Fun little visualization about COVID-19

PAL

Re: Fun little visualization about COVID-19

Post by PAL »

Many are linked to the Stampede, according to Lauri Jones, in Dept. of Health. Fair is still on and they are discussing those logistics as to how to keep people safe.
Board of County Commissioners meetings cancelled last 2 days due to Covid. Watch AV Capture of the commissioner meetings. Can watch live stream. Much comes out in these meetings and it is public knowledge. Andy Hover had Covid, awhile back, which he admits to having had and is believes in the bodies natural immune system to help with Covid.
When I was over there on the 24th, no masking except by employees. And I know, just know, a lot are not vaccinated.
Our Valley has shown some increase too, bit by bit.
Hubris.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
anonloser

Post by anonloser »

Wonder how many of those cases are going to end up being linked directly to Stampede
PAL

Post by PAL »

Makes my head spin. But factor this. Right now Omak as of Fri. had 22 new cases. Add all the others from the week and those are pretty big numbers.
It's a runaway train over there. The website gives the total for the week and I don't have it in front of me now.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Fun little visualization about COVID-19

Post by mister_coffee »

I got into a discussion today and somebody asked the question: is there any correlation between population density or size and covid rates? The thought was that perhaps COVID was more prevalent in big urban areas.

Well I grabbed some data for all 39 counties in Washington and proceeded to find out:
rate_v_pop.png
That shows the covid rate per person on the y-axis and the log of the population on the x-axis. The graphs look silly if you use the actual population.

This graph shows something a little different:
rate_v_density.png
Where you again have the covid rate per person on the y-axis and the log of the population density on the x-axis.

Now admittedly those graphs don't show you very much. However, if you take into account who those counties voted for things look very different:
rate_v_pop_scaled.png
There you have the same old covid rate versus population, but red dots indicate counties that voted for trump and blue dots indicate counties that voted for biden. Larger dots indicate larger margins of victory. Kind of stands out.

What you are seeing is that there is a definite trend that higher population counties have, on average, a higher covid rate per capita. But interestingly there are two separate trends, one for blue counties and one for red counties. And red counties appear to have higher covid rates than blue counties, if you control for population.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea: