Kicked Off the Methownet BB

fraulein57

Re: Kicked Off the Methownet BB

Post by fraulein57 »

Never fear because soon there will be free Quantum speed of light internet for the planet via Starlink. No more EMFs or routers or burying cables. Also Free Tesla energy etc. It is coming so it seems. Refer to Tesla Files on the History Channel showing how it works and Quantum.gov. Tear down all transmission lines and ugliness. No more power outages or threatening cutoffs if you dont pay the PUD on time or peak rate charges or smart meters driving away birds and radiating everything. This all goes along with the restored US Republic and restored sovereignty and real freedom for individuals and nations. 90% less govt stifling our way of life. Thedocuments.info New financial system incoming and the gold standard. Privacy for individuals. Time will tell.

P.S. Psy attention to the US Debt Clock, things are happening and secret messages appear Thurs Sat and Sundays from 6pm to midnight eastern time. USdebtclock.org. The Fed is dead and the Federal Reserve Note no longer appears on the US Debt Clock but only the US Treasury Note. It is happening already but system crashes first to allow the Phoenix to rise from the ashes a new quantum finl system is ready and waiting to be ushered in.
SOulman

Re: Review of "Dividing Paradise" posted n Methownet

Post by SOulman »

David makes good points. Running a bulletin board is a no-win operation.

We all ought to question the value it provides.

I think I'm done. I'm totally slack-jawed that a post ranting about FedEx package delivery is a thing, but an opportunity to discuss/debate the community's values and future goes nowhere.

Steve Oulman
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Just speaking from actual experience here. I ran multiple bulletin boards with literally thousands of users back in the day. And "back in the day" was a time when most of you wouldn't have known how to turn a computer off.

Not to humblebrag too much, but my work in the 1980s on computer bulletin boards and messaging services was state of the art. Some of the innovations that we came up with back in those antediluvian days are being patented by Facebook, Google, and Amazon even today, forty years on. But we have killer prior art.

What I'm saying is, that in spite of the technology having moved on, how humans behave hasn't changed much at all. I'm not at all surprised that Methownet struggles with their board as much as they do, and I don't think there is any right way for them to run it. What we have here is a bunch of folks who have gotten the bad end of that stick and of course they aren't going to like the Methownet people very much or be very charitable about their struggles.

Again, there isn't any right way for an organization like that to run a public access bulletin board. Whatever specific issues people have, and there are a lot of them, doesn't really matter. Even if they didn't make those specific mistakes they would inevitably make other ones. That's how lose-lose situations work.

I am more in a place of shaking my head in pity and sorrow. If they had a lick of common sense they would just shut that board down. It just isn't worth it to them, and in the long term to anyone else.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Fun CH wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:08 pm David, Unfortunately, Methownet seems beholden to their largest customer base, which I'm guessing are commercial users invested in the tourist economy. What I don't get is why they let the prop 1 discussion to go on for several days on several different threads then took it all down. They didn't just lock it.

I can see why national political discussion topics are banned on many special purpose forums. However discussing cultural changing local issues would seem to be part of a community BB, especially one that allows OCC minutes to be posted.
They either lock or just delete it because it does not coincide with the way they feel. No other way to say it they are do it my way or take the highway
PAL

Post by PAL »

They sure did let that post go on and on. Seven pages worth. Maybe they were just curious or on vacation.
BOCC meetings and agendas are allowed to be posted it seems. No one ever comments on them. Does anyone even read them? Lots of words.
I posted the public service announcement about the RCW for stealing signs. I can't remember if it morphed and had a discussion.
If any more signs are stolen, let Ray know.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

I was banned some years back when I attempted to get a thread going on critical race theory...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:19 pm If not for double standards they have no standards at all! They’ll throw you off even if you just defend from other’s smears or hostility if you don’t support the right positions. Ask how I know, lol.
that is so true. Chris Behrens directed a lot of nasty comments towards me whereas I never called anyone a derogatory name there, yet I was banned while he is still there.

His latest attack was launched on Pete and Behrens was able to get that stolen signs thread removed.
pasayten wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:24 pm I am PERMANENTLY banned also... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I finally got Starlink and banned them as a provider... Much faster internet...
I don't know why you were banned, you were posting civilly.

Class blindness has its allies.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

I am PERMANENTLY banned also... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I finally got Starlink and banned them as a provider... Much faster internet...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

If not for double standards they have no standards at all! They’ll throw you off even if you just defend from other’s smears or hostility if you don’t support the right positions. Ask how I know, lol.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Maybe they should rename from bulletin board to buy/sell/job forum... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

David, Unfortunately, Methownet seems beholden to their largest customer base, which I'm guessing are commercial users invested in the tourist economy. What I don't get is why they let the prop 1 discussion to go on for several days on several different threads then took it all down. They didn't just lock it.

I can see why national political discussion topics are banned on many special purpose forums. However discussing cultural changing local issues would seem to be part of a community BB, especially one that allows OCC minutes to be posted.
Last edited by Fun CH on Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

In fairness to Methownet, through experience I learned that running a fully open message board when you are a for-profit business is basically self-destructive. You'll inevitably end up either alienating nearly all of your users or hosting content that is horrifying to a lot of your users and the general public. There unfortunately isn't a great way to thread the needle, so you are inevitably trapped in one of this video games where it just keeps getting harder and harder until you lose.

Most of the fora I participate in these days are walled gardens where the actual set of topics are seriously proscribed, mostly to nuts-and-bolts technical discussion. Political discussions are frowned upon. Though sometimes it is hopeless to avoid such discussions. One recent example is one computer vision forum where there have been a succession of people who need to be walked through the mechanics of building complex and accurate facial recognition systems for their employers.

Who those employers are is left unsaid, but I suspect that at least in some cases they (the employers) are people I wouldn't like very much. Either unpleasant governments who have a need to spy on their own citizens, or nutcases who want to build autonomous killer drones to assassinate people.

Also entertaining has been discussion about facial recognition datasets, which inevitably build recognizers that recognize white and male faces with very high accuracy, but do much less well for non-white faces and non-male faces. Though speaking personally I'd prefer it if these things performed at their very worst when looking at white and male faces, such as the one I operate.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Of course it would be locked. No surprise there. It would devolve and get way more snarky comments than on this BB.
It says, Buy, Sell, Trade. They prefer discussions be held face to face or at a coffee shop.
Personally, I think it should be discussed on there but they have their guidelines. They may reach a broader audience than this one, which would make it worthwhile to reach more people that seem to have their head in the sand about what is happening to the Valley. Yes, there will be growth and change but as has been said, don't Bend the Mehtow.
Pearl Cherrington
SOulman

Post by SOulman »

Blocking discussion of an academic topic of importance to our community speaks volumes about who we are and where we are heading.

I say this as a community planner/policy analyst.

Steve Oulman
spaceship

Post by spaceship »

The “Dividing Paradise “ thread on the Methownet bulletin board has been locked !
Mark58

Post by Mark58 »

Maybe switch services? I left to go to NCIData. Better and cheaper
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

If methownet is your internet provider, and you have an older radio... Does your service now seem sluggish? There is a problem of the older radios coming off Studhorse at being capped at arounf 3Mb/sec... We are paying for 7... It was cut in half... Nobody notified us of the issue... I found out when I called in to complain. There are two options to fix... $40 "key" with potential up to 10 or $300 new radio and potential greater than 10. I chose the $40 key and upgraded speed up to 10... Cost $10 more a month but will support HD movies for us. Would have been good customer service to send out a notice to us customers with old radios... Just sayin'...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

I noticed that too! Is it a trap? Ha.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

One of methownet's BB rules is no bumping of threads...

They just bumped one... lol... :-)

Forest Service Bright Lights
Post by duncan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:54 am

Our Valley at night appears to be quiet and reasonably dark. Most residences and businesses have dimmed their lights EXCEPT FOR USFS. They have three large lights on the office building bright enough for night aircraft landings. The equipment building has one small light. Does anyone know why these bright lights are necessary ? Bronson

Re: Forest Service Bright Lights
Post by AirForcevet » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:55 am

Security would be my guess. Recently someone stole several catalytic converters from parked Forest Service vehicles overnight.

Post by tomandmonica » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:03 pm

I have been intending for quite some time to go up and see if there is something that can be done about that. It shines right in our bedroom window. If security is the the concern, motion sensor lights are more likely to disrupt evil doers. Security cams are another option. Shrouding the lights to direct the beams down are another. Blazing lights directed out across multiple neighborhoods are a poor choice for a public agency.
Tom Forker

Post by Reapward » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:03 pm

Do talk to them. They may not even know the impact(they should) Shrouds pointing the light down is a simple inexpensive solution. There are "dark skies" guidelines and the "Good Neighbor Handbook" talks all about it.
Pearl Cherrington

Post by bobcat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:58 am

It is not necessary to illuminate anything outside of the area that is intended to be illuminated. It just requires shades.
Gary Ott

Post by bumper » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:52 am

I recommend that you talk to the Forest Service folks. You can find some good information on discussing light pollution with your neighbor(s) at the International Dark Sky Association website:

https://www.darksky.org/our-work/lighti ... -lighting/

Dean Kurath

Post by Methownet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:38 pm
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Thank you for proving my point! The ONLY President Putin didn’t expand under was Trump. ‘04- Georgia, Bush; ‘14- Crimea, Obama; ‘22- Ukraine, Biden. Weakness is provocative! And “deluded”? I think it’s pretty clear who’s deluded.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:11 pm ‘None are so blind who WILL (themselves to) not see!’ Enjoy your echo chamber.
"The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know.”
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Let's give Trump a cheer! Go Putin!
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

OK. Well, when I invoked your name, you posted! Trump is still breathing and does he still support Putin? Probably because he is a "strong" man. A man's man, you might say. A great example of governing, don't you think? (referring to Putin)
This should go on the other post about the GOP. I digressed.
Pearl Cherrington
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Nope! World is going swimmingly (except Trump is still breathing). Carry on
PAL

Post by PAL »

Ah, Ken, I see you might have been reading our echo chamber.
Can you add something besides an unoriginal quote that is not clear?
Can you tell us what we are blind to that we cannot see? I mean it.
Are you learning anything from the discussions?
Pearl
Now you can say I am hateful or whatever, but I am wanting you to be specific and add something.
Pearl Cherrington