BLM Conservation Leases

just-jim

Re: BLM Conservation Leases

Post by just-jim »

I wouldnt get too worked up about this. I spent a lot of years reading and dealing with exactly this stuff…worked for both the BLM (briefly) and the FS -much longer.
The referenced underlying laws - FLMPA - applies to the BLM ,only. The FS has an entirely different set of policies and laws.
The history and legislation about the BLM has been oriented towards - especially - grazing, but also mining. Until 1976, with the passage of FLPMA, the BLM was basically a ‘custodial’ agency. They managed public lands only for THOSE specific benefits or for ‘disposal’…i.e. transfer to states or others, sale, trade, etc. (Old time BLM employees used to refer to BLM as the ‘Bureau of Livestock and Mining’….it wasnt too wrong!). A lot of this history and agency culture has to do with how the BLM came about - it was created as a union of the old GLO (General Land Office) and the Grazing Service- both relics from the Homestead Act era….old history I wont go into here.
The FS, like the NPS , has a much broader - and much larger - set of laws and policies they have to work under. The sorts of things ‘envisioned’ in the two articles are pretty well already in place for the FS. The FS already has the ability to do everything listed in the articles.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Did you read the link I put up about the myths?
Over 40% of homeless people are employed. They don't make enough money to be able to afford housing.
So if the homeless are swept off the streets far from their place of employment one would have to think there'd be a whole lot of shoppers who would be SOL at their favorite convenience store shortly thereafter.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Build the homeless camps in the far reaches of the N Casades, say same area as the grizzly recovery zone, solve two problems at once
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

far enough from anyone that few would complain. As long as everyone understands that we're basically building concentration camps for inconvenient segments of our population
Better and safer than what they have now
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

pasayten wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:45 pm Maybe build some homeless camps out there somewhere...
We have plenty of state land to do that.

I'd suggest both on state land N of Lake Quinalt and in the coulees NW of Moses Lake. Lots of room to put people there and far enough from anyone that few would complain. As long as everyone understands that we're basically building concentration camps for inconvenient segments of our population.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Maybe build some homeless camps out there somewhere...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

It'll be interesting to see what the public comments look like on this. The ranchers who have existing permits for grazing rights look like they may be seeing more regulations but nothing is set in stone yet and lots to tweeking yet to arrive.

https://nationalaglawcenter.org/blm-pro ... asing%20to
mister_coffee

BLM Conservation Leases

Post by mister_coffee »

This isn't exactly a new idea, but personally I think it is worth a try:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-wan ... 023-03-30/

https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files ... -29-23.pdf

Note that this is on BLM land, not on USFS land. So presumably you can only still purchase resources from the USFS if you intend to wreck the land and not preserve it. Although if this works and gets traction I'd expect the USFS to do nearly the same thing in the coming years.
Last edited by mister_coffee on Wed May 03, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea: