Jan. 6th

PAL

Re: Jan. 6th

Post by PAL »

Yes, it is swinging back, it seems, so all the more reason, as Chris says for there to be support from the less "radical" elements. Maybe, maybe.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The radical right is the GQP now.

An example would be;

Say in Montana or Idaho or eastern Wa and the primary has both a moderate and radical Republican candidate up for election who will eventually run against the token Democrat. Since a Democrat has no chance to win anyway, moderate democrats should help elect that moderate Republican.

Same in Western Washington, Moderate Republicans should help elect a moderate Democrat over a radical left Democratic candidate since the republican candidate has little chance to win there.

Edit to add: It would be like having a third party with moderate Democrats and Republicans joining together.

We could call it the party of Reason. :ugeek:
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

Agree. So that if they join together that would be a party, and that would be against the radical right? And the radical right would be a party. So we would still have a 2 party system? A one party system is not what we want, do we? This raises questions about what we want for our country.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:07 am And Kinzinger is not running for re-election unfortunately. I am glad he is speaking out, even though I may not agree with all of his platform. Is there a movement afoot to create a "new" Republican party? Or try to regain the values of the old party, as when Eisenhower was around?
Justice moves so slowly it seems in this document request. They are hiding something or they would turn over these docs.
he's being gerrymandered out of his district by the Democrats of that State.

He's not done with politics however.

A path to wealth for a politician is to become a lobbyist for a while and then become elected or appointed to a position so they came serve that special interest.

Term limits and getting dark money out of our political system are solutions that might help with legal corruption.

As far as the bringing back the GOP, and reviving it's values, that's is a lost cause. Too far gone.

Moderates on the Right and left should join together and reject the extremes of both parties. Help each other to elect moderates in areas where the extremes of the party are likely to be elected.
PAL

Post by PAL »

And Kinzinger is not running for re-election unfortunately. I am glad he is speaking out, even though I may not agree with all of his platform. Is there a movement afoot to create a "new" Republican party? Or try to regain the values of the old party, as when Eisenhower was around?
Justice moves so slowly it seems in this document request. They are hiding something or they would turn over these docs.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

January 6: Seeking to block documents request, Trump legal team falsely claims FBI, Senate committee have cleared him of wrongdoing
cdavis@insider.com (Charles Davis) 7 hrs ago

Former President Donald Trump is fighting efforts to investigate his role in the January 6 riot.
In October, he sued to prevent congressional investigators from obtaining White House records.
Legal experts have described the litigation as a delay tactic.
Lawyers for former President Donald Trump on Tuesday filed a legal brief that falsely claims FBI and Senate investigators have cleared his administration of wrongdoing with respect to the January 6 insurrection.

In a 33-page document filed with the US District Court for the District of Colombia, attorneys for Trump argue the House select committee investigating the US Capitol riot should be barred from obtaining White House records, claiming the panel has "already prejudged the facts and circumstances of January 6."

But the attorneys support their argument by saying that Trump did nothing wrong by falsely claiming this was the conclusion of two separate investigations.

"Notwithstanding their allegations and insinuations of conspiracy," the legal brief says of the bipartisan special committee, "investigations by the FBI and the Senate Committee on Government Affairs and Homeland Security rebuff their contentions of wrongdoing by Trump Administration officials. "

While anonymous FBI sources told Reuters in August that their investigation had not uncovered a direct role by Trump and those around him in "organizing the violence" on January 6, that investigation has not concluded and hasn't cleared the previous administration of any "wrongdoing."

Nor has any Senate committee exonerated Trump officials: The Senate report, released by the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and the Committee on Rules and Administration in June of 2021, cited by the former president's lawyers - which they state "never faulted anyone at the White House" - was narrowly focused on "the security, planning, and response failures of the entities directly responsible for Capitol security," as well as intelligence failures by law enforcement.

The select congressional committee investigating the January 6 attack, which is charged with investigating any Trump administration role in the insurrection is the one seeking records from the previous White House, a request approved by the administration of President Joe Biden. (Biden, as the current president, is waiving executive privilege for the records that Trump's attorneys are trying to claim to keep the records from being released.)

