School board vote?

pasayten

Re: School board vote?

Post by pasayten »

I like and respect Mike Liu also... Voted for him too. He had a great letter to the editor posted whether he won or lost...
I totally agree with his letter.

Dear Editor:

By the time this week’s paper is published, Election Day will be over. Whether I’m elected or not, I believe the competitive race for school board has brought community awareness and focus to our schools, and to our students.

This is a good thing. They both deserve the attention of our community. After all, today’s students are tomorrow’s leaders. Our nation’s future depends on parents, teachers, and community members working together to help students be prepared for the life ahead of them. We have a good school, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t issues we need to tackle. Our poor math proficiency scores and declining academic achievement scores need to be improved. We must have consistent and meaningful consequences for bullying and unacceptable behavior at school (and on the bus ride home).

We need to be able to differentiate between teaching, and indoctrination. Mental health issues such as: suicidal thoughts, depression, and gender dysphoria, need to be handled with wisdom and caution by both trained counselors and parents. Parents need to have easy pathways to be informed and involved in the education of their children.

These are just some of the important topics I hope our new school board will remember. I’ll close by thanking all the school board candidates for their time and willingness to serve in an unpaid and often thankless position. Thanks also to the parents, teachers, administrators, and community members who cared enough to show up at events where these issues were discussed.

Michael Liu

Twisp
I also liked Austin... He had skin in the game... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Re: School board vote?

Post by Fun CH »

I just want to say that Mike Liu is a decent guy. I've had several meetings with him as our local Forest Service District ranger. At those meetings, we BC skiers were dealing with the North Cascade Heli skiing actions that turned out to be FS special use permit violations and environmental damage through the unauthorized and illegal destruction of a then federally listed sensitive species; ie white bark pine trees (now listed as threatened).

While I didn't completely agree with all of his decisions while having to deal with this rouge guide /outfitter, and we had heated discussions at times, he did his job well with respect for all concerned. I imagine he was under enormous political pressure at the time.

I think he would have been be a fine school board member, which is why I voted for him.

I don't know Frank Kline but I'm sure he will do a good job as well.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
just-jim

School board vote?

Post by just-jim »

I was glad to see that the more common sense candidates won over the apparent book-banning, gender bashing, teaching creationism contingent. Pretty handily, too…2:1 to nearly 3:1.

Congratulations!