A new hobby...

I have a new interest in Rockhounding... :-)
pasayten

Re: A new hobby...

Post by pasayten »

Yep... rockshed.com is a great store... have a 16" covington saw ordered thru them coming this month. :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Jingles

Re: A new hobby...

Post by Jingles »

You'll have lots of fun looking for those special rocks then running them through the 4 stages of tumbling to get the "perfect" polished finished product, and you'll end up with totally different rocks than you started with, sometimes pleasantly surprised. I know my 4 tumblers (2 six pounders, 1 four pounder and 1 three pounder) run 24/7 for weeks, looking to add a twelve pounder
Warning though you'll go through alot more media than you will expect, and regardless what tumbler manufactures say plan on tumbling longer that the suggested 7 days per stage to get the glass smooth finish plan on a minimum of 10 days to 2 weeks per stage.
Best prices I've found for media is the Rock Shed plus customer service and shipping is excellent
pasayten

A new hobby...

Post by pasayten »

Actually a resurrection of an old hobby... Avis and I were looking for a "healthy" outdoor hobby for us to participate in in our elder years... Rockhounding came up... fairly inexpensive and involves walking/hiking which is good exercise... We did quite a bit in the early 2000's but drifted away... We have returned with a new drive... lol

We joined Idaho Rocks & Gems Rock Hounding Club in March and traveled there to go on a Club dig for Blue Opals... We also have taken a Cabochon class and soon a Wire Wrapping class to make pendants and other jewelry. Set up a rock shop in the garage also... We are having a blast...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/idahorocksgems

https://idahorocksngems.com/
pasayten
Ray Peterson