9 Wintry Wonderlands for New Cross-Country Skiers

PAL

Re: 9 Wintry Wonderlands for New Cross-Country Skiers

Post by PAL »

MT still allows people to work off their passes. We do have to pay for a membership-$50. Small price to pay for access to all the trails. The work we do is either helping at events, trail patroling or trailhead "ambassador", which is what I do. I check passes and help with parking and answer questions, help people with their bindings, put on glide wax if they need it. Meeting and greeting is alot of fun and people that have purchased passes are glad we are there. They love showing that they have bought a pass to support the system.
Mask wearing is done at the trailhead if I have to be up close to someone to help them with their skis or if there is a group. Otherwise, we can check their passes on their phone where I ask them to say the date of the ticket. Or they hold it out and I can see it from a distance.
The ski instructors are incredible, with many very experienced. They know their stuff.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Re: 9 Wintry Wonderlands for New Cross-Country Skiers

Post by Fun CH »

Nice thing about xc skiing is that once the gear is purchased, it can be free if you are willing to kick in your own trail or ski on snowmo trails.

And there are groomed areas that are free. I don't know how its done now, but when I first became involved with xc skiing using the MT trails, we were able to work off our season passes.

Then more work for the trail system paid off our life time passes. (My wife and PSIA certified instructor with 30 years of xc ski teaching experience did that work :D )

So free.

I was also able to alpine ski for free for 2 years at the loup by teaching skiing there and one year at Mission Ridge. The added bonus to teaching skiing is that you also get free ski lessons by some of the best clinicians out there. At Mission, that was Dee Burns, Calvin Yamamoto and the master himself, Gordy West.

And of course at the loup, Anne Henry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

9 Wintry Wonderlands for New Cross-Country Skiers

Post by pasayten »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/16/trav ... ion=Travel

Here’s a sampling of centers that offer a seamless introduction to cross-country skiing, with lessons, meticulously groomed trails and other activities nearby.

Along with other outdoor activities during the pandemic, cross-country skiing experienced a noticeable bump in participants last winter. Newcomers to the sport appreciated the fresh air and exercise, not to mention the relatively low cost when compared to Alpine skiing. And they likely discovered what has long drawn devotees: the carefree pleasure of gliding along a snow-muffled trail, whether in solitude or with a group of like-minded companions, and the understated beauty of a winter landscape.

In Sun Valley, Idaho, revenue at the ski area’s cross-country center increased 25 to 30 percent last winter compared to the previous one, according to the Nordic director, Steve Haims. He doubled his purchase of apparel, accessories like hats and gloves, and equipment for the center’s shop this winter.

In Jackson, N. H., more people than usual took cross-country ski lessons last winter. “It felt good to be able to offer people an outdoor experience,” said Ellen Chandler, the executive director of the Jackson Ski Touring Foundation, which oversees the area’s Nordic trails. “I think skiers were surprised sometimes,” said Ms. Chandler. “They expected it to be harder.”

“Cross-country skiing is an activity that’s easy to do for a half-hour or an hour — you can pretty much park right at the ski-area trailhead and, for the most part, there’s low impact on the body,” said Reese Brown, the executive director of the nonprofit Cross Country Ski Areas Association. Plus, Mr. Brown points out, the gear has advanced, with recreational skiers — who don’t have the same equipment-weight concerns as elite racers — able to opt for wider, shorter skis and warmer boots. (With global supply-chain issues affecting gear shipments, skiers should book rentals in advance.)

During the pandemic, cross-country skiers have avoided many of the restrictions faced by Alpine skiers. Last winter and this, the primary guidelines involve masking up inside day lodges. Some Nordic centers only offered private lessons last year and continue to do so, finding that many guests preferred them.

Ready to give cross-country a try? The sampling of centers here all offer a seamless introduction to the sport, through regularly scheduled lessons, meticulously groomed trails, on-site rentals and other activities nearby for when you need a break. But they are only a few options among many: Visit the Cross Country Ski Areas Association website for many more ideas.

and in the list...

Methow Valley
Washington
Seattle skiers regularly drive four or five hours to this valley in the North Cascades for some of the best cross-country skiing anywhere, with reliable snow, high-mountain scenery — and sun. (Skiers from out of state could also fly into Spokane, a three and-a-half hour drive.) Two hundred kilometers of groomed track — North America’s largest continuous trail system — connect the five small towns strung along the valley, anchored by the 32-kilometer Community Trail. Get started with lessons at the Methow Valley Ski School in Mazama or at Sun Mountain Lodge outside Winthrop. Then explore gentler routes like the Big Valley Inner and Outer Loops or head out on the flatter parts of the Community Trail from Mazama or from Winthrop (the middle section is hillier). A highlight: skiing across the Methow River on a 280-foot-long suspension bridge. Sun Mountain Lodge, overlooking Patterson Lake, has trails out its door. A few of them remain closed this winter following last summer’s wildfires, but the lodge itself has been thoroughly restored from smoke damage.

Details: Adult day pass, $25; private lessons, from $65; daily rentals, $25.
pasayten
Ray Peterson