Snowpark passes

mister_coffee

Re: Snowpark passes

Post by mister_coffee »

I think the last time there were additional federal law enforcement officers here to assist on anything was around 2008. My memories of the incident are murky but there were border patrol and DEA people in the Mazama area.

On that note, has anyone else noticed that the border patrol is not lurking around here anymore? Or at least not often enough for me to notice. I also haven't seen them on horseback in the Pasayten in recent years either. Honestly I always considered that an extremely idiotic enterprise.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Wildlife officers do assist the Forest Service LEO at times. But they have a sparse crew as well.
They probably would not be making special trips up there.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Sno-Parks are a state program so I very much doubt that the single USFS law enforcement officer in the valley would be enforcing parking permits there.

There is only one USFS law enforcement officer in the valley and it isn't surprising that a lot of stuff slips through the cracks. If you wanted more effective enforcement I'd write Dan Newhouse and tell him.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Is there any skiing to be had in the meadow at Wa Pass? We used to go up there and toodle around. What are the snow conditions. Ice crust, soft, fluff?
Lots of people or hardly any during the week?
Thanks.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

So is there still going to be or is there a Snowpark up at Silver Star? And from what I understand they move it back down if there is too much snow?
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:53 am
PAL wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:02 am The parking area at Early Winters would have to be enlarged. Might get some backlash from some residences up there and the Freestone.
Skiers can park at the Freestone Inn anyway and avoid the cr@pshow at Early Winters. Freestone would be even better if Jack's Hut were consistently open.
I try hard to avoid that scene you describe by leaving early and getting back late.

It's almost worse at the SStar snowpark.Take a pristine mountain area and turn it into a Disney land parking lot. What was the FS thinking when they put that thing in?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

We usually park at Basecamp and we never ski on the week-ends.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

PAL wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:02 am The parking area at Early Winters would have to be enlarged. Might get some backlash from some residences up there and the Freestone.
Skiers can park at the Freestone Inn anyway and avoid the cr@pshow at Early Winters. Freestone would be even better if Jack's Hut were consistently open.
PAL

Post by PAL »

The parking area at Early Winters would have to be enlarged. Might get some backlash from some residences up there and the Freestone.
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Fun CH wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:07 pm I will be advocating for the State Early Winters parking lot to become a Snow Park. It's
Long past time for those who use that lot to help pay for its maintenance.
Sounds reasonable if someone uses something that someone else maintains then yes they should help pay for the maintenance fees
Problem I foresee is you'll end up with folks parking close to the area but not at the snowpark to avoid buying the pass, similar to the parking area at Rizor lake where Gunn Ranch road is clogged with cars and the parking lot is empty because folks to cheap to buy the discover pass.

Also advocate for the county and state to start citing and towing vehicles blocking or partially blocking the roads. Enough folks start having to pay a $200.00 towing fee they'll soon decide a $30.00 or $50.00 pass fee is a cheap good alternative.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Would that be where the cross country folks park as well? Would you want people to have a snow park pass as well as a Methow Trails ski pass?
Just want your thoughts, not confrontational.
That whole area has become quite busy over the years as you know.
I remember when...well, I remember I went up there alone and skied up the highway and there was no one else around. Not even snowmobilers. It was mid week. That was in 1992 abouts. I saw the most beautiful sight. A mom coyote and her two pups.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

I will be advocating for the State Early Winters parking lot to become a Snow Park. It's
Long past time for those who use that lot to help pay for its maintenance.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

According to this: https://parks.wa.gov/sno-park-permit-vendors …they are also available at:
- Pearrygin Lake State Park,
- Loup Loup Ski Bowl,
- Pardners,
- Methow Cycle and Sport and
- Winthrop Mountain Sports.

And on-line: https://epermits.parks.wa.gov/Store/SNO/SnoChoice.aspx

I thought Do-it hardware in Twisp carried them, but no longer, apparently.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Seasonal permits are $50. You usually can purchase them at Hanks. If you park in the lots you need the permit.

Apparently you can also purchase them online.
Jingles

Snowpark passes

Post by Jingles »

Looked for topic without success, so new posting,
I understand that those with snowmobiles can gt their snowpack pass when the get their yearly tabs, my question is where can a non snowmobiler get a pass and what is the fee? I will be using the trails on occasion to run a trap line and feel I probably to at least have a pass even if just using snowshoes.