Fat Bike Trails

Jingles

Re: Fat Bike Trails

Post by Jingles »

Thanks for the replies what I have makes a track 25 inches wide and although still learning where all it can or can not go have weaved between trees not not side hilling yet as still learning it's capabilities and tipping points but packs a nice trail with just me have used it to pack snow on too of gravel to avoid snow blowing the gravel. And did exactly what I was hoping for. Plus use it daily to run trap line.
Might be opening a can or worms here but if someone wants me to test it on their property for a test track feel free to give me a shout. Maybe get a few fat bikers together for a group evaluation
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Probably about 5 feet using the snowmobile trailers they use to groom, yes.

No reason you can't ride single track though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RYI0Nnm2DM
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

The trails Methow Trails pack down look to be about 4' wide, do you think David or maybe 5'. They use a snowmobile with something behind it I believe.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Basically if you can walk it you can ride a fat bike on it, unless it is outrageously steep. You might be riding very slowly and be uncomfortable but you can ride it. You can ride a well-walked footpath with modest effort. On the other hand it is often very difficult to traverse steep sidehills.

It is important to remember that a bike rider might be slightly taller than a walking human and that the widest part of the bike is the handlebars.

Generally most fat biking here is done on packed trails. Soft unpacked snow is often still ridable but can be very tough going.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Jingles

Fat Bike Trails

Post by Jingles »

Question and FYI
If you are a Fat Bike Rider curious as to how wide of a trail the Fat Bke riders need and how compressed it needs to be?

I recently acquired the means to possibly make some Fat bite trails depending on how wide and solid they need to be the trail I make while checking my traps is solid enough for 135 pound me to walk on without sinking in the snow that has accumulated in some of the elevations I'm trapping and wondering if the is sufficient?