Gotta loves those wolves ( sarcasm added)

mister_coffee

Re: Gotta loves those wolves ( sarcasm added)

Post by mister_coffee »

My source was wikipedia.

Even with a fatal attack every five years wolves are far less dangerous than cows or bumblebees.

For the record I have encountered wolves multiple times in the Pasayten and see them as animals to be respected, not feared. And no, don't come to my aid if they attack me. I'll take my chances and in the end there are far worse ways to die.

Oh, and dogs kill on the order of 15 people per year in the United States. So I think you are concerned about the wrong canid here.

Source: https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S108 ... %20animals.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

mister_coffee wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:45 pm
Jingles wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:13 pm Fine but don't want to any crying from certain folks when more pets or kids become prey because the only thing you'll hear is suck it up buttercup
Between 1950 and 2000 there were three fatal attacks by wolves on humans in North America. Three.

Maybe we should focus on things that are actually killing people rather than extrapolating wildly about what is likely a non problem.
Not sure where you are getting your info but a quick Google search came up with 4 fatal attacks between 1989 and and 2010
With 27 non fatal attacks between07/07/2006 and 05/29/2020

So for future reference let's clear something up ahead of time are you one of these people that think it would be nice to be attacked by wolves? Just asking so can decide whether to come to your aid or turn around and walk away and let nature take it course
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Jingles wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:13 pm Fine but don't want to any crying from certain folks when more pets or kids become prey because the only thing you'll hear is suck it up buttercup
Between 1950 and 2000 there were three fatal attacks by wolves on humans in North America. Three.

Maybe we should focus on things that are actually killing people rather than extrapolating wildly about what is likely a non problem.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Fine but don't want to any crying from certain folks when more pets or kids become prey because the only thing you'll hear is suck it up buttercup
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Review predator-prey cycles:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap- ... prey-cycle

Human attempts at managing predator-prey interactions don't have a great history.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

OK so folks stop feeding and habituating deer and they stay in the woods/ open country the wolves , cougars , bears and other predators further decimate the deer herds, ( current deer herds are a fraction of what they were even 10 years ago) the predators are still going to want to eat and will move to where they can find food, be it someone's dog, cat or kid. Some people need to realize that predator control needs to be done before that happens.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Jingles wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:38 pm ...
Also the wolves go where the food is and with the deer moving into town don't be surprised if sightings come closer to town
Sounds like maybe people should stop feeding and habituating deer then.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

mister_coffee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:27 am You can kill one wolf under certain circumstances:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx ... %20animals.

Also, a question. Multiple dogs are lost every year here from cougars and coyotes. Is it worse to lose a dog to wolves?

Has anyone confirmed the identification of the four animals that killed the dogs as wolves? Just saying because I've never seen anything but single wolves in the valley and packs tend to stay away from human habitation. Also people, even people who should know better, are awful at precisely identifying animals.
In answer to your question about confirmation if wolves?
Yes confirmed by WDFW
Also the wolves go where the food is and with the deer moving into town don't be surprised if sightings come closer to town
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Personally it matters not whether a pet is lost to a cougar, coyote, wolf or as I witnessed one time an eagle but when cougars, coyotes, and wolves become emboldened enough to attack pets in a families yards time to put the fear of man back into them and if that means either shooting to kill or at a minimum harass by injuring so be it.
This time a dog maybe next time a child
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

You can kill one wolf under certain circumstances:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx ... %20animals.

Also, a question. Multiple dogs are lost every year here from cougars and coyotes. Is it worse to lose a dog to wolves?

Has anyone confirmed the identification of the four animals that killed the dogs as wolves? Just saying because I've never seen anything but single wolves in the valley and packs tend to stay away from human habitation. Also people, even people who should know better, are awful at precisely identifying animals.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Pull a Sgt Schultz " I know nothing, I see nothing"
And remember "2 people can keep a secret only if one of them is dead" so say nothing
Shoot
Shovel
Shutup
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Better to know the laws first before having to resort to the green tips...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

pasayten wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:45 pm If you have/see wolves attacking your livestock/pets, can you legally shoot them?

Same issue with wild turkeys and your free range chickens... Can you legally shoot the turkeys? Or do you need a special permit from WDFW?

I know I can shoot a pack of dogs attacking my livestock... http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=16.08.020
SSS
And to be safer use something they can't do ballistics test on,
Buckshot , armor piercing to insure complete pass through
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

If you have/see wolves attacking your livestock/pets, can you legally shoot them?

Same issue with wild turkeys and your free range chickens... Can you legally shoot them? Or do you need a special permit from WDFW?

I know I can shoot a pack of dogs attacking my livestock... http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=16.08.020
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Jingles

Gotta loves those wolves ( sarcasm added)

Post by Jingles »

Property and dog owner up Texas creek is a German Shepard short after 4 wolves came into their yard killed and ate their German Shepard. To bad for the dog but the wife got to watch it all from the house, Nature at work.