Bellingcat

Rideback

Re: Bellingcat

Post by Rideback »

Using open source resources the Bellingcat team is looking into the stolen Pentagon docs to veryify. The first 3 that they've looked at and analyzed are pretty interesting.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/04 ... documents/
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:34 pm it fails miserably when it comes to debunking.
One post on one site that clearly is more opinion than fact doesn't erase the Bellingcat remarkable history of open source evaluation.
that is your opinion. I'm sorry I can't cheer on group claiming to be a citizens group when they are international ex military intelligence. Why don't they just say so instead of the facade?

Start with a falsehood and hard to believe they are to be entirely trusted. But perhaps it's MRzine that is not being truthful even though they claimed to have called out McCarthyism back afte WWII.

Didn't you guys think that Julian Assange was the second coming along with Russian spy Edward Snowden?

And now the flavor of the month is Bellcat.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Return to your post, read its links, it fails miserably when it comes to debunking.
One post on one site that clearly is more opinion than fact doesn't erase the Bellingcat remarkable history of open source evaluation.
Check out the Bellingcat site with how they utilize the open sources and sift through the geolocations.
Fact checkers: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bellingcat/
You'll note that the reason they are labelled just left of center is because of the topics they choose to investigation, such as racism.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:30 am If you've never heard of Bellingcat nor seen any of their work it is really astounding. They are a worldwide group of individuals, many are hobbyists who have learned to provide geolocating and open source methods to do everything from discover the Russian agents who poisoned Navalny to tracking locations of the Russian forces and often debunking propaganda videos and charges made by Putin.

In this instance they took a viral video of 'Ukrainian forces' harassing a woman and child in her vehicle...

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/03 ... as-staged/
why would an average citizen need to debunk Putin's lies? We have an intelligence agency that does that, many it seems now work for Bellcat. Besides, can't ya just assume if it comes out of Put's mouth, its a self severing lie?

I think that group of Bellcats hobbyist's story has been debunked.

From the link I posted.

"Bellingcat looks far more like a bunch of spooks masquerading as citizen journalists than a people-centered organization taking on power and lies wherever it sees them."
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

The FBI has made an arrest in the Pentagon documents case
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/13/politics ... 1411408152
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

It seems some people fundamentally misunderstand what "Open Source Intelligence" even means. The whole point of it is that not only the conclusions being drawn from the intelligence analysis are shared, but also the exact sources and methods used to draw those conclusions are shared as well.

Bellingcat's super power is that they can rapidly geolocate images or video and give powerful indications if the imagery in question and the narrative behind it is authentic or misinformation. And they give regular humans enough information to go on Google Street View (or similar tools) and see with their own eyes what they found.

So, as a famous example, when MH17 was shot down over Ukraine in July 2014, Bellingcat was able to both locate the Buk missile launcher that shot the airliner down, but also track its movements before and after the incident. They did this using publicly shared social media images, street view, and online maps. All of which are available to anyone else who wishes to independently verify their discoveries and draw their own conclusions.

For more on this and why Bellingcat is worth following this PDF is worth a read:

https://www.bellingcat.com/app/uploads/ ... nce-EN.pdf
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:22 pm So be it, if you can't spend the time looking at the research Bellingcat has provided nor looking at the links in the article you posted then there's no point in you posting on this thread.
except to warn people to watch out for opinions that you have no way to verify as fact. If that article I posted a link to is true, Welcome to the masquerade bowl.

You seem to swallow everything that's feed to you, the more radical the better.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

So be it, if you can't spend the time looking at the research Bellingcat has provided nor looking at the links in the article you posted then there's no point in you posting on this thread.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:33 pm What statements do you disagree with about the video?
I don't like spend time on a site with a bunch of suspected hackers.

If the following statement is true from that link I posted.

"In his new book “We Are Bellingcat: An Intelligence Agency for the People,” the outlet’s boss Higgins writes: “We have no agenda but we do have a credo: evidence exists and falsehoods exist, and people still care about the difference.” Yet exploring the backgrounds of its journalists and its sources of funding quickly reveals this to be a badly spun piece of PR.

Bellingcat looks far more like a bunch of spooks masquerading as citizen journalists than a people-centered organization taking on power and lies wherever it sees them. Unfortunately, with many of its proteges travelling through the pipeline into influential media outlets, it seems that there might be quite a few masquerading as reporters as well."
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

What statements do you disagree with about the video?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Never heard of them. Never heard of mrzine either but here is their investigation of bellincat.

https://mronline.org/2021/04/12/how-bel ... #sidr-main

"it is very hard to hear a negative word against Bellingcat, such is the gushing praise for the outlet founded in 2014.

This is troubling, because the evidence compiled in this investigation suggests Bellingcat is far from independent and neutral, as it is funded by Western governments, staffed with former military and state intelligence officers, repeats official narratives against enemy states, and serves as a key part in what could be called a “spook to Bellingcat to corporate media propaganda pipeline,” presenting Western government narratives as independent research.

Citizen journalism staffed with spies and soldiers
An alarming number of Bellingcat’s staff and contributors come from highly suspect backgrounds. Senior Investigator Nick Waters, for example, spent three years as an officer in the British Army, including a tour in Afghanistan, where he furthered the British state’s objectives in the region. Shortly after leaving the service, he was hired by Bellingcat to provide supposedly bias-free investigations into the Middle East."

"Oh I'm on my way, I know I am
Somewhere not so far from here
All I know is all I feel right now
I feel the power growing in my hair " Cat Stevens

I don't know exactly what cat was saying there, but perhaps the only truth we really know is what we experience ourselves? Or why fall into an internet rabit hole.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I think the short answer is that some of the information is likely genuine, and some of it is faked. Some of the faked information is obviously faked very badly. But it is hard to know which is which at this point in time.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Bellingcat is now posting on the surprising Pentagon leaks which are shaping up to look horrendous for the US relationship with its allies.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/04 ... ence-leak/
Rideback

Bellingcat

Post by Rideback »

If you've never heard of Bellingcat nor seen any of their work it is really astounding. They are a worldwide group of individuals, many are hobbyists who have learned to provide geolocating and open source methods to do everything from discover the Russian agents who poisoned Navalny to tracking locations of the Russian forces and often debunking propaganda videos and charges made by Putin.

In this instance they took a viral video of 'Ukrainian forces' harassing a woman and child in her vehicle...

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/03 ... as-staged/