:30 am In case you missed it like I did. Think I read that ban does not include already owned guns in the State.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d%20States.

"Washington state bans sale of assault weapons, including AR-15s

By Kelsey Ables
Updated April 26, 2023 at 3:29 a.m. EDT|Published April 25, 2023 at 11:32 p.m. EDT

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee signs a bill aimed at preventing gun violence on April 25 at the state capitol in Olympia, Wash. (Lindsey Wasson/AP)

Washington state on Tuesday banned sales of assault weapons, including the AR-15, which has been used in some of the deadliest mass shootings in the United States.

Gov. Jay Inslee (D) signed into law House Bill 1240, which prohibits the “manufacture, importation, distribution, selling, and offering for sale of assault weapons” and lists dozens of specific firearms — the AR-15, AK-47, M16 and M4 among them. It also prohibits equipment that can turn weapons into assault-style firearms and any semiautomatic weapon shorter than 30 inches in length. The bill includes some exceptions for firearms intended for military or law enforcement uses."
Yes you are correct it does not include or ban weapons already owned, just bans the new sale of complete weapons, also bans the sale, manufacture, or importation of weapons or parts to assemble a scarey looking weapon. Also bans more than just the scarey looking black rifles, includes any semi auto rifle that has certain characteristics, i.e. thumbhole stock, weapons with flash suppressor or muzzle break (used to reduce recoil) or weapons with threaded barrels
Fortunately this is already being challenged in court as unconstitutional
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

GOP reply in a tweet that's linked in that article

Washington State GOP
@WAGOP
@GovInslee
signs the Unconstitutional Rifle Ban into law, ignoring the root causes of gun violence and infringing on law-abiding citizens' rights.

Washington deserves better.
foxnews.com
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee signs ban on selling assault weapons: '
Fun CH

Washington State Joins 9 other States & DC to Generally Ban Assault weapons

Post by Fun CH »

In case you missed it like I did. Think I read that ban does not include already owned guns in the State.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d%20States.

"Washington state bans sale of assault weapons, including AR-15s

By Kelsey Ables
Updated April 26, 2023 at 3:29 a.m. EDT|Published April 25, 2023 at 11:32 p.m. EDT

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee signs a bill aimed at preventing gun violence on April 25 at the state capitol in Olympia, Wash. (Lindsey Wasson/AP)

Washington state on Tuesday banned sales of assault weapons, including the AR-15, which has been used in some of the deadliest mass shootings in the United States.

Gov. Jay Inslee (D) signed into law House Bill 1240, which prohibits the “manufacture, importation, distribution, selling, and offering for sale of assault weapons” and lists dozens of specific firearms — the AR-15, AK-47, M16 and M4 among them. It also prohibits equipment that can turn weapons into assault-style firearms and any semiautomatic weapon shorter than 30 inches in length. The bill includes some exceptions for firearms intended for military or law enforcement uses."