FOTP Facebook - My 9/15 comments

Fun CH

Re: FOTP Facebook - My 9/15 comments

Post by Fun CH »

That .02 sales tax option is the best plan to fund operations and a rebuild if the Wagner pool. That option ensures that the pool will stay in Twisp..

As far as a 6 year levy option for a rec district. That ensures the rec board is accountable to voters. But I agree now that the sales tax increase option is a viable solution I see no need for any recreational District.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Re: FOTP Facebook - My 9/15 comments

Post by PAL »

Here is another maybe option from FOP Facebook.

Author
Friends of the Pool - Twisp
Carolanne Steinebach which is exactly why the preferred option is indoor…it would likely be too costly to have two separate pool facilities. On the other hand maybe there’s another scenario where an outdoor pool is rebuilt and a small warmer indoor pool for therapy and lessons could be viable. The study didn’t evaluate all possible options. Still much planning to do, and we the need the district for the support of this type planning. That’s why a vote yes means more options to consider with good evaluation and public input.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

FOTP Facebook - My 9/15 comments

Post by pasayten »

Since they blocked me from their Facebook page with my regular Facebook account, I had to use my second account that I use with my grandkids to view and comment on their site...

PapaPete Peterson
Why didn’t you chose one of the other two district types that have a 6 year levy cycle? They have more than sufficient potential tax revenues for your stated operations/maint of the complex. Note that I am not in favor of any park/rec district. Maybe a sales tax addon could have been worked out.

Question: Are you afraid if the Board and pool doesn’t cut it with the community priorities or expectations that it might be voted down in a future cycle? Why don't you trust the voters? You expect the voters to trust the appointed Board.

Do you also need the district to help fund the construction with the MPD format for taxing authority and debt funding? Were your petition signature seekers clear on this point and other powers of an MPD? I doubt it.

With a MPD permanent taxing authority and appointed Board, you will have NO guaranteed accountability to the taxpayers who are footing the bill. The "Citizens Advisory Committee" are "nominated/selected" by the Board itself and may not be representative of the whole taxpayer community. In addition the CAC are advisory only. The Board can really do what it likes.

PapaPete Peterson
"Few doubt the importance or need for a community pool. Many have reservations or objections about the Methow Aquatics District, the levy, and the governance structure chosen to lead this effort."
Why not an elected Board?

From the FOTP website...
"How will the commissioners be selected?
As it is currently written, each Town Council will appoint two commissioners: one elected council member and one member-at-large. The members-at-large will be appointed every two years to fill the seats. Anyone living within the Aquatics District boundaries can be nominated as an at-large commissioner.
The 5th rec district commissioner will be our County Commissioner from District 2.
This structure is a common form of governance for districts with limited purposes like transit and EMS districts that operate between more than one town or county. It’s a proven structure that works, is accountable, and transparent."

As of 2021, MRSC (https://mrsc.org/.../park-and.../metrop ... -districts) is aware of 23 metropolitan park districts within the state. 8 were for pools. Of the 8, 6 have elected Boards. Why not choose an elected Board so the taxpayers/voters have a more direct involvement in how the District is run? Your structure is NOT the common form. Are you afraid that an elected Board might have some members that are independent thinkers and are not in lockstep with your plan?

The 8 MPD's in Washington that focus on pools...

Des Moines Pool Metropolitan Park District Nov. 2009 Des Moines Elected board Maintain and operate existing Mt. Rainier Pool (with additional funding from Normandy Park MPD and Highline School District).

Normandy Park Metropolitan Park District Nov. 2009 Normandy Park City council (ex officio) Help fund existing Mt. Rainier Pool (along with Des Moines Pool MPD and Highline School District).

Odessa Metropolitan Park District Nov. 2020 Odessa School District within Lincoln County Elected board Maintain and improve Odessa swimming pool facilities.

Si View Metropolitan Park District Feb. 2003 North Bend and nearby unincorporated King County Elected board Operate the Si View Park Community Center and Pool, which had been closed due to county budget cuts, as well as other park facilities.

Stevenson Community Pool District Feb. 2021 City of Stevenson and urban growth area Elected board Maintain and operate Stevenson swimming pool

Tukwila Pool Metropolitan Park District April 2011 Tukwila Elected board Operate the Tukwila Pool, preventing potential closure following recession and general fund shortfalls.

