A lot of Ivermectin claims based on fake/false data

Fun CH

Re: A lot of Ivermectin claims based on fake/false data

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:18 pm That's been known for a while.

Just my opinion: this isn't an education problem, this is a mental health problem. When people are willing to believe any ridiculous thing (e.g. that you can treat covid by gargling hydrogen peroxide, or that pre-treating yourself with horse medicine will keep you covid-free) but will not listen to their family doctor, trusted and respected family members, or trustworthy members of their own community when it comes to their own health and safety education is most definitely not the problem. What we are seeing today is best described as a kind of mass hysteria.

Many people may question whether I have the expertise to make that kind of claim. I'll argue that I don't have to be a chef to know that I'm looking at a cheeseburger.
It could be both an educational problem and/or a neurological disorder. I suggest reading the whole article.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2772693

"Science Literacy Is Essential

COVID-19 science is complex, and the public is presented with a dizzying array of graphs, statistics, and proposed therapies. Also, communications by scientists changed as they learned about the infectivity and virulence of COVID-19, exacerbating mistrust of scientists by some. In 2015, in a survey of 11 000 12th-grade students who took the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) science assessment, only 22% were proficient or better in science, and 40% were rated as having “below basic knowledge.”3 Education matters. In a study that included 9654 US adults, 48% of those who had a high school education or less believed there was some truth to the conspiracy theory that COVID-19 was planned but only 15% among those with some postgraduate training endorsed this idea.4

How does low science literacy cause otherwise rational and competent people to misunderstand the threat of COVID-19 and allow them to feel more comfortable with false data than with scientifically sound information? Beliefs grounded in false information, just like those grounded in truth, have neural origins and reflect connections in dedicated brain circuits. Individuals are organized to hold beliefs and to evaluate their merit based on facts and experiences. Studies of neurodegenerative disorders that target selective brain networks shed light on the neural mechanisms that underlie the creation and sustenance of beliefs that are not based in reality."
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Re: A lot of Ivermectin claims based on fake/false data

Post by mister_coffee »

That's been known for a while.

Just my opinion: this isn't an education problem, this is a mental health problem. When people are willing to believe any ridiculous thing (e.g. that you can treat covid by gargling hydrogen peroxide, or that pre-treating yourself with horse medicine will keep you covid-free) but will not listen to their family doctor, trusted and respected family members, or trustworthy members of their own community when it comes to their own health and safety education is most definitely not the problem. What we are seeing today is best described as a kind of mass hysteria.

Many people may question whether I have the expertise to make that kind of claim. I'll argue that I don't have to be a chef to know that I'm looking at a cheeseburger.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

A lot of Ivermectin claims based on fake/false data

Post by pasayten »

A lot of Ivermectin claims based on fake/false data...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/you-w ... ewer_click
pasayten
Ray Peterson