That panel has zeroed in on a Trump team "command center" at a Washington hotel where personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, former White House adviser Steve Bannon, and others coordinated efforts "to deny Biden the presidency," The Washington Post reported.

In their Tuesday filing, Trump's attorneys ask that, if the court should not block the committee's request for records altogether, it should instead subject them to a "full judicial review," delaying the panel's investigation and limiting production to those documents the court deems necessary.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Quote by Republican representative Adam Kinzinger Jul 27, 2021

"We never imagined this could happen: an attack, by our own people, fostered and encouraged by those granted power through the very system they sought to overturn. But as I said in my opening remarks, these officers won—they held the line and defended our democracy."

From the Internet bio:

Adam Daniel Kinzinger is an American military officer and politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Illinois's 16th congressional district. The district covers eastern Rockford, most of Rockford's suburbs, and a swath of exurban territory around Chicago. He is a member of the Republican Party
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

There are a lot of people involved in this mess that are still at large. Who at least ought to be questioned by the FBI if not charged with a crime.

They haven't found the guy in the hoodie who planted the pipe bombs. Not a trace of him. (Pipe bombs were planted at DNC and RNC headquarters the night before the riot at the Capitol).
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Just viewed the CNN article. Outrageous. Why isn't this guy in jail? Do not enough people know about this and what could be done anyway. Guess he has those Congressional leaders charmed and wrapped.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

and this weekend most will be celebrating the 4th of July... independance, food, drink, and fireworks... completely forgetting the insurrection just 6 months ago... :-(
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Yes, to your post and about renouncing facts. That's why I won't post about the NY Tmes article on the other BB. I just want people to be aware and see how this all came together, that's the only reason I would post it. But it would turn into something.
I did notice in this video that the officers, keeping the insurgents at bay, did not wale on people, like the police do on people of color and the BLM protesters. Of course, I think they were freaked out by the size of the crowd. When the 1st person entered the capitol, it was just one insurgent momentarily with one officer, that didn't know what to do, according to the video. I wonder what would have happened if he had fired a shot, then ran away down the hallway. When the woman insurgent got shot, which we have seen video of, but this was of a closer range, the insurgents really backed off and went away. All round tragedy and I know I am second guessing. These officers were outnumbered greatly, but when I watched the video I wanted those officers to really crack some heads. I believe it would have turned into an awful blood bath however.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Unfortunately there is a large minority of our population, even here, that have developed a worldview that is impervious to reason and has nothing to do with reality.

In the best case, they need to lose a lot of elections in the next several years, and then conservatives and Republicans will start realizing what all this is costing them as well as the rest of us. Perhaps then they can realize they have gone down a bad path and they can rationalize their way out of it somehow.

In the worst case, a lot of people are going to get killed in a large-scale outbreak of idiotic violence. I doubt such people could really take over the government (largely because they are really only supported by a minority of a minority) but those of us who are reasonable adults and do not wish to see more people die are likely to be appalled at the results.

At times I worry that advocating too loudly for reason might actually be physically dangerous. We know the right-wing kooks are awfully free with their death threats, and there are enough of them that are kooky enough and armed enough they might decide that something someone says online is reason enough to go give them serious lead poisoning.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that I don't know if a peaceful dialogue with people who have renounced facts is even possible.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, don't we know what would happen on the other BB if I posted something like the title, telling people to look up Day of Rage. I think it would devolve quickly but maybe I should be brave and do an experiment. We can be opposed, but what about those that support? I wonder if there are people reading the other BB that would actually be in support? ( Or this one even) I don't see how either, but there are friends of mine that support the conspiracy theories about the vaccine.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I do not understand how being vehemently opposed to such insanity could be considered "divisive".
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Yep, It was a plain and simple insurrection... No question about it...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/politics ... index.html
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Jan. 6th

Post by PAL »

You won't see this link or any mention of this on the other BB. As it would cause divisiveness, but it doesn't matter, because there is no tolerance for what went on, on Jan. 6th.
The more I watched the angrier and disgusted I got. This is the best in-depth video and reporting so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politi ... rters.html

Pearl
Pearl Cherrington