Discussion of public facilities and luxuries in the Methow Valley

Fun CH

Re: Discussion of public facilities and luxuries in the Methow Valley

Post by Fun CH »

The FOP states on their current web site (it appears to be changed once again) that the $20+million dollar is the plan. That is that plan that was summited to the Okanagan County Commissioners.

"The MAC draft plan (from the feasibility study) includes two pools of different designs and temperatures for a diverse user group ranging in age from young to old and varying mobilities. A six-lane pool would be used for lap swimming, swim competitions, and other higher exertion activities where cooler water is best. Alongside this, would be a warmer recreational pool suited to children’s lessons, exercise for adults, and rehabilitation."

The newest FOP narrative that the final plan will depend on community input is a ruse to make voters think they have some sort of control.

We don't except to vote no on prop 1.

If passed, a Metropolitan Park District requires no further voter input except if they want to raise an excess levy beyond the max regular levy rate of .75/$1000 of assessed property value.

They can also come back to voters to raise the current non voter approved $7 million dollar debt limit. Debt limit is based upon the almost $3 billion of total assessed property value in our school district. That increased debt limit could be up to an additional $60 million of general obligation bond debt, with a max 20 year term.

They play, we pay plus interest.

Best solution is to vote no on prop 1 or face an enormous tax burden.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

I just got the for Prop One flyer in the mail. They don't know anything. What the tax rate will be, what the design is and oh no, it's certainly not for a $20 million pool. They wasted $1500.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:16 am

Once again, you have a combative and minority viewpoint in many things that most folks cannot relate to or accept... That minimizes your effectiveness in bringing change to anything of significance.

Like it or not there's a reality to how people vote. It would be helpful for people running for office to understand that reality.

Trust is a value that is important to me. In the luxury Pool voting decision, I just don't trust many of the people involved because of their current display of values, like taxing the poor for their luxury desires and the other poor decisions they've made so far. Their associations and past behavior are also a concern.

Even if you trust the current people, look to the unknown unelected future MPD board commissioners and how they will use our tax dollars to build whatever recreational facilities that may support their agenda and or self gain.

In the case of the Fire district

I'm going to vote for someone I trust over someone I don't know.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4110983/

"Similarly in the political arena: successful self-presenters create social bonds with an audience not only by finding the right words but also by displaying the “right” behavior"

"Consequently, in addition to voter and candidate ideology (e.g. Caprara, Barbaranelli, Consiglio, Picconi, & Zimbardo, 2003; Roets & Van Hiel, 2009), politicians’ appearance and their nonverbal behaviors may also affect people’s voting behavior and how they judge candidate personality."

"People’s voting decisions may be guided by traits they value high in themselves.
to their own "
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Well, for whatever reasons, you are not a fire commissioner of Fire District 6... the electorate spoke 1572 to 766 and I am comfortable with that.

Once again, you have a combative and minority viewpoint in many things that most folks cannot relate to or accept... That minimizes your effectiveness in bringing change to anything of significance.

You can always run and try again...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

No, you face it Ray, you don’t actually investigate to know what you’re talking about on certain subjects. You’re loathe to ever admit you make decisions like voting based on feelings. You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to firefighting, station locating and appropriate build for needed response, all information I have at my fingertips. But because you don’t like my personality or style you find lame excuses and personal attacks to make yourself feel better about no real effort to learn more or understand fully the issues.

I don’t know if you were an effective and intelligent manager of the co-op. People ‘liking’ you really isn’t how I measure competence. And I wouldn’t argue against your work without discovering more about the subject and honestly listening to you and what issues you may have had to work through to explain your choices and management efforts. I’m just disappointed others don’t take true investigation and honest review of the issues and individuals capabilities/experience before judging them unworthy or unqualified. You certainly had the opportunity to discuss this with me but I think like many ‘Christian’s’ you placed judgement of me with one-sided information and limited knowledge. And you continue that here because I don’t bow to your acceptable views.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Actually, folks were very happy with my rate analysis tools and help setting rates that were fair to all members of the coop. We also had excellent financials.

Face it Ken... you have a combative and minority viewpoint in many things that most folks cannot relate to or accept... That minimizes your effectiveness in bringing change to anything of significance.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

But nothing about how I’m unqualified or my points being inaccurate and my local firefighting experience coupled with my professional bigger fire department career being useful to moving our local emergency response into the 21st century. I also don’t recall you discussing anything about this with me, so if you only choose to listen to one point of view and vote based on who you like or because others like them rather than competency, experience and vision to move beyond what’s been done for years with very limited awareness of the state of the industry I really don’t mind not having your vote. I wonder now if backwoods, lack of knowledge and unawareness of best industry practice is how you ran the REA when you were there?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

dorankj wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:23 pm Funny, those were two different votes. But honestly knowing you better now I’m fine to not have your vote!
Yes... two different elections... Used same sources of trusted input for both. Lots of votes you didn't have. :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Funny, those were two different votes. But honestly knowing you better now I’m fine to not have your vote!
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

dorankj wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:39 pm You gave no reason why you voted for Brandenburg, so it seems gratuitous to throw that into the discussion that I was participating in.
"From their input, I voted for the new fire station and also Brandenburg for commissioner."

