Keep and fix old pool on public $$$
No votes
Keep and fix old pool on private $$$
50%
I don't care
No votes

Total votes: 4

pasayten

Re: Twisp Swimming Pool Poll... (Updated)

Post by pasayten »

March 24th Community Forum video...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y15mq3 ... SdxNn/view
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Thanks. Keep us posted. I am assuming a new Recreation District would be using a part of our money and grant/other monies?
And then it would be on and on, for the upkeep. Maybe people below a certain income wouldn't have to pay. Ha.
Massive amounts of money was raised for the new library in Winthrop. Why haven't they done that? Well, they have and it comes in dribs and drabs, so it's obvious there may not be that many users.
Here we go again. And with inflation going on, good luck.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

FYI... Heard a presentation from the Freiends of the Pool at a Kiwanis meeting this morning... They seem to be focusing or homing in on the formation of a recreation district for the new pool... Not really what I personally wanted to hear... I will start seeking out more information and post to this thread.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Thanks Chris for the research and clarifying about the rink. So it would seem, instead of me getting my dander up about property taxes that it needs to be impressed upon those wanting the pool, that they will have to go the way of grants, donations and matching funds. The MVNews reported that the recreation district idea was discussed again, and that is what got me going. It was an alarm.
I filled out new poll. Hope I didn't vote twice. Leave out the public $$$. Private only, that's my vote.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Re: Twisp Swimming Pool Poll...

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:03 pm Good poll and good questions. Now, what about maintaining it and it's staggering operational costs? As long as my property taxes don't go up more I am fine with the finacials of private funding and I think grants were mentioned.
Wasn't the ice rink funded and doesn't Methow Trails function without property taxes?
State grant to buy the land and volunteers keeping the spirt of the Methow alive.

https://winthropwashington.com/2020/02/ ... en-on-ice/

"The fundraising for the refrigeration system was a snap,” recalled Calvert between games last Saturday. “You can’t believe how quickly we secured the donations [prompting matched fund from the state]. And I can’t say enough about the volunteers for both Phase 1 and Phase 2. We have counted more than 850 volunteers. Remember this is Methow Valley [population 5,900]. We even had all sorts of high school students out here tying all those darn rebar ties. On the cement night, we had to cover it all with plastic sheets and it was raining. Tough job. The best part is everyone had a smile on their faces. We all know it has been worth it.”
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Sorry... I added an option and it zapped the previous votes...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Good poll and good questions. Now, what about maintaining it and it's staggering operational costs? As long as my property taxes don't go up more I am fine with the finacials of private funding and I think grants were mentioned.
Wasn't the ice rink funded and doesn't Methow Trails function without property taxes?
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I know the options are necessarily limited, but this poll eliminates what I'd think would be the best options before they were even on the table.

One question: when you say "public $$$" do you include all public dollars or just local government funds? Because I think one way to get partway there is with some federal matching dollars, which if you look at the history was part of how the Wagner pool got built in the first place.

A local private capital campaign that raised say 60 percent of the funds, with local government ponying up 20 percent somehow and federal matching dollars still another 20 percent would be one plausible funding pathway.

Since we are heading into a period of rising interest rates, this is a bad time for local governments, especially small thinly funded local governments, to make bond issues.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

Twisp Swimming Pool Poll... (Updated)

Post by pasayten »

Taking a pool on options for the Twisp swimming pool
pasayten
Ray Peterson