Liz Cheney says the Republican party is 'very sick' and still under the control of 'a dangerous former president'

PAL

Re: Liz Cheney says the Republican party is 'very sick' and still under the control of 'a dangerous former president'

Post by PAL »

Just today it was asked of Republican Andy Barr of Ky, what the Republican plans would be instead of the Inflation Reduction Act. He could only say they have a [plan. He would and could not be specific. There is no plan, except to continue their grifting.
The news played part of Liz's speech and Andy had no reply for it.
An interesting read is "Thank You for Your Servitude". Non-fiction. Has the cast of characters of the Republican party and why they support Trump.
Lindsey Graham being one of the worst. It's all about them and power. Getting close to the headiness of power and forgetting about why they were elected to do a job. All of them kissing arse to heir Trump.
Mom Nature may have the last say with water shortages. People moving to Utah and dry sunny climes. Sucking water from the Colorado River and Lake Mead. Short sighted.
Pearl Cherrington
Rideback

Re: Liz Cheney says the Republican party is 'very sick' and still under the control of 'a dangerous former president'

Post by Rideback »

The whole Cheney vs Trump and The Big Lie scenario has a whole lot of moving pieces.

The Rep Party of my childhood and growing up years was vibrant, full of policies and strong arguments. That's not the case today. Officially, the Rep Party lacks a plaform which happened when it decided not to create and promote one during Trump's run in '20. Instead they just mumbled, 'whatever he says'.

What evolved during Trump's presidency and solidified in the aftermath of his loss is a peculiar forfeiting by the Rep Party leaders of their allegance to their Party history in favor of an abject cow towing to one individual - Trump. For a party that has a long history of strength of character, it is bizarre to watch Sen Lindsey Graham waffle and melt down. The Nixon Rep's that went through Watergate may have been home to a fair amount of crooks but once Nixon's actions were revealed to them they stood up to him, stood with their Country. The comparison to today's Rep's is stunning.

Cheney will likely run for Pres in '24. The Rep's will likely not allow her on the debate floor, not allow her to use (R) in front of her candidacy, run ads against her...BUT, there's no doubt she's prepared for all that and her hometown of Jackson has a very large constituency of very rich & influencial Rep's who will likely support her plans as they agree that Trump must never be allowed in office again. Indeed, the Rep party may have more to fear from Cheney than Trump does. We'll see.
pasayten

Liz Cheney says the Republican party is 'very sick' and still under the control of 'a dangerous former president'

Post by pasayten »

insider@insider.com (Pocharapon Neammanee) - 19m ago

Rep. Liz Cheney, on Sunday, said that large portions of her Republican party are "very sick".
Cheney said that many of her Republican colleagues continue to believe in what Trump says.
Despite losing the election, Cheney said she will continue to fight for what she believed in.

Rep. Liz Cheney on Sunday said that large portions of her Republican party are "very sick" and says that they still believe in what former President Trump says.

"I think, one, it says that people continue to believe the lie, they continue to believe what he's saying, which is very dangerous," Cheney told Johnathan Karl, host of ABC's This Week when asked what her recent defeat says about Trump's hold on the Republican Party.

"I think it also tells you that large portions of our party, including the leadership of our party, both at the state level in Wyoming, as well as on a national level with the RNC, is very sick."

Trump-endorsed Harriet Hageman soundly defeated Cheney in the recent Republican primary.

Cheney – who only received 30% of the vote for the Wyoming At-large Republican primary — told Karl that she believes that so many in the Republican party are under the grips of former President Trump, saying that her party needs to decide what its values are.

"We really have got to decide whether or not we're going to be a party based on substance and policy or whether we're going to remain as so many of our party are today, in the grips of a dangerous former president," Cheney said.

Despite her loss, Cheney said she would continue to fight for her principles in the constitution while her party was still under the influence of the former president.

"What I'm fighting for is the Constitution. What I'm fighting for is the perpetuation of the Republic. What I'm fighting for is the rule of law -- the fact that everybody's got to abide by the rule of law," she said.

"What I'm fighting for is the fact that elections have to matter and that when the election is over, and the courts have ruled and the electoral college is met, that the president of the United States has to respect the results of the election."

She added, "What I'm fighting for is the principle that we have a peaceful transition of power, and that we don't determine who rules based upon violence," Cheney said
pasayten
Ray Peterson