White Salmon Valley Pool Metropolitan Park District Nov. 2018 Bingen-White Salmon Elected board Construct, operate, and maintain White Salmon Valley swimming pool

William Shore Memorial Pool Park District May 2009 Port Angeles School District No. 121 (City of Port Angeles and part of unincorporated Clallam County) 2 county commissioners, 2 city councilmembers, 1 resident elected by the board Operate the William Shore Memorial Pool, preventing its closure.

PapaPete Peterson
From the FOTP webpage...
How will the Aquatics District be funded?
Creating this Aquatics District means that all property owners within the district will pay a tax based on the assessed value of their property. For every $100,000 of property value you own, the most you’d pay is $75. The tax will never be more than that, but it could be less.
They kind of throw out the maximum $75 tax value as a distraction... Here is a table for most assessed values:
$100K - $75 per year
$200K - $150
$300K - $225
$400K - $300
$500K - $375
$600K - $450
$700K - $525
$800K - $600
$900K - $675
$1mil - $750
Per year... Forever...
Plus, they can issue debt and propose ADDITIONAL excess levies.

PapaPete Peterson
The FOTP is always hyping the property tax exemption program for fixed income folks so as the Proposition 1 tax levy burden will be lessened on them...
There are a few factors they do not openly disclose...

If you are a renter, you will most likely not realize any exemption as the full amount will most likely be passed on to you.

This is basically a senior citizen exemption only... No exemption for low income families...
To qualify:
• At least 61 years of age.
• At least 57 years of age and the surviving spouse or
domestic partner of a person who was an exemption
participant at the time of their death.
• Unable to work because of a disability.
• A disabled veteran with a service-connected
evaluation of at least 80% or receiving compensation
from the United States Department of Veterans
Affairs at the 100% rate for a service-connected
disability.

Level 1 income seniors will get no exemption as Proposition 1 will be a regular levy and not an excess levy.

Level 2 and 3 will get only partial exemptions... 35% (max $70K) and 60% of assessed value respectively

Property tax levies eligible for exemption:
There are three levels of exemption depending on your
final calculated combined disposable income.
• Level 3 - You are exempt from paying excess levies
and Part 2 of the state school levy. Generally
speaking, excess levies are the voter-approved levies.
• Level 2 - You are exempt from paying excess levies,
Part 2 of the state school levy, and regular levies
on $50,000 or 35% of the assessed taxable value,
whichever is greater (but not more than $70,000 of
the taxable value).
• Level 1 - You are exempt from paying excess levies,
Part 2 of the state school levy, and regular levies
on $60,000 or 60% of the assessed taxable value,
whichever is greater

Okanogan
Level 1 $30,300
Level 2 $35,350
Level 3 $41,000
Deferral $45,450

Read the rules of the program!!! Fixed/low income seniors, individuals, and families will still be significantly burdened!
https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/ ... Senior.pdf

PapaPete Peterson
Fund the pool operations with a Sales Tax option

The FOTP looked at 4 funding methods... 3 park districts and a PFD sales tax option. They excluded the sales tax option because they thought it had to be county wide to generate enough revenue for operations, maint, AND supplement building the pool. The local city sales tax option WOULD WORK if it was for operations and maint ONLY!!! Build the pool with grants and donations... Don't build it on the back of all the taxpayers.

Year Tax Type Total Taxable
Twisp
2023 Quarter 1 Sales $9,064,861
2022 Quarter 4 Sales $12,132,721
2022 Quarter 3 Sales $13,333,064
2022 Quarter 2 Sales $12,176,874
Total Sales $46,707,520
Add 0.2% pool sales tax $93,415
Winthrop
2023 Quarter 1 Sales $13,161,226
2022 Quarter 4 Sales $16,394,175
2022 Quarter 3 Sales $24,148,852
2022 Quarter 2 Sales $19,262,811
Total Sales $72,967,064
Add 0.2% pool sales tax $145,934

Total Pool Sales Tax Revenue per year $239,349

I would not mind a local 0.2% sales tax add on to support a reasonable pool for the Valley. Much better than a Metropolitan Park District and a permanent property tax. In addition, tourists would also be helping to pay for the operations of the pool, not just the local tax payers. Food exemptions still exist so as to not to unreasonably burden the fixed/low income folks.
pasayten
Ray Peterson