Snow report for wolf creek

PAL

Re: Snow report for wolf creek

Post by PAL »

Noticed the chop today from the Town Trailhead. I was on classics. Even expert skate skiers were catching edges and falling and it's flat. I think I had read about an equipment malfunction a couple of days ago. A groomer was being hauled in through the parking lot as I was leaving around noon. Classic tracks set on one side of the wider platforms and not the other. Or they are trying to "save" it by not overgrooming. At any rate it was still good kick and glide on the no wax.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Some rain forecast until 11:00 am, I see. Just wonderful. It will indeed make the trails groom out nicely eventually.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Yes, little avalanches keep coming down on my freshly shoveled steps! I finally triggered them on purpose and hopefully it will stay put. I stood back, so no worries anyone, I wasn't going to get buried. I did wear a whistle around my neck in case anything did happen.
Will ski the trails tomorrow, but there is supposed to be some winds, so will hopefully find a spot that is sheltered. I know Wolf Cr. is probably not that place!
Watch out for trees unloading because they could cause injury, I'm not kidding.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

More snow, lots, on the way Sunday night. Warmer days too and maybe less crowded trails. Trail etiquette is non-existent at times it seems. I know what I would like to say to people rudely blocking the trail, but hold my tongue and just politely say excuse me. It's the worst, when you are in the flow or going down a hill. This is why I don't do the trails, if I can help it, during this busy time. Setting our own tracks, in the woods and yes it is hard work, is the most rewarding, especially for the ride swooshing through the powder back down. And I get it, if you are a skater, you gotta have the groomed trails.
Main thing is to have fun.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Very much blown in out in the open and contaminated with debris in the trees.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Great classic skiing today. My Toko Green wax was a little sticky but I hopefully can smooth it out and maybe put a layer of Mint over it.

"Mint" is a colder wax in the Toko system than Green. Almost cold enough for the old Swix Polar.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Is the platform rough and/or chunky? With the light it's hard to tell. Doesn't look like that smooth corduroy. I'm mainly a classic skier.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

A bit cold when we started up Twisp River. 3 and by the time we turned back 6. Had to break trail beside a snowmobile track that was not skiable due to snow texture. Not to complain, as it looked like they bogged down in several places, until they settled down and could go in a fairly straight line. Off to the side, nice powder, sinking about 6-7". Keeps us warm breaking trail.
The trails will get really better after this cold snap. Once we have a thaw or a crust develops, we will be on the trails.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Yesterday you had a choice between being in the open and exposed to the wind, and being in the trees and having the trail contaminated with debris.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Balaclava is the way to go. Handwarmers in pockets, toe warmers, some kind of shell parka, heavy duty long johns plus nylon zip pants. And keep moving. I didn't feel bad today at 7 degrees. Out for a couple of hours, not skiing.
Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, so yes, off the Valley floor and not on the trails as we'll ski, come hell or high water.
Alf, sound like Wolf Cr. got some wind. They will groom it out hopefully.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

My hat froze this morning.

Tomorrow I will wear a balaclava.

Also I recommend skiing off the valley floor tomorrow, as cold air sinks.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I have been track skiing on my Madshus waxable classics most of this week. Speaking of which, time to add some more grip...
PAL

Post by PAL »

I know skating is like dancing or flying, but...try off trail on logging roads. Work to break a trail, but coming down is a blast, especially out of the track with powder flying. Oh, we are blessed right now with pow!
I think the groomed trails are going to be very good, when I get on them. But taking advantage of the loose stuff now, until it becomes crusty at some point.
Forecast temp one night in Spokane area is -17. Hope that doesn't happen here, but we know it can.
Dry snow warrants waxables for sure.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I stocked up on the LF waxes last winter when I heard they were all being discontinued. The HF waxes are not safe to apply unless you wear a respirator max and have a vent hood over your waxing bench.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Plenty of snow today!!! (Saturday) :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Re: snow report for wolf creek

Post by mister_coffee »

Cougar Bait was good if minimally groomed and a bit sticky...
PAL

Post by PAL »

At least 8" six miles up Twisp River in addition to the four we had. Good stuff. Turned a bit warm, (30) so now we have a base.
Pearl Cherrington
joseysranch

Post by joseysranch »

finally feels like winter!
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Looks like we will get a good bit of snow Friday and Saturday. We shall see...