Recurrent covid dangers

PAL

Re: Recurrent covid dangers

Post by PAL »

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-car ... einfection

The Valley continues to have infection going around. Just last week I was in close proximity and shook hands with a person that later tested positive for Covid. I didn't get it. Know why? I had a mask on. I really do think that protected me. I just don't want to get it and risk long Covid.

Okanogan County is famous. Spokane News reports that our county has the highest number of Covid cases in the state.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

I do agree with the premise in the article that NIH went at their analysis bass akwards by following the symptoms rather than root causes but then again like all viruses Covid did not arrive with a playbook on how to get to know it. There's bound to be trial and error even though it seems obvious now that the symptoms shouldn't have had priority.

Autopsies have demonstrated that the virus is throughout the body, it is present in vital organs, the brain, bloodstream and ...
Also, the variants are reacting differently just as human bodies also present an infinity of variations. The priority still needs to be current vaccines, masks and good hygiene to stop the spread.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

A very interesting article on ‘long-covid’ and why research and medical folks are having difficulty treating it.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ors-stigma
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Science Denying Senator Falls to Long Covid
February 27, 2023

May I first say that I wish Senator Inhofe a speedy recovery.
That said, biology, like physics, has rules that we violate at our peril.

Huffington Post:

Former Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) attributed his decision to retire due to the long-term effects of COVID-19, telling local newspaper Tulsa World that certain symptoms were still affecting him day-to-day.

Inhofe voted against multiple coronavirus aid packages meant to help Americans at the height of the pandemic, including the Families First Coronavirus Response Act approved overwhelmingly by 90 senators in March 2020, and the American Rescue Plan in March 2021.

The 88-year-old did not say which symptoms he was dealing with. But he suggested he was in good company, alleging that other elected representatives in Congress are also struggling with long COVID behind the scenes.

“Five or six others have (long COVID), but I’m the only one who admits it,” Inhofe told Tulsa World.

At least one Democratic senator, Tim Kaine of Virginia, has spoken openlyabout his experience with lingering symptoms after contracting COVID-19.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

We know how to solve these problems, and we do for other diseases:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/tacoma ... ZA6J2HTP4/

Judge issues arrest warrant for Tacoma woman with TB refusing treatment

By Theresa Robinson, KIRO 7 News and KIRO 7 News Staff
March 02, 2023 at 4:30 pm PST

VIDEO: Judge issues arrest warrant for Tacoma woman with TB refusing treatment

TACOMA, Wash. — A judge has issued a civil arrest warrant for a woman with tuberculosis, allowing law enforcement to arrest her as soon as Friday after she refused to isolate or take life-saving medication for over a year.

After her arrest, she would be taken to a facility equipped for isolation, testing, and treatment.

The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department says this is only the third time in 20 years that it has had to seek a court order to detain a potentially contagious person who refused treatment for TB.

“We have worked with family and community members for more than a year to do everything we can to persuade this woman to take her medication to protect herself and our community,” said Nigel Turner, division director of Communicable Disease Control in Pierce County, in a blog post on Tuesday. “After 15 court hearings, we are closing in on our last option.”

On Feb. 24, the judge overseeing this case found the woman in civil contempt for refusing to comply with an order to resume taking her medication or voluntarily isolate herself.

Most people with TB disease will need to take TB medicine for at least six months to be cured, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“In each case like this, we are constantly balancing risk to the public and the civil liberties of the patient. We are always hopeful a patient will choose to comply voluntarily. Seeking to enforce a court order through a civil arrest warrant is always our last resort,” said Turner.

Washington averages about 200 cases of active TB per year, with about 20 of those cases occurring in Pierce County.

State law requires healthcare providers to report all cases of active TB to a local health department.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Dr Eric Topol of Scripps reviewed the research and studies focused on heart issues of those who have had Covid. The first results from large studies were from the beginning of the outbreak when vaccines weren't available. As more studies came out there were similar patterns. Stroke and heart attacks are a real concern for those who have had Covid.

Then Topol turns to the more current studies that look at the impact of vaccinations on the incidences. Vaccines to make a big difference but they don't bring the rate down to zero. Bottom line, do whatever you can not to get Covid in the first place.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/heart- ... dium=email
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

1 in 10 will suffer from symptoms of long covid

https://www.theage.com.au/national/we-r ... b-46759938
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

It was a screwup not to share all data.

My own suspicion is that this was an honest screwup, not a nefarious one. And what I think we are seeing is a bunch of organizations (most notably the FDA, but also the CDC and Pfizer and Moderna) who aren't at all designed to move fast but are being forced to do so by the rapid progression of events.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Topol's article that I linked to addresses the topic in the CNN piece. Now that the actual results are coming in they are better than predicted.
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Eric Topol on how the Bivalent booster is outperforming

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the-bi ... dium=email
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

Right there with ya.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

This is one of those cases where the advantages of being an asocial hermit outweigh the disadvantages.