As in Brandenburg would make a better commissioner than you... Successful businessman to boot... Seems clear enough for me...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

You gave no reason why you voted for Brandenburg, so it seems gratuitous to throw that into the discussion that I was participating in.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

dorankj wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:38 am Thanks for the unnecessary and gratuitous kick to the nutz Ray! I can always count on you. I can’t imagine why those who really have no other idea about firefighting would say they should keep doing what they’re doing?
You questioned folk's reasons for voting the way they did... I gave you mine. You shouldn't get all balls hurt about that.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:49 am You attempted to smear me right here! Catch a clue while in your Jihad.
You are mistaken. I don't know you or your actions from a hole in the wall.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

You attempted to smear me right here! Catch a clue while in your Jihad.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:39 am I’m not, that was my point. You’re a real smear machine!
How so? If facts smear a entity how am I responsible for that? Don't you think the public has a right to know facts about issues concerning the public?
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

I’m not, that was my point. You’re a real smear machine!
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:48 am Are you trying to smear me as a supporter of the MPD? How does someone who builds buildings have any better knowledge about where to locate a fire station for best response to the community? And how does that builder understand better what is needed for effective FF training? I like people who are best effective at what they do and involve themselves in sometimes despite their personal traits or whether I would hang out with them off duty. I’ll take the best pilot I can find even if they’re a jerk over the nicest person around who really sucks at landings!
I didn't know that you were a supporter of establishing a Metropolitan Park District that will tax and take much needed to money from low income families to fund a luxury indoor 2 pool and hot tub facility and whatever other recreational facilities the unelected board desires to build.

Do you trust politicians or others who's corporations have violated the law, got caught, and caught again and then smear and harress the people who reported that behavior to the authorities and the public?

I don't and they don't get my vote.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

🍿 🍿 🍿 🍿 🍿
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Are you trying to smear me as a supporter of the MPD? How does someone who builds buildings have any better knowledge about where to locate a fire station for best response to the community? And how does that builder understand better what is needed for effective FF training? I like people who are best effective at what they do and involve themselves in sometimes despite their personal traits or whether I would hang out with them off duty. I’ll take the best pilot I can find even if they’re a jerk over the nicest person around who really sucks at landings!
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:08 pm If you had any idea about the fire service and what kills firemen you wouldn’t even say what you just said! Brandenburg wasn’t even a firefighter for very long, his wife’s POV (even though I find her a great person and good at her job) is irrelevant in this subject. So sad to find out this is how people vote! Whatever, you don’t even know what you don’t know.
Number 1 killer of firefighters is cancer.

I trusted Sheila's husband's opinion, who has a lot of experience with heavy equipment constuction where safety is the number one concern, on the new fire hall and as a commissioner.

And yes, the character of the people involved in a political issue, like it or not, is relevant in making voting decisions.

I do not trust people who think establishing a Metropolitan Park District here, which takes money from low income families, to fund a luxury Mega MAC is a good idea.

I don't trust political organizations who mislead voters in voter pamphets on important issues like MPD debt limits.

And I definitely don't trust vested corporate owners, who have already violated the public trust, to be possible appointed MPD
Commissioners or highly paid corporate officers of that MPD.

Vote no on prop 1
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Thanks for the unnecessary and gratuitous kick to the nutz Ray! I can always count on you. I can’t imagine why those who really have no other idea about firefighting would say they should keep doing what they’re doing?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

I work with John Owen in Kiwanis and respected his opinion. Also know Fire Chief Cody Acord. From their input, I voted for the new fire station and also Brandenburg for commissioner.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

If you had any idea about the fire service and what kills firemen you wouldn’t even say what you just said! Brandenburg wasn’t even a firefighter for very long, his wife’s POV (even though I find her a great person and good at her job) is irrelevant in this subject. So sad to find out this is how people vote! Whatever, you don’t even know what you don’t know.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:13 pm Well your ‘reasoning’ that because the old fire station was small and some big expansive training ground was supposedly needed misses the nuance and experience I have on this subject. Just blindly voting for that on such simplistic justification is similar to those you think should dig far deeper on the MPD.
naw, I just didn't want to see a fighter killed or injured in a small firehouse building located in a residential neighbor hood where children are walking around.

Didn't you want to be a fire commissioner and so had a vested interest in your POV?

If you want my nuanced POV on this, I had a lot of faith in Brandenburgs opinion on the new firehall only because his wife Sheila is an angel who was critical to my father's care when he was going through the last 6 months of his life.

I don't think a lot of people understand what seniors face until they've gone through the critical needs of their parents as they became sick and dying. Money is literally their lifeblood at that point and every penny is needed for their care. Creating a Metropolitan Park District, as prop 1 proposes, would be a drain on critical needs and resources.

With the regular levy that prop 1 will create, I don't want to see low income seniors and families hurt and be forced give up their critical needs just so the entitled in this Valley can have a swim in an indoor heated pool in the middle of January.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Well your ‘reasoning’ that because the old fire station was small and some big expansive training ground was supposedly needed misses the nuance and experience I have on this subject. Just blindly voting for that on such simplistic justification is similar to those you think should dig far deeper on the MPD.