Winter Olympics

PAL

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by PAL »

Yes, the media pressure is intense. Felt bad for Shiffrin too. Other athletes have had the pressure get to them. Gymnastics.
I think it is Simone Bailes that brought the pressure and mental stress to the forefront. When to back off, even though they train almost all their lives.
Been watching the ski cross. These people can ski! Half pipe too. A wipe out where the guy hit the top with his torso. I thought for sure he'd wouldn't be able to ski out, but he did. Probably hurt the next day!
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Agree, no way she should have gotten a 4th place.

But this does speak to all the additional presure media hype puts on the athletes.

Mikaela Shiffrin choked big time.

" all you really got to do is never let them get to you"
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

Now we know she has placed fourth with many falls. She was very stressed and nervous. It is a sad situation. The adults and coaches in charge of her should have to answer to this. Russia is not allowed to compete as Russia, so then they created the Russian Olympic Committee. Which is really Russia.
Another scenario is if she had won gold, but then stripped of the medal, that is humiliating too.
The question this raises is, what is fair?
Just watched her program and her heart(no pun intended) was not in it. l was amazed she got 4th with all those falls.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Latest drug test now says 3 substances were found in her body. And some people are saying that it's about the doping now, not about skating. Well, yeah, if there is illegal doping going on, of course they will be talking about it.
I still disagree and now more than ever that she should have been allowed to skate. Of course, maybe the other 2 substances aren't banned. Only one is banned, the news said today,the 17th.
They will be interviewing other relatives to see whose medicine cabinets she raided. I'm making that up. But at 15 is she really the innocent one in all this? Maybe so, maybe not. She must have trusted her minders and asked no questions.
This puts a taint on the sport. I repeat, of course it is about the doping as she made it so or her minders did. If she hadn't had a banned substance in her, but was still able to compete, everyone would be talking about what a great skater she is. She is incredible and I only watched the 1st short program. But I haven't watched skating since.
It appears it's ok to cheat....
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:53 pm Here's one for you. The Olympic Arbitration Committee just said Kamila Valieva could still compete even though she tested positive for a banned drug. I haven't heard if this drug was a legitimate prescription, in that she has a heart condition. It appears not. She can't be in the medal ceremony. But to let her compete is a slap in the face to all those skaters that don't dope. Some former famous skaters were commenting on this. Tara Lepinski and Johnny Weir. They were not happy.
I thought, what if all the skaters competing would refuse to compete, all at once. And let little Miss Valieva just go out on the ice alone. Oh, she's only 15 and didn't know what was going into her body. Tara and Johnny explained that from a very early age in competition they knew what drugs were banned.
Wonder if ole Putie had anything to do with this.
I watched her skate in the short program. She blew a move and still placed 1st. The commentators, both former skaters, made it very clear that she should not there skating due to the drugging issue.

Personally, I think the decision to let her skate and then make the final determination is a good one. Evidence is still coming in such as how she was accidentally dosed by her Grandfathers heart meds.

I know, that does sound bogus. Perhaps a story an official like a politician would come up with.

Is it more likely that her trainers said, here take this, without her knowing the full ramifications of what she was doing? Or did she know and was onboard with it and was willing to risk her career and throw away that hard work.

She's young and a talented figure skater. Did she really need a drug that increases stamina?

At any rate, IMO, the commentators were out of line and more focused on their own egos. They made news and people are talking about them.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Here's one for you. The Olympic Arbitration Committee just said Kamila Valieva could still compete even though she tested positive for a banned drug. I haven't heard if this drug was a legitimate prescription, in that she has a heart condition. It appears not. She can't be in the medal ceremony. But to let her compete is a slap in the face to all those skaters that don't dope. Some former famous skaters were commenting on this. Tara Lepinski and Johnny Weir. They were not happy.
I thought, what if all the skaters competing would refuse to compete, all at once. And let little Miss Valieva just go out on the ice alone. Oh, she's only 15 and didn't know what was going into her body. Tara and Johnny explained that from a very early age in competition they knew what drugs were banned.
Wonder if ole Putie had anything to do with this.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Americans men's hockey beat Canada for the first time in 12 years.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/usa-vs ... ens-hockey
PAL

Post by PAL »

The mixed team snowboard cross, US just won gold! And by the oldest snowboarders in that sport in the Olympics. The guy is 40 and Lindsey Jacobelous is 36! I know I probably spelled her name wrong.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Great vid and great stories. I've never downhilled even and those moguls even make my knees hurt
I love watching the snowboard cross. It's crazy!
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Silver medal for Jaelin. Yea!

Watch the competition. The tape is compressed down to around 5 minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZcngK4kSPo
Fun CH

Winter Olympics

Post by Fun CH »

Just watched the mens and womens Mogul competition where the top ten advance to the final. A U.S. 25 y.o. lady named Jaelin Kauf placed number 1 and will advance.

In the 2018 Olympics only the top 6 advanced to the finals and she placed 7th. At that time she was ranked number 1 in World Cup competition leading up to the Olympics.

It was exciting to see tonight's competition and my knees hurt just watching.

Her dad Scott is from Kirkland and he was a 5 time champ on the pro mogul circut,but back then pros could not compete in the Olympics.

Her mother Patti was a 3 time pro mogul champ. Scott and Patti met on the tour and had two children.

This is special for me because Scott and I were good friends when we both taught skiing at Mission Ridge in the early 80's. He ripped the bumps of course and his signature jump was a double daffy while doing a 360 while skiing moguls.

I lost touch with Scott when he moved to Alta and I moved up here.

Seeing his daughter rip bumps at the Olympics reminded me of his style of skiing.

Scott's Nick name was Robo-Kauf. He was one smooth precise skier and I cherish those Mission Ridge memories.

Like at one party when the guys put on skis and skiied down the 2nd floor steps to see how far they could make it across the living room floor. My girlfriend at the time Laurie and I watched the friendly competition and laughed but no way I'd do that.

Or one time Scott and I were skiing out of bounds at Mission. Before we Skiied a colour, Scott decided to push on the cornice with one ski to try and break a piece off while keeping the other ski firmly planted on stable snow. That is slope testing technique to see if the cornic collapse will cause the slope below to avalanche. The cornice did break but I can still see Scott in slow motion go down with that cornice. We both had a good chuckle as he was unfazed and like a cat always landed on his feet.

Best of luck to Jaelin. She goes for it and if she doesn't crash... Gold